Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Site Usage > User Guidelines & Forum Features

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Actually you only have a 12 hour window to edit your posts. He can unsubscribe from the threads so he doesn't get notifications but the conversation remains for others to read and learn from.

This information is in the FAQ and the Sticky post in the User Guidelines section of the boards.
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS (1+ years)
TT: poly bi male, married to Lotus, FB with JaneQ
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs here:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM

And 12 hours is a very generous time frame. Most other boards I've been a member of or moderated only offer three minutes.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
And 12 hours is a very generous time frame. Most other boards I've been a member of or moderated only offer three minutes.
I've modded a board for over 8 years and there were no restrictions to deleting an account or time frame for editing a post...this place is lame.

Last edited by SamuelWest; 09-25-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelWest View Post
I've modded a board for over 8 years and there were no restrictions to deleting an account or time frame for editing a post...this place is lame.
Happy trails, then. Guess you joined without reading the Guidelines. Oh well, go enjoy your hissy fit. Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on your way out. Buh-bye!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Happy trails, then. Guess you joined without reading the Guidelines. Oh well, go enjoy your hissy fit. Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on your way out. Buh-bye!
Again, Nazi assholes, you can suck me!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 PM

I've never really understood the urges to delete my posts and purge my account that many people seem to have when they get angry on forums. You can literally just leave. There is no reason to go through and delete everything you have (making some conversations impossible to follow) or delete your account. You don't have to log in. No one knows who you are.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
You just won an award for bad behavior--and the resultant ban.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

I bet this guy is an AWESOME partner and is SO MUCH FUN to be in a relationship with.

(By "awesome" and "so much fun", I mean the opposite of "awesome" and the opposite of "so much fun".)

Thank you, Nazi Moderators, for doing a shitty job!

(By "Nazi", I mean the opposite of "Nazi" and by "shitty", i mean the opposite of "shitty".)

Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Our reason for giving a 12 hour window is so that people who react to situations with angry words or haven't got their thoughts together and wish to change what they say, have time to re-do what they say. If we allowed members to remove posts threads get confusing and are useless in terms of telling a story and process people go through in their written word. People tag and re-read threads far into the future. Its important to us to keep them whole and legible. Sure, other boards don't do that, but that is the choice they have made. No two forums are alike and that is what attracts or keeps people from coming here. We can't please everyone and we aren't going to be liked by everyone. Just how it is. I would ask that if a person doesn't like it here that they at least realize it is their personal preference. There are different takes on what makes a forum suitable, interesting and worth being here for a person.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Banned

Many of the problems people seem to have with this tend to be a result of not reading the Usage and Rules part of the forum. Folks are eager to post about their particular issue and then don't get the kinds of responses they were looking for, then they want their posts deleted even after it has spawned productive discussion.

12 hours is a very generous edit window. It gives someone time to sleep/reflect on what they said and re-read their posts after getting some replies, and if they regret giving too many details, it's not too late to change their words. What some individuals fail to realize is that just because this is a forum geared toward "alternative" relationships, it is not the moderators' job to be a post-deleting service. If you want to be able to be in complete control of where, when, and how your words are available, start a blog with one of the many free services, and post here with links to your blog(s). That way, you can add and delete anything anytime, people can offer their feedback, and you retain a modicum of anonymity. It may be a little more complicated to set up something like that, but quite a few members of this forum have done it. Also, if it's too much work to arrange yourself a flexible internet environment, it's probably too much work to maintain more than one relationship. If you can read, type, and have access to the internet, it is possible to figure out how to set up a free weblog by Googling for the topics you need to do so. There is no need to be "computer savvy" in order to become self-empowered in that way.