Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Site Usage > User Guidelines & Forum Features

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Spam Reports

Hey mods!

I send spam or possible spam reports fairly often. I consider it a small contribution to the forum. However, I do wonder, is this really useful to the mods? If it's just another thing to deal with and not helpful, then I will stop.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 PM

I also report spam fairly frequently - for today's flood I just did one and reported that there were multiples by the same poster. On the mod end I'm not sure how annoying it is to receive multiple reports for the same post/poster - should I just assume that if the span thread has at least one "view" that someone else reported it already?

JaneQ
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS
TT: poly bi male, married to Lotus, FB with JaneQ
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs on this site:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe
Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM

In a conversation I was having privately with Redpepper once, she did mention that she was grateful for all my spam reporting, and she said it was a valuable contribution -- so I know it does get noticed and appreciated by the Mods!

I usually think that if a spam post has a bunch of views and it is still there, that lots of people looked but probably didn't report it or don't know how. I don't think we should stop, LOL!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 05-25-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 PM

Absolutely keep reporting spam. We don't have time to comb through all the threads most of the time. We mostly just clean up whatever the filter gets, and the filter catches a lot.

However user reports are excellent to get the posts that the filters miss...particularly sig line spam links and short non-sequiter posts that might contain a tracking image or something. Another dead giveaway is short unrelated messages from a profile with an ICQ icon...no one uses ICQ anymore do they?

So yeah, please keep reporting (although if you report a given spammer once, that's usually all that's needed, we nuke all their posts at once) and many thanks to the members of the forum who have been contributing to the efforts to keep this board clean and free of ads.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 AM

So how does one report spam? I just searched and couldn't easily figure out how...
[could be I'm missing something big & obvious, it's late and my brain & eyes are tired]

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
So how does one report spam? I just searched and couldn't easily figure out how...
[could be I'm missing something big & obvious, it's late and my brain & eyes are tired]
To the upper right of each post (in the blue header area), there is the post number and a red trimmed triangle. You click that triangle and a spam report pops up. You just type in your reason for reporting, hit "send report," and your job is done!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
To the upper right of each post (in the blue header area), there is the post number and a red trimmed triangle. You click that triangle and a spam report pops up. You just type in your reason for reporting, hit "send report," and your job is done!
Ah, I knew it had to be easy! thanks

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 05-26-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
Ah, I knew it had to be easy! thanks
No problem! I hadn't even attempted to figure it out until the other day when I happened to get on here when there was a flood of junk being posted every 2 seconds!

Tags
spam, spam report