Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Post Love is 1 man, 3 women and a bed built for 5

November 28, 2009
"Love is 1 man, 3 women and a bed built for 5"
Fabulous mag/ News of the World (England)

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
November 28, 2009
"Love is 1 man, 3 women and a bed built for 5"
Fabulous mag/ News of the World (England)
"I know it seems strange to most people, but I don't believe monogamous relationships are natural"
I think Poly would do better to present itself on it's own merits not in comparison to the mainstream norm of monogamy, as this writer does when they quoted this woman. I think we would all do better to keep to the good points of polyamory rather than the negative parts of monogamy. It is counterproductive I think to point out flaws and more productive to point out positives.

"Having sex with so many people suits us all perfectly. I can't imagine life any other way."
Ya, great, this makes polyamory look good. *sigh* this is why I struggle with calling myself polyamourous when this is what some people in the media chose to portray... Heeeellllllo, it's not just about the sex (that bed sounds awesome though.... alll snuggly and cozy tee hee.)
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM

The path to acceptance is hindered often by a quest to convert.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 PM

Exactly.

This is the same sort of thing that plagues the greater Pagan community and Burner culture and so on. I think it's a matter of the folks being quoted not considering that the reporter is likely to home in on the most salacious comments and highlight those. Not everybody who is poly (or Pagan or a Burner or whatever) should be granting interviews for exactly this reason--yet far too many think they are fully capable of giving good interviews.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhCrow View Post
Exactly.

This is the same sort of thing that plagues the greater Pagan community and Burner culture and so on. I think it's a matter of the folks being quoted not considering that the reporter is likely to home in on the most salacious comments and highlight those. Not everybody who is poly (or Pagan or a Burner or whatever) should be granting interviews for exactly this reason--yet far too many think they are fully capable of giving good interviews.
It's always been my opinion that it's impossibe to give a good interview unless you have a good intervier. And THOSE are hard to come by.

Tags
longterm, media, news, quint