Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM

I do agree that it is a challenge to find people who are really ok with having cameras follow them in their most intimate relationships AND be entertaining enough to capture and maintain an audience. So for these reasons I absolutely get it. However it makes it a little difficult for someone in my situation to explain my particular circumstances since it is not like those shown on TV. I do not live with my other partner and we do not ALL have sex with each other. But we are just as committed as the live-ins.

I'm just happy that its out there and people are talking about it!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM

I have now watched all the episodes (they were on my dvr). All I can say is Holy Sex! I was going to watch the show with my husband but decided to watch it on my own first and I am kinda of glad I did. Being new to poly, I don't want him to think that it is all about sex. While the show does have some parts to it that are great, I am just afraid he is just going to zone right into everyone having sex with everyone.

So I enjoy the show all in all but I don't think it fully shows poly or at least what I feel poly is...

but as most of you have said... sex sells!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 AM

Now, now, everyone does not have sex with everyone. The females have sex with everyone. The males don't have sex with one another.

That's one thing that annoys me a bit. There is already a stereotype that all poly females are bi and none of the males are. Hopefully we'll keep getting shows about real families, and the families will keep being different and unique so that the public doesn't generalise as much.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 AM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
Now, now, everyone does not have sex with everyone. The females have sex with everyone. The males don't have sex with one another.

That's one thing that annoys me a bit. There is already a stereotype that all poly females are bi and none of the males are. Hopefully we'll keep getting shows about real families, and the families will keep being different and unique so that the public doesn't generalise as much.
It is becoming a stereotype. However, I agree with you that hopefully there are different groups that show the difference. I think that Tahl is bi though.
My wonderful husband is. We hope to find another bi poly couple
Old 08-17-2012, 03:57 AM

Default i <3 the show

I have began to love the show. i dvr it. i just watched todays episode on time though. it was a wonderful touching show
Old 08-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Ok almost everyone has sex!

And I agree that it does sterotype.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 AM

I can understand that this show may not be realistic, but this is the FIRST time that I have ever been exposed to this idea, so I am pretty stoked about the whole thing. I ended a four year lesbian relationship last year when I fell in-love with my husband, who is very open sexually, and has told me that I could have lesbian relationships outside of our marriage. So finding this show on tv was like "WOW! I never knew." So this is something that I have been thinking about over the last few weeks, and I've joined this forum-So maybe this show that doesn't depict the "real" poly lifestyle will actually generate interest!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:55 AM

Oh, it does depict real poly lifestyles. Those of the people on the show But just like with monogamy, there is a lot of variety. One show cannot get across all of the variety.
That's why I don't think I would really change the show, my wish is for more, different shows. Different people, different situations. The more variety will be shown, the less people will think in terms of "a normal/average poly relationship..." because there isn't such a thing!

The people in the show are real, their situations are real, and it's good that people get to see them. I want more shows like this, and I'm hoping that they won't all follow the same model, so that the general public understands that neither do poly relationships.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
There is already a stereotype that all poly females are bi and none of the males are.
I'm used to that being the stereotype for swingers (where it also isn't true). In my poly circle, people are often assumed to be bi until proven otherwise. Quite a few bi males, though some are straight or gay, just as some of the women are.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Default Why not Michael and Tahl?

I understand that Michael said on the show that he was "straight", but I don't understand how in the heat of the moment if all 4 are on the same bed, why Michael and Tahl don't consummate? I understand that he is "straight" and doesn't look for other men, but when you're just doing what feels good and comes naturally with someone you love, I don't understand why it doesn't just happen? I mean, the women sure get it on with each other, so they aren't homophobes. Why not the men? Is is because that's too racy for T.V.? Or is it because they don't generally share a bed as a foursome. They just do that for the TV cameras? They normally just wife swap and sleep in separate chambers? I don't understand. I mean, it doesn't even have to be sex. The guys could just find it pleasurable to rub against each other. There's nothing wrong with that. You don't have to be gay to enjoy the touch of someone you love. If all 4 share the same bed, then it would be inevitable that male would rub against male, even if by accident. They do love each other. Michael, Tahl, or anyone else who has a similar situation, please explain it to me.

Thanks,
Confused.