Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetheart View Post
R's parents are very zealous Christians who try to convert everyone to their denomination. When they started in on our kids, we drew the line.

The end result is: They're only allowed to see their grandkids as long as they don't mention religion to them in any way.

One of my friends dad said that I should have an excorcism on me. That was only after seeing me for 5 seconds. lol

"I don't long for a gender-free society, but I would dearly love one that wasn't gender-*stupid*."-- Elise Matthesen (in alt.polyamory)

"A cynic is a person searching for an honest man, with a stolen lantern."-- Edgar A. Shoaff
Old 12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsnlace View Post
A good example of evolution in humans that's happening now is antibiotic resistance.
I thought antibiotic resistance was a result of evolution in bacteria, not humans. And since they have a fairly short lifespan, bacteria can adapt through many generations in a fairly short period of time from our perspective.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
I thought antibiotic resistance was a result of evolution in bacteria, not humans. And since they have a fairly short lifespan, bacteria can adapt through many generations in a fairly short period of time from our perspective.
You're right, of course. I misspoke (or mis-typed). I really should stop multi-tasking so much. I recently read an article about how our use of medicines like antibiotics affect the evolution of the cells in our bodies, but I can't seem to find it again. It was something about how our over-use of antibiotics trains our bodies to not fight so hard against bacterial infections by lessening the selective pressures acting on our cells. I wish I could find it again, it was an interesting article.

Thanks for correcting me.

Don't try to tell me who you are; tell me who you love.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change. So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding and love.
-- Jennifer Edwards
Old 12-16-2009, 04:22 AM

hmm...bacteria in a religious thread...works for me...

"I don't long for a gender-free society, but I would dearly love one that wasn't gender-*stupid*."-- Elise Matthesen (in alt.polyamory)

"A cynic is a person searching for an honest man, with a stolen lantern."-- Edgar A. Shoaff
Old 12-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsnlace View Post
You're right, of course. I misspoke (or mis-typed). I really should stop multi-tasking so much. I recently read an article about how our use of medicines like antibiotics affect the evolution of the cells in our bodies, but I can't seem to find it again. It was something about how our over-use of antibiotics trains our bodies to not fight so hard against bacterial infections by lessening the selective pressures acting on our cells. I wish I could find it again, it was an interesting article.

Thanks for correcting me.
Interesting. I'd love to hear about that article if you find it. Though I would wonder how much the antibiotics are having an effect on how cells activate or not activate their processes, which would point more towards environmental factors, as compared with changing the genetic makeup of the cell, which would point more towards evolution.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I'd love to hear about that article if you find it. Though I would wonder how much the antibiotics are having an effect on how cells activate or not activate their processes, which would point more towards environmental factors, as compared with changing the genetic makeup of the cell, which would point more towards evolution.
Environmental factors influence evolution, too, actually. More of a who-survives-to-proliferate sort of way as opposed to passing on genes to your offspring that affect their fitness.

I'll look for that article when finals are over.

Don't try to tell me who you are; tell me who you love.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change. So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding and love.
-- Jennifer Edwards
Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
One of my pet peeves: "The Bible says."

The Bible says a lot of things.

Where was it said, and by whom, and is it contradicted elsewhere, and what does that (gather in fellowship) mean? Are solitary hermit monks not Xtian b/c of that one line?
Right on. It's a peeve of mine too. Nearly as much as clinging to definitions in a dictionary while language continues to change. When you can have a word that contradicts itself like sanction, it puts it into perspective. The words are less relevant than they were before they were printed.

Quote:
I had a similar experience with my very Catholic grandmother who was always upset that my parents weren't raising us in the church. She would always try to reeducate me to save me whenever I spent time with her. But she died when I was 9 so I never really hit the point where I could have a serious religious dialogue with her.

I love that in a UU church you'll find a service about Islamic mysticism one week, a service about Advent and the idea of ritualistic waiting in the darkest months another week, and a service about Richard Dawkins and the rationalists yet another week.

My mom had a similar moment when I expressed my first interest in Wicca. Suddenly I was dragged to church.

My family is Anglican generally. That usually translates from British to U.S. to be Episcopalian.

That is another reason why I am drawn to the UU church. The spiritual length and breadth they encompass is amazing. Where I used to live near my uni, they would show the service from the previous week on the local channel. It was very nice especially since I never seemed to be able to get down there.

To answer the original inquiry I am Pagan. Spiritual, earthy and eclectic. African and European influences and whatever I learn next. Pantheist is a compatible term.

~Raven~

~Open up your mind and let me step inside.
Rest your weary head and let your heart decide. It's so easy.
When you know the rules.
It's so easy. All you have to do is fall in love.
Play the game.
Everybody play the game of love. Yeah...~
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 AM

GG identifies as Christian.
Maca identifies as undeclared.

I was raised Christian.
I believe in God. I believe in 1st Corinthians 13.

I don't believe that the modern day Christian Church has much of anything straight.

I don't identify as anything because it's too damn easy to complicate understanding.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Smile Religion

Libertarian / Humanist
&
Yes a Atheist

(dare I say the name) - still apparently a dirty word perhaps even for this forum.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM

Religion - Agnostic (brought up christian, but my parents introduced me to a lot of religions, I decided they were all partially right and partially wrong)
Politics - Conservative (but canadian, which means I am likely green party in the states )