Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM

I am in all terms and conditions a Elective Pagan.

But I have made my own religion, Haloism (not based off of the angels headware, but the game) it allows me to make my god something that makes more since then normal religions.

My wife is also Pagan and follows more of the traditional wiccan followings though.

Now truely do I think all religions are horrible, no. I don't believe 1 religion is for everyone, but I do think that we need something to believe that is bigger than us. I respect all religions as long as they respect mine.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 PM

I was loosely raised Methodist and stopped going to church around 10 years old. Beyond that, what Rarechild said pretty much sums up my present views on spirituality. I feel most connected to the divine in those Zen moments where there is nothing but the Now. I tend to view most organized religion as a centuries old control technique to keep the masses from eating each other and continue to pay their taxes... and produce subsequent generations of faith based zombies. That said, I have seen members of many faiths commit genuine acts of kindness in the name of their God, which is pretty cool. So, to sum up... Organized religion (on the whole) = bad. Spirituality and a connection to a higher power (that we will obviously never fully understand) = the natural way of things.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM

My religion is kindness. Nobody can put it in a bottle and sell it. No one owns it. It's free for the taking and giving.

And I'm very unorthodox about it.

Heterodox, too.

River's Blog
Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Banned

Al: <3 !!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetheart View Post
Someone recently said to me that he thought all poly people were pagans or athiests.
. . .
What about you?
I am a Christian. Not a Baptist, Methodist, Calvinist, Catholicist, or any other -ist. I am a follower of Christ.

Christ said that the whole of the law is that we should love God and love one another. I'm good with that.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Me:
I was raised as a Christian, but after some unusual spiritual experiences, I consider myself spiritually "open-minded". Have an affinity for philosophy, shamanism, New Age, Buddhism, Jainism, Theosophy and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM).

Her:
She was raised Nazarene, but explored other forms of Christianity in college. Feels an affinity for Wicca, Druidism, Jainism and many New Age ideas.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 PM

My mom is an agnostic atheist, and my dad is an atheist, to the dismay of his parents (his dad was a minister). They raised my brother and I to love people for the diversity of their beliefs, and encouraged us to explore faith. We went to several different churches, trying each flavor, and maybe we had a bad sample, but each one told us that our parents were going to burn in hell for not believing in whatever brand of god they were selling. I actually had a few pastors ask where my parents were, and tell me that it was my responsibility to save their souls. Which is a pretty hefty statement for a 7 year old to take in, and made me run away from faith, and I haven't been comfortable in a church since then.

These days I would define myself as a Humanist. I believe in love and in people. It probably doesn't help that I'm a biologist.

Don't try to tell me who you are; tell me who you love.

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change. So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger, but in wisdom, understanding and love.
-- Jennifer Edwards
Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsnlace View Post
but each one told us that our parents were going to burn in hell for not believing in whatever brand of god they were selling.
My grandmother really wanted me to convert back to Christianity before she died. (Her health was declining pretty fast towards the end.) She would tell me that my lack of belief would have me spending eternity in hell. I know she truly believed all of this and was concerned, but it bugged me that she believed that her god was going to torture me for all of eternity because I never found proof of God. I told her that even if such a God existed, I would be hesitant to worhsip something who would do such a thing. (Removing me from existance would be nicer than torture.)

I finally asked her if she was going to be happy in heaven no matter what? She said she would be perfectly happy. "Would you be happy in heaven if you knew I was being tortured in hell?" She thought ahd said she would be. So I asked why is she so concerned since it won't affect her happiness in the afterlife? Her answer was that i should talk to a priest instead of her.

Quote:
These days I would define myself as a Humanist. I believe in love and in people. It probably doesn't help that I'm a biologist.
Yeah, I am a scientist and work with other scientists, so it suprised me how many coworkers do not believe in God. So I found a surver that reported that 72% of scienstists do not believe in God while 21% are agnostic and 7% believe in God. Biologists believe in God around 5% while mathematicians believe in God around 16%. My guess is that biologists deal with evolution, which seems to be a hot issue for science/religion.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:19 AM

I was raised as an Orthodox Jew, after immense research at the age of 12 i became an atheist. It took many years tot ell my family, and while my father is completely accepting (my step-mom is also an atheist), my mother and sister have a hard time handling it. It seems odd to me since they aren't that religious anymore. They joke about it, but i think that's there way of showing disapproval.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quath View Post
My grandmother really wanted me to convert back to Christianity before she died. (Her health was declining pretty fast towards the end.) She would tell me that my lack of belief would have me spending eternity in hell. I know she truly believed all of this and was concerned, but it bugged me that she believed that her god was going to torture me for all of eternity because I never found proof of God. I told her that even if such a God existed, I would be hesitant to worhsip something who would do such a thing. (Removing me from existance would be nicer than torture.)
I had a similar experience with my very Catholic grandmother who was always upset that my parents weren't raising us in the church. She would always try to reeducate me to save me whenever I spent time with her. But she died when I was 9 so I never really hit the point where I could have a serious religious dialogue with her.

I definitely identify as a Humanist as well. I never would have ended up going to church were it not for a chance meeting with Kurt Vonnegut whereby he convinced me to give it a try. He gave a speech at my university and in the speech he mentioned a guy who had been in prison for 20 years and was about to be released. He wrote Vonnegut a letter asking him about the best way to reintegrate into society. Vonnegut told him to join a church. Churches function as a tribe or extended family.

By that time I was a working musician who had played many church services of various denominations (including regularly cantoring Catholic masses) and always found that these services would piss me off in one way or another. At the reception afterwards, I got to briefly chat with Vonnegut and mentioned that while I like the idea of a church community, I can't reconcile my beliefs with them. He said go to a Unitarian church. I'd probably like it.

A few years later I found myself having moved to a new part of the country with a new job and no friends so that's what I did. I love that in a UU church you'll find a service about Islamic mysticism one week, a service about Advent and the idea of ritualistic waiting in the darkest months another week, and a service about Richard Dawkins and the rationalists yet another week.

One thing I find fascinating is that the word religion has sort of become synonymous with belief in god. That's pretty reasonable considering almost all religions do believe in a god or gods. But the fascinating thing about the word "religion" is that it's root is the Latin word "ligare" which means to bind. It's the same root for the word "ligament" which is a thing that binds bones together.

So all religion really means is "that which binds together". I kind of like that.