Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 04:16 PM

My husband and I have spent up to a year living in different places. I've never tried to skype during a meal thing however morning coffee over skype works well. My kids are also a lot younger and had a hard time sitting still when daddy was on the computer so we found that the computer room was a better place for family skyping. That way they could show off and not have to sit still and eat.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
I am in a position where my marriage may need to become an LDR for some length of time (3-5 years). Kids' ages at home age range from 17 to 12.

I am a big believer in family/communal meals. If it does come to pass, I'm considering setting it up to make it as easy as I am practically able, to skype from the dining area. The thought is to coordinate meals so that we'd be eating and skyping at the same time.

Does anybody have experience skyping during a meal? Is it practical, or does the eating get too distracting? Is it too artificial?
I don't know about the kids since neither of us have them, but me and rory regularly eat when we skype. Usually it's just because our skype sessions are so long that we get hungry during them so we have to eat if we want to continue talking. But I do think it's nice to do that. It makes me feel like we're sharing our everyday life more. So I think your idea sounds good. It may feel a bit silly in the beginning but before you know it starts to feel natural.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Lin and I communicated via skype for years. It becomes really normal and we moved the camera from the living room to the study to the kitchen and back again. We did everything 'together' that way. The most important thing to have is a camera that has a high resolution/dpi to guarantee that you have a good picture on each end. IT was the best solution we could think of.

My Blog
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 PM

I never skyped during meals because the time difference was such that we never had meals at the same time. We wouldn't interrupt the call to eat though, but it wasn't the same as any communal meals I've had where there is a whole ritual about it, it was more "hey I'm hungry and I don't want the call to end, so let's see if I can grab something fast and easy".

I have had dates though, and it was very nice. We didn't eat during them but if you could coordinate to eat the same things and everything it would probably be a sharing experience you would enjoy. I would recommend trying it.
Plus at worst, you will see that it's not working for you and stop doing it. Not much to lose by trying.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 PM

We've used Skype in the past and i'd like to do it more. One time we cooked dinner at the same time - We talked about finding a recipe to make together like we would if we were able to be together. Then, eat and drink wine and talk.

At first, i thought it would make me miss his touch more and that I'd feel more longing but I found that seeing his handsome face and smile warms my heart.

We've talked about playing games online but that just isn't our thing. I am, however, looking for more things that we can do together while we're apart.

Tags
jealousy, ldr, long distance, long distance love, long distant love, love, non-responsive, triad