Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhCrow View Post
Just had a thought: We could put the Life Stories and Fireplace boards together in their own section. I think they fit together.

Thoughts?
Works for me.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Just had a thought: We could put the Life Stories and Fireplace boards together in their own section. I think they fit together.

Thoughts?
I think these two have fairly seperate roles...where life stories and blogs still tends to be fairly poly-centric in it's subject matter, and the Fireplace is an off-the-Poly-Topic area.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
"The Fireplace" - I saw someone say in another thread that they had wanted to talk about something (was it a health issue or a health issue of family member or something... I can't remember...) but they felt hesitant to post it in "The Fireplace" because that area of the forum currently isn't very active and he/she wasn't sure anyone would want to hear about it.
That was me.

I would love to see a section for "experienced poly"

But I don't think it needs to be... closed to everyone.
I'm more thinking of... how do I word this?

When you click on "new to poly" you expect to read things pertienent to NEW to poly issues right?
A section labeled "experienced in poly" or soemthing along those lines could still be OPEN to everyone-but they would/could expect to see threads tht pertain less to "omg my girlfriend just told me she's poly and my heart is breaking" and more "wow this is our 10th year in poly and we're making a life change to include a baby" or the like...

Does that make any sense?

I think somehow we got stuck on the "closed area" idea. But for me-I don't think it needs to be CLOSED so much as I'd like to be able to find threads that are..........mature? in their poly topic...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?
I think that's good thought.

What about adding one in that same section for... "day to day life"?

Where we could talk about normal day to day life without getting lost? Fireplace seems more of a "story" thing and life stories is more like "this is our poly story" but what about... like this last month-I was interested in some feedback about the medical issues i've been struggling with? That's just day to day life...
Or RP's 40th bday or Mono and Rp's anniversary, those are day to day life....

They pertain to OUR poly lives-but not to poly in general and ceratinly not to "new to poly" peoples needs/issues.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
I think that's good thought.

What about adding one in that same section for... "day to day life"?

Where we could talk about normal day to day life without getting lost? Fireplace seems more of a "story" thing and life stories is more like "this is our poly story" but what about... like this last month-I was interested in some feedback about the medical issues i've been struggling with? That's just day to day life...
Or RP's 40th bday or Mono and Rp's anniversary, those are day to day life....

They pertain to OUR poly lives-but not to poly in general and ceratinly not to "new to poly" peoples needs/issues.
How about CHANGING the name from "Fireplace" to "Everyday Life". That's what's IN the "Fireplace" already. It's not like it's full of ghost stories and hot chocolate. I become frustrated when there are so many similar separate categories. We don't need a clever name at the expense of description.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
I think these two have fairly seperate roles...where life stories and blogs still tends to be fairly poly-centric in it's subject matter, and the Fireplace is an off-the-Poly-Topic area.
True. The current configuration, however, has the Fireplace grouped with polycentric boards, also.

I view the two as working together as both involve sharing what's happening in life, whether it involves relationships or not.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
True. The current configuration, however, has the Fireplace grouped with polycentric boards, also.

I view the two as working together as both involve sharing what's happening in life, whether it involves relationships or not.
I find Fireplace to be more of a general topic anything but poly place. And doesn't really follow the same logic as the blog one.

I think it was lumped with the poly boards because there probably wouldn't be as much sense lumping it by itself.

If anything, the Layout might be modified as follows:
Polyamory:
as is,
minus Fireplace.
Plus - Advanced Topics (however named)

Add Category - General Interest:
Move Fireplace here
Life stories & blogs...could go here, or remain in Poly....either way.

Dating:
No Change

My thoughts on Advanced topics is that it should probably be invisible or restricted from guests. Otherwise I think the content would be mostly self regulating...as happens with New to Poly threads. Option always exists to move threads if they're started up in a less optimal area.

-Imaginary Illusion

Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
My thoughts on Advanced topics is that it should probably be invisible or restricted from guests. Otherwise I think the content would be mostly self regulating...as happens with New to Poly threads. Option always exists to move threads if they're started up in a less optimal area.
Why would advanced topics need to be invisible if they are topics that are generally about polyamory?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
Why would advanced topics need to be invisible if they are topics that are generally about polyamory?
Some had expressed interest in wanting to have slightly more privacy to discuss things...particularly if there are personal aspects that might come up in such discussions.

A case could be made for either option. That's the one I would lean towards...open to members, closed to guests. Just me.

-Imaginary Illusion

Last edited by ImaginaryIllusion; 12-09-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some had expressed interest in wanting to have slightly more privacy to discuss things...particularly if there are personal aspects that might come up in such discussions.
If we follow that reasoning then how would a "New to Poly" board be less personal with the stories people bring there than an "Experienced Poly" board?