Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
lionessjlf lionessjlf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 28
Default Hello Everyone

Hi there. I am new here and would like to introduce myself. I am 41, married, been with
my Hubby for 7 yrs he's 34. I have been poly for quite some time but he is very mono. We have been discussing adding a GF to our family for awhile now. He has always been mono and loyal so he was apprehensive at first to the idea of a GF. I am really excited that he has agreed to finding a LTR for him and possibly me as well. I have been wanting him to date other women and he says he's uncomfortable with trying to find someone who will fit in our lives. He wants me to seek out a potential LTR . I was wondering if anyone else has been through this type of thing. I don't want to push him. I am actually a little shocked that he is not more enthusiastic about finding us a LT GF.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 AM
ImaginaryIllusion's Avatar
ImaginaryIllusion ImaginaryIllusion is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,928
Default

Welcome to the Forum.
__________________
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” - Chinese Proverb

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2012, 03:25 AM
NovemberRain's Avatar
NovemberRain NovemberRain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 696
Default

Hi, and welcome.

You might want to do some reading around here on mono/poly. There's tons of threads about it.

I'm a little confused as to why you would want him to have a new relationship if he's mono. If he really is mono, would you not worry about him switching his affections from you to a new person? I would.

There are threads of folks discussing feeling guilty about wanting other relationships, so they try to get their partners to have others. If he's okay with you seeking others, believe him. Not good to change his behaviour to assuage your guilt (if that's what it is).

Just some thoughts; and suggestion that you read around here, you will find similarities.
__________________
Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own...
Robert A. Heinlein

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 AM
dingedheart dingedheart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,271
Default

Hi and welcome,

You been poly for quite some time.......longer then 7 yrs. Have you had other relationships during your marriage ?

Why are you shocked at his reaction ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM
lionessjlf lionessjlf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
Hi, and welcome.

You might want to do some reading around here on mono/poly. There's tons of threads about it.

I'm a little confused as to why you would want him to have a new relationship if he's mono. If he really is mono, would you not worry about him switching his affections from you to a new person? I would.

There are threads of folks discussing feeling guilty about wanting other relationships, so they try to get their partners to have others. If he's okay with you seeking others, believe him. Not good to change his behaviour to assuage your guilt (if that's what it is).

Just some thoughts; and suggestion that you read around here, you will find similarities.
Thank you, I will look around for those threads. I'm just not convinced he is really mono or just conditioned to be. I'm not seeing anyone right now so I'm not sure it's my guilt, but you have given me something to consider. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
lionessjlf lionessjlf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
Hi and welcome,

You been poly for quite some time.......longer then 7 yrs. Have you had other relationships during your marriage ?

Why are you shocked at his reaction ?
I have not had GF since we have been married, no one I have been intimate with. My X and I were poly and I had a LTR that ended badly. She moved and cut off all contact when she got married.

I'm shocked I guess because we have had discussions about it over the years and he always seemed to be all for it. He is fine with me seeing another woman I just haven't found the ONE. I think he is struggling with who he is and who he thinks he's supposed to be. I am just greatful we have good communication.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM
dingedheart dingedheart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,271
Default

so you got the proverbial 7 yr itch .

Do you have kids ...or does he?

Could his reluctance be related to the stories of your last experience?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2012, 03:01 PM
CielDuMatin's Avatar
CielDuMatin CielDuMatin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate New York, USA
Posts: 1,456
Default

I am someone who is involved in a mono/poly relationship and am in another poly/poly relationship (so yes, I'm the poly person! ).

I think too often we fall into the trap of wanting our partner to want the same things we do - whether that's to make us feel better about the things we want, or just wanting to share the happiness - either way, it causes pressure.

I believe that part of a good relationship is accepting the other for who they are, while being there for them if and when they decide to grow or change some aspect of their lives. It's not our job to push, though, it has to come from them.

This can be especially hard with a mono/poly setup, because the driving factors for each can be very, very different.

Welcome to the forum!
__________________
Please check out The Birdcage - an open, friendly Polyamory forum for all parts of New York State
http://www.thebirdcage.org/

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
lionessjlf lionessjlf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
so you got the proverbial 7 yr itch .

Do you have kids ...or does he?

Could his reluctance be related to the stories of your last experience?
7 yr tickle is more like it lol. We have 1 child together, a 4yr old boy. From our conversations I've gathered his reluctance is more about his personal "stuff" than mine. He has never even considered this lifestyle in the past as he has always assumed being mono was the "right" thing to do and I think he just needs time to process it all. I'm actually willing to let him take his time, as he is asking alot of questions and seems to be alot more interested. Maybe I should steer him here
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-12-2012, 04:58 PM
lionessjlf lionessjlf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
I am someone who is involved in a mono/poly relationship and am in another poly/poly relationship (so yes, I'm the poly person! ).

I think too often we fall into the trap of wanting our partner to want the same things we do - whether that's to make us feel better about the things we want, or just wanting to share the happiness - either way, it causes pressure.

I believe that part of a good relationship is accepting the other for who they are, while being there for them if and when they decide to grow or change some aspect of their lives. It's not our job to push, though, it has to come from them.

This can be especially hard with a mono/poly setup, because the driving factors for each can be very, very different.

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, I have been doing alot of soul searching over those issues, I am just giving him time to process and answering any questions he might have.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 PM.