Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm View Post
I'd always felt a bit iffy about online dating until late last year when I had a "F*ck it, why not?" moment and joined OkC. I've since met a number of interesting people (many of whom I contacted first, and all of whom I asked out, FTR). I'm new to this side of the country and didn't know anyone outside of work, so it was very useful in getting to know people. As a result I've now found the local Poly and geek communities (which overlap heavily).

OkC is much better for meeting people I actually find interesting than any of the other sites I signed up for at the same time. The questions and matching algorithm make it easy to find people I might get along with rather than what seems to be the fairly random matching performed on other sites. It's slightly scary to see how well I get along with my 99% matches. I've only been contacted by a few trolls, and I have no qualms about ignoring them.
It's nice to hear that people are finding connection that are poly on okc! I think it's a another world for men meeting womeon on okc that are poly. I am finding that out. I get a lot of women that message me and like the idea but then just fade away without any reason or message. My wife and i went out to meet a women together and it was a fun time but she decided she was to busy for anytime of relationship. We both know it will take some time and just have to let it happen. Just had to meet anothers (male & female) that want the traid/triangle/tribe like we want to in our area (midwest).

We both have met a lot of nice couples that we have gone out on dates with together on CL.

Good luck!

Last edited by mrladyslipper; 03-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Oh lawd have mercy. LOL ok to give you a clue as to why some women do notbother responding to every email. I have a profile on adult friend finder for 13 yrs now. My profile has had 47000 views since 9-15-11. I receive at least 10 emails per day. out of the 10 maybe 1 if im lucky read my profile and fits what i am looking for in a man woman or couple. I have clearly stated in both my profile content and cupid settings 45+. yet at least 7 out of every 10 emails are from 30 somethings with an opening line of "want to fuck?" at least 2 out of every 10 are from 20 somethings wanting to learn something. Why should i waste my time to send an email to someone who obviously can not read anyway? I just created a profile on okcupid last night. same thing i clearly state 45+. since last night i have received 8 emails from single men under 38.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Well for me, poly dating seems to be easier if your a girl in my experience. For some reason if you tell someone you're poly and you're a guy they automatically think you're full of it. But if a woman says it, people seem to be more willing to consider that you're telling the truth. Anyway, we met our potential partner on craigslist of all places. Before that we tried plenty of fish and managed to find no one for months. Then my boyfriend convinced me to try craigslist and voila! Within 2 days we found a good guy who matched what we wanted.

So my advice is to not give up, keep looking, and try different avenues that you would otherwise not try. Just because, you never know what you will find.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM

Interesting... I'm trying OK Cupid at the moment, and have found some very nice folks to meet for coffee soon (we're moving about 600 miles away within the next two weeks). We'll see what develops after we meet in person.

I've also gotten lots of random emails from guys, one of whom was 1000 miles away and a 26% match. I just sat there wondering why he even bothered. I sure didn't feel like I owed him a response.

The only negative one so far was an 18 year old guy who sent a message saying "are you really 51 years old?" and I responded "yes, and you will be too someday". Like I was a fossil or something, lol.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 PM

One thing that I have found with over 13 years dealing with online dating is that since my tender soft side is usually only reveled in intimate settings I generally come off as a hardass online. That part sucks. Everyone especially men are shocked when they meet me in person because of this. It is not like I can wear a badge online that softly states that I am prone to trailing my tongue over a body. LOL
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Default Take the OKcupid plunge?

HI all

Married couple (39/40) looking to explore and start poly relationship with another couple or female.....we've been at a stand still for some time now...lets just say we are having trouble getting this concept off the ground..LOL...
Should we take the OK cupid plunge? open to any other suggestions/advice..

Thanks kim
Northern NJ
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 AM

OKC is hit or miss depending on where you live and what you're looking for. Be honest in your profile and keep your fingers crossed that you'll meet some good people along the way, as it never hurts to try. There are plenty of posts on here about that site, by the way. You may want to search for those, and see how other people feel about it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM

I officially met my girlfriend through OKC, though I already knew her by association through the queer community. But it is hit or miss. I haven't met anyone else that way.
—bisexualbaker
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Have you gone to any local poly get-togethers? That can be far less hit-or-miss than OKCupid - most of them are really intended as a social no-pressure environment, but at least everyone there is poly...

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
Have you gone to any local poly get-togethers? That can be far less hit-or-miss than OKCupid - most of them are really intended as a social no-pressure environment, but at least everyone there is poly...
Yes, thanks recently joined yahoo poly group and hope to make a meet up soon
Also put together an Ok cupid profile..what's the worst that could happen?
famous last words right?
LOL

Kim

Tags
dating, dating advice, dating dynamics, dating etiquette, dating sites, dating websites, internet dating, kissing frogs, meeting people, netiquette, okcupid, on line dating, online dating, online personals, vee is for me