Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
Some had expressed interest in wanting to have slightly more privacy to discuss things...particularly if there are personal aspects that might come up in such discussions.

A case could be made for either option. That's the one I would lean towards...open to members, closed to guests. Just me.
Personally, I don't see a reason for a private/experienced section. If you want more privacy to discuss ....why not IM or PM?

Sea
Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
If we follow that reasoning then how would a "New to Poly" board be less personal with the stories people bring there than an "Experienced Poly" board?
<shrug> Wasn't debating it Ceoli. Just stating my opinion.
(Which is not immutable...like most of the rest of my opinions)

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned

Questioning the reasoning behind a suggestion about how to structure the boards doesn't automatically equal a debate. I'm merely pointing out why I disagree with it which I guess would qualify as stating my opinion about it.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
Personally, I don't see a reason for a private/experienced section. If you want more privacy to discuss ....why not IM or PM?

Sea
In terms of requiring privacy to discuss identifiable details...I absolutely concur. There are other mechanisms for that.

In terms of prying eyes from a random surf past...boss, coworker, etc...depends on how others feel about it.
(I don't have a vested interest in it....I'm too paranoid to post anything too personal on any public forum.)

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
In terms of prying eyes from a random surf past...boss, coworker, etc...depends on how others feel about it.
(I don't have a vested interest in it....I'm too paranoid to post anything too personal on any public forum.)
A couple of thoughts about this:

1 - In terms of a random surf, then if someone finds content on this board, you could equally question back what they were doing reading here if the content is an issue!

2a - In terms of someone actually finding you, you can set the board so that threads here are not Google (or other search engine) searchable. (Right now threads on this board ARE Google searchable - search for your user name in Google and your poly forum posts will show up in the search results.)

2b - In other terms of finding people - if privacy is an issue, then make sure that your username is not something that people would associate with you or one that you use on other boards. Don't post names or personal information.

As far as true privacy goes - restricting the boards to registered members only is purely window dressing when it comes to privacy. I registered for this board in less than 3 mins. I signed up, clicked "I agree", entered the captcha, and confirmed my email addy. Voila - I was a member here. Now I think I've posted enough for people to realize I'm not a stalker or lurker or here for some nefarious reasons ... but ultimately unless you make it a closed, restricted access, admin approval needed process, any Joe Schmoe can create a member name and read the board.

If people want to post things that are THAT private and personal, I'd suggest that a public message board might not be the place to do it. To change the message board to allow private and personal postings for a few people would be detrimental to the community at large, IMO.

But as I said in my first post to this thread: It all depends on what kind of community you're trying to create.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhCrow View Post
I don't find a way to send a welcoming PM. I may be able to post a special notice that new members can see on the boards (and will disappear after a set time), though I'm uncertain about how that works, exactly.
I found controls for a welcoming message while researching controls for closing the site to search engines (which I've not found as yet). What would be good info for the welcoming message?

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
How about CHANGING the name from "Fireplace" to "Everyday Life". That's what's IN the "Fireplace" already. It's not like it's full of ghost stories and hot chocolate. I become frustrated when there are so many similar separate categories. We don't need a clever name at the expense of description.
I can't call it the Poop Deck?

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I can't call it the Poop Deck?
After all, it is where people shoot the shit.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I found controls for a welcoming message while researching controls for closing the site to search engines (which I've not found as yet). What would be good info for the welcoming message?
I know this is a little lazy, but I'll link you to my opinion on this other thread for that question.

Finals and all.

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
... while researching controls for closing the site to search engines ...
(a) How come?

(b) Would that make it more difficult to find us? (The site, that is.)

River's Blog

Last edited by River; 12-10-2009 at 01:32 AM.