Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetheart View Post
Fidelia, that is great that you took a negative situation and turned it positive. Very cool. We're still trying to figure out how to do that...
Thank you for your kind words, Sweetheart. I hope I havenít given the impression that it's been easy, because it hasnít. Getting laid off really messed with my head, and the way it happened certainly didn't help. I still struggle sometimes with some issues around not bringing home a paycheck. Being a productive, responsible adult is extremely important to me, and before I got laid off I tied a lot of that to my ability to contribute financially. But my precious, beloved spousal unit has been pretty much one enormous blessing through all of it. Turns out, he really, genuinely like having me around!!

But seriously, Iíve gained some valuable lessons through this period, some practical (around how to make sure we don't run out of money before we run out of month, etc.), and some philosophical (mostly around the concept of enough). I know Iíll be able to make good use of the knowledge and wisdom Iíve gained no matter what the economy does, or where the future takes me. So it's all good.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:38 AM

The dive hit my investments pretty hard, which was where I had saved about 90% of my money... but it seems to be recovering and my quality of life hasn't really suffered.

Someone was telling me the other day that families have actually grown closer because of the downturn. That is, because things are tighter, families are staying in, eating in, playing simple, cheap games with each other rather than being sucked into their internets, movie theaters, electronics and various other activities that alienate us from each other.
Often he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been rent asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him...and he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 AM

Yeah, Legion, I'd read that too. I see it here in our household. Once again, the negative event (the recession) brings about a positive effect.

Fidelia, yes it's funny how we place such a great deal of weight on how much we earn financially, as if our own self-worth is determined by that somehow. Your situation sounds a lot like ours, and we are going through a lot of the same struggles. Be grateful for the solid support you've got there. We still have some major challenges ahead of us in the immediate future, and I hope we survive them.

Greenearthal, we used to live in Rochester & Ithaca, so we know what you mean. More than once we had to leave the oven on & open, just to have heat. Good luck to you, man. We'll be thinking of you and sending you warm thoughts!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:45 PM

I've been rather fortunate through the recession. I work for County Government for a outpatient drug and alcohol treatment facility. There have been HUGE cuts to funding for those types of services and it has greatly affected our staff. Last year we had around 60 employees. Currently we're down to 34. This has made it extremely tight as far as workloads, client capacity, etc.

The reason I mention being fortunate is because everyone who works for the county has been required to take mandatory furlough days consisting of 8 hours per pay period. I am in a IT position and am one of 5 people in my agency who does not have to take furlough. In that, my income has not been affected. But I see the effects everywhere else. I feel sorry for families who are struggling to get by through these tough times as my only dependent is a fox terrier.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetheart View Post
Your situation sounds a lot like ours, and we are going through a lot of the same struggles. Be grateful for the solid support you've got there. We still have some major challenges ahead of us in the immediate future, and I hope we survive them.
I hope so too. Be strong, y'all. A better day's coming. If y'all would like some ideas on how to stretch your $$$, PM me. I'd be glad to share some of what I've learned.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks, Fidelia!

You were right, a better day is coming! We just got 3 big checks in the mail today, and all of them were surprises!

R is working again, and things seem to be stabilizing for the moment.

Let's hope this trend continues...

Old 12-14-2009, 12:43 PM

The way that it seems to be hitting us the hardest is that DH's having a hard time finding a job since we moved to NYC. Partly that's the economy, partly it's that I didn't really anticipate how hard of a transition the move to the city was going to be for him (but that's something for another thread).
Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 AM

My job is based 100% on tips, and while it took a while, the last 6 months or so it has finally hit me. people have less money to tip, so i make less. luckily i'm still getting by. just barely, but getting by.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM

I read an article a couple months ago about how Wal-Mart and McDonald's were doing better because of the recession.

Apparently, fewer people were shopping at upscale stores or eating at nicer restaurants, so Wal-Mart and McDonald's were experiencing a "trickle down" effect as more people turned to them.

Then I read a different article the other day. It said McDonald's was starting to experience a downturn.

Not a good sign, man.