Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Default The transgendered in the Poly Community.

Hello everyone!

This is Julia, the other half of Patti.
I am a non-operative transsexual female living fulltime in my chosen gender.
My question is this; In the poly community what do you think the overall poly population thinks of transgendered women but more so transsexual women?
Do we represent the extreme minority?
In the dynamic of a triad, quad would you consider a non-operative bisexual transsexual female a unicorn?
I consider myself one even though I'm married.
Would I be a overall turn off to "straight" men looking for a relationship such as a quad like another married couple?
Just like in other segments of society, transsexual people represent the fringe of the population, the same within the poly world as well?
I appreciate all of your thoughts and opinions.

Julia
Old 12-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Well, I guess it depends on how open minded ppl are. Myself, i am genderqueer and pansexual and poly, so your ID poses no problem to me, sister!

Also, so far, I have had one 3way w my tgirl gf and straight but open minded bf. It went very well. My gf is pre-op. I was the hinge of the V. Looking forward to more of these exps, seeing where they lead.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 12-16-2009, 02:41 PM

From what I have seen in the poly community, it is one of the more open and accepting groups. I think talk of transgender or transsexual may raise a few eyebrows, but poly people tend not to be too judgemental about who another person is with (as long as it is ethical).

I think the poly community tries to be open minded because acceptance of a lot of stuff we believe in usually comes from being open minded. In contract, swingers tend to be less accepting of gay men and transgender/transsexual people.

So I think you will find acceptance in the poly community. But for personal preference for a relationship? I am not sure. Personally, I tend to be attracted to a person overall. So looks, personality, ethics, intelligence, hobbies, etc all affect how attracted I am to that person. So I could be atracted to transsexual/transgender people. But since I have never done something like that before, I am partly guessing.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Our local poly community is extremely accepting of everyone in my exprerience. We have several transgender people in various stages of transition. I believe we have one woman who is in fact a post operation "unicorn".

Welcome!

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM

Hmmm...a good portion of the poly folk I know locally are genderqueer in some fashion, so I suspect the poly community as a whole is likely to be more accepting and welcoming than the general populace.

As for me, I identify folks by the gender they present, so anybody identifying as female is female, as far as I'm concerned. I've flirted with a couple of trans females, though haven't gotten involved with any as yet, and I'm straight (and I do wonder how sex would work for me were I to get involved with a woman with man bits).

And, oh, you can't qualify as a unicorn because you're not single.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhCrow View Post

And, oh, you can't qualify as a unicorn because you're not single.
I missed that..good call!

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM

The poly group that we hang out with is very accepting. At any given meeting we will have teenagers to folks in their 70's. A wide variety of sexualities, socioeconomic differences and political differences...

Like Seventhcrow said, I look for similar values, morals and ethics when looking for people to be in my life. Not one person will fill everything, but that doesn't matter, that is where strength of character and attraction come in. Look at Mono and I, VERY different in many ways, but there is something about his character and acceptance of others that endears me too him.

Personally I identify as pansexual and of course would welcome trans people into my relationship with my husband if that were within the realm of possibility... it isn't as I am in a polyfi relationship that is not open, but just saying.

Of all the cultures and sub cultures I have identified with Poly has been by far the most accepting and welcoming. We have a common thread, I think, and that is to love MORE and feel free within that love... that brings all kinds of people together. I get very excited by that!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 AM

I tend to agree that poly people tend to be more open-minded than the average non-poly population, but YMMV - I know that here in Upstate New York things are pretty conservative in general, so I don't know how comfortable people would be in general.

Personally, I would like to think of us being able to welcome everyone of any gender, or gender preference.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 AM

i am a cis woman but i have had a loving relationship with a pre-op trans-woman who remains a good friend. i can't speak for others in the poly community but i certainly wouldn't be trans-phobic and i would be very upset to think others were.
x

edited to add: i referred to her as pre-op only because that is how she identified herself at the time, and because she did go on to have surgery. i have friends who are trans who hate that term when applied to them because they do not plan to have surgery and do not identify as being pre- anything! full respect to them and to all of us in our diversity.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Like Magdlyn I am genderqueer and bi-paratrexual (see www.reneereyes.com for "Paratrexual"). So I would more than welcome a non-op TG in a poly group. I daresay most of my polyamours are transgender now!

Tags
trans, transgender, unicorn, unicorns