Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Golden Nuggets

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polypenguin View Post
...I didn't really want to look through 11 pages of posts merely to find out.

my favorite book on polyamory is "polyamory: roadmaps for the clueless and hopeful,"...
Some tips:

If you set your page views (in User CP) to 40 posts per page, reading long threads is much easier. For example, with this one you see 11 pages, but I see only three.

Also, you can use the "Search This Thread" link to search for specific words or terms (as long as they're longer than 3 letters) only within a certain thread. Searching for the word "Roadmaps" shows that the book has been mentioned in this thread three times previously (that doesn't mean it can't be discussed further... just pointing out ways to use the forum features).

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 03-14-2012, 05:44 AM

From this article I read this...
Quote:
In his book, The Lifestyle: A Look at the Erotic Rites of Swingers, journalist Terry Gould draws a direct line from Oneida [a commune in upstate New York from 1840's to 1870's] to the bohemians, through the free love of the beatnik and hippie movements and into the modern-day polyamorous community. There is a thread of idealism that runs through all of it, he writes; polyamory has historically been as much about remaking one’s own little corner of the world as it has been about sex. Gould contrasts polyamory with swinging, which he traces to the most unlikely of sources—World War II era fighter pilots and their wives. Swinging thus has a more masculine and more conservative history, whereas polyamorists have tended to be more utopian, more New Age, and yes, more feminist.
Here is the link to the book. I don't read, but it looks really interesting. Maybe someone else will read it... and tell us about it?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 AM

rubyfish - your feelings and mine are similar, i think. i have deep emotional connections to 2 or 3 people whom i really care about, whose presences matter greatly in the way i live my own life....

Ethical Slut was good, but more of a carefree how-to...

Opening Up (Tristan Taormino) was GREAT in how it outlined solo polyamory for me...my guideline to go by and customize as my own!

Anapol's "New Love W/o Limits" was great as well, although i need to go back and read it again as it's been a minute...

try "The Art and Etiquette of Polyamory" by Francoise Simpere for another viewpoint...

no ONE of these books (and these are really the only ones i've read on the subject) did the BEST job of introducing/helping/explaining for me, but if you read each one and take what helps, leave the rest....

keep what resonates with YOU individually. leave the rest. some of it may be more meaningful you at a later date, in other circumstances. but different parts of each book helped me tremendously at my own crossroads.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:44 AM

"The Polyamory Handbook", by Pete Benson

A thorough treatment of the many pitfalls and permutations of poly relationships and stratagies for meeting and overcoming the various chalanges that might arise. This book deals with a lot of conflict resolution and contracts.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM

I would love that copy if you still have it to forward .
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemorehappy View Post
I would love that copy if you still have it to forward .
Who are you talking to? Which book?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Who are you talking to? Which book?
sorry it was the Ethical Slut book offer I was referring to.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM

http://loveisinfinite.wordpress.com

Articles and personal essays on life and love in polyamory from a young, bisexual, feminist point of view!

</shameless-self-promotion>
Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 PM

not sure if this is the right place to post this (sorry am new to the board) any recommendations for books that specifically address the dynamics and challenges of the triad?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 AM

Thanks for this post and clarification, MonoVCPHG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
This is the book I most recommend so far for those that want to explain polyamory to someone.

Polyamory:
The New Love Without Limits

http://www.lovewithoutlimits.com/books.html

Here is my reasoning for not recommending the Ethical Slut or even the book Opening Up.

Both the above books are more directed at those that want to open up. They are less sensitive to a person who is trying to understand why their partner needs this.

The New Love Without Limits, although less in depth and simplistic, does a better job of explaining the multiple "loving" aspect of polyamory in my opinion.

The "Ethical Slut" reads like a how-to to fuck lots of people in a mature responsible way.

Opening Up is a book for couples who want to open up.

A lot of times we are dealing with people who do not want to open up. This requires a great deal of clarity, sensitivity, and understanding of their perspective when presenting the reasons for how and why their partner wants/needs and can even have multiple loves.

I'm not sure of a book specifically designed for those people..the ones looking at their partners with broken hearts, feeling loss, inadequate or replaced.
I don't mean to sound dramatic..but that is what we are dealing with.

Peace and Love
Mono

Tags
books, reviews