Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM

I've been waiting for 3 to come out on Netflix for a while. Then it was a question of having a night alone to sit and watch it.

Basic storyline...a longtime Berlin couple (yes, this is a subtitled film for those who care about that sort of thing) find that the spark has gone out of their relationship. It's not quite at hostage situation levels, but they're definitely in a rut. She stumbles across someone she's interested in. And so does he...and interestingly enough, it's the same man.

I won't go too much farther into the plot, but I will say I'm a big fan of people seizing the appropriate opportunities to grow and change and evolve. This film is full of them.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 AM

I think someone already said it, but Chasing Amy! The movie is all about exploring sexuality and they get to a point where a poly relationship was pretty much brought to the table and then they backed out of it. So disappointing! I really thought it would go that route, but it was still an okay movie.

Also even though it's a video game not a movie I think Rinoa, Squall and Seifer from Final Fantasy VIII would have made a great triad!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 AM

I think Pushing Daisies would have been great with a triad between the three main characters. Ned, and the two women. Oh well.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 AM

Perhaps someone has said this already, but...

(and, not a movie, but oh well!)

I just finished watching season 4 of True Blood. Sookie really needs to try poly then she could have Bill AND Eric.

Me? I'd want Eric and Tara LOL

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.--EAP
Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkDragon View Post
Perhaps someone has said this already, but...

(and, not a movie, but oh well!)

I just finished watching season 4 of True Blood. Sookie really needs to try poly then she could have Bill AND Eric.

Me? I'd want Eric and Tara LOL
I agree completely but I'd prefer Eric and Sam. Tara is cute but not my type.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeraReed View Post
I can't believe no one mentioned Casablanca
When I joined this forum it came to my mind as you may have surmised from my username.

I'm pretty new to the dynamics of poly life but it seems to me Casablanca does already have a poly ending. Ilsa loves both Victor and Rick. Both men love her in return. Both men respect (and maybe even admire) each other and know of and respect each other's love for Ilsa. They don't get in a stupid fistfight pissing competition over her.

Quote:
Rick: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Ilsa: But what about us?
Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you.
Rick: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that.
[Ilsa lowers her head and begins to cry]
Rick: Now, now...
[Rick gently places his hand under her chin and raises it so their eyes meet]
Rick: Here's looking at you kid.
Just because they are not all living together under one roof doesn't make it an un-poly ending. There was a war on! People made sacrifices.

And it does have the most perfectly optimistic final line.

Quote:
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Last edited by Casablanca; 06-14-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca View Post
I'm pretty new to the dynamics of poly life but it seems to me Casablanca does already have a poly ending. Ilsa loves both Victor and Rick. Both men love her in return. Both men respect (and maybe even admire) each other and know of and respect each other's love for Ilsa. They don't get in a stupid fistfight pissing competition over her.
. . .
And it does have the most perfectly optimistic final line.
And what about Louis? Rick could be the hinge in a V with Louis and Ilsa; Ilsa the hinge of a V with Rick and Victor . . . Would that be an N?

Or, given the warmth of Victor's words to Rick at the end, maybe an open triad with Rick, Ilsa, and Victor, with Rick having an additional connection with Louis . . .

Let's use our imaginations here!

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM

This was made into a movie....Phantom of the Opera. While I love the way the ending was done in a lot of ways, a poly ending would have been really cool too. XD I think in her own way Christine really did love both of them.

Rinoa, Squall, and Seifer, eh? Interesting. XD If Aeris lived in FF7 Cloud so should have had both of them.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 PM

So, the three of us headed off to see "Ted" Saturday night and we're watching a preview for a film called "Savages" where the lead actress is introducing the two male leads in a voiceover. Then she says, "And, yeah, I'm with both of them."

Kids these days, I tell ya.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzels View Post
So, the three of us headed off to see "Ted" Saturday night and we're watching a preview for a film called "Savages" where the lead actress is introducing the two male leads in a voiceover. Then she says, "And, yeah, I'm with both of them."

Kids these days, I tell ya.
We just got home from seeing Ted and yeah... Saw the same preview and the "I'm with both of them" thing made me smile. I'd seen a preview for the movie before but it hadn't made that part clear. Looking forward to seeing what it's like!

Tags
fantasies, movies