Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM

I don't know anyone whose kept their nipple piercings on for more than a few years. They either get infected, close or the wearer gets bored of them.

From what I understand, they are among the most likely type of piercing to develop infections, but there are probably ways to reduce the risk. Some women I've met say they are fine, that they just didn't want to have them forever. Depends again on the individual, I guess.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 AM

Cool

My husband and I have both had our nipples pierced since early 2005.
He has had beginning infections a few times over the years, I haven't.
The healing time feels like forever because of where it is at.- I preferred to wear a bra almost 24/7 during the healing time as it reduced the chances of the area being jarred.
As for whether to go with bars or rings, it is a personal preference thing. The Wookie prefers bars and I am good with either.

I don't know if that helps you or not but the best of luck, whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 AM

I heard the most likely to develop infections was navel piercings (I heard the figure, and the fact that all the people I know with that kind of piercing had them get infected seemed to support it).
But I can see how this would get infected as well. To heal well, they need to air out and not get in contact with stuff. Breasts being under clothes makes them air out less, and rub against closing more. On top of that they're more likely to get bumped.

The first time I had my ears pierced, they got infected because I thought I needed to move the piercing as often as I could, instead of doing it twice a day and leaving it be the rest of the time. I didn't make that mistake when I got pierced again, and I got no complications. I think I would try to get my nipples pierced when I know I won't have to go out much, so that I can be topless at home more, doing activities that allow me to be sedentary.

When I do go out I can imagine I will want to pad it a bit though, but I'm not sure how bad it is. Infections get the body hotter, and I hear getting it hotter to begin with makes it worse. Not to mention the sweat having nowhere to go if it can't evaporate easily. And since you can't bathe when you've just got a piercing, only shower, I assume prolonged humidity there isn't a good thing.

I'm mostly thinking out loud here. I'm not thinking of having it done right away, in a few months, maybe a year or so, but I like planning and preparing before making big decisions like that.

The fact that it can be removed is actually why I'm drawn to piercings more than tattoos. I like the ephemeral nature of them. I think I would probably get bored with a tattoo that's always the same, while piercings can be changed and removed easily. I might still get a tattoo at some point, because I change my mind a lot, but so far the fact I change my mind a lot has caused me not to get one :P
Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM

I totally understand the ambivalence around getting a new piercing!
Tonberry..... You raised a great point about healing and fresh air. I had forgotten about that little detail. I am at home most of the time so had forgotten about running around topless....good point!
What I do remember is that, for me, the nipple piercing was particularly painful...and I am not a very sensitive person.
I have my navel pierced to and remember how many times I fought infection before it healed. I was bad though and used neosporin when that occurred. Doing that is supposed to be a big no-no but I did it anyway and it worked for me.
Honestly, the nose piercing seems to the most challenging one for me. Getting that sucker to heal up without infection has been the longest process so far. I am on my second time around with having that one.
The temptation to rotate piercings is to be resisted! I am an old fogey (42) and grew up in the days when rotating new piercings was advocated. Now educators discourage doing it, and I can testify that they are giving good advice as scar tissue develops more when one plays around with the jewelry during healing.
Also, Changing out the jewelry before a piercing is 100% healed is generally a big mistake...equals more chance of infections and development of more scar tissue.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Yes, my eyebrow one is still healing (I got it less than two weeks ago), and I'm definitely not changing it for a while! They told me I can change the balls after a month, but the bar itself will have to wait for two months.

The piercer told me to simply push a bit on one side when I clean the other side, which makes it move a bit, but that allows to clean better. He gave me a bar that's a bit longer than needed, which was good for the swelling and also meant that when it bled (on the second day) I could push on one side and clean the other side's wound without the ball getting in the way.

I didn't get any infection at all so far, I'm using the product they gave me on a Q-tip as I get up and before going to bed. Then they said to use saline instead, from next week until forever although it only needs daily cleaning for another month. After that I assume it's if it gets dirty or something.

I'm afraid I'll be in a lot of pain, but what reassures me is that my memories of getting my ears pierced were horrible, but when I got my eyebrow done it didn't hurt for more than a second. I did nearly faint, but it's because I ended up skipping lunch, which was stupid. I'm also prone to vasovagal episodes so it wasn't anything I wasn't used to. I've had that happen from feeling overheated, from being on a plane or even from getting my period. So while I understand it's scary for other people to witness, it's really no big deal for me anymore.

I'll probably tell the piercer about my background, so they know what to expect and can act accordingly. My only fear with walking topless at home after the fact is that they will jiggle too much and bump into things.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM

I wonder if putting nursing pads in your bra would help? You'd get some cushion/padding, and they're designed to absorb moisture. If you get a set of the reusable, washable cotton ones they breathe pretty well (the disposable ones with the adhesive do not) and it might also cut down on chaffing because the pad kind of conforms to your breast and doesn't always move every time your bra shifts.

I don't have any experience with nipple piercings (the very thought makes me cringe!) but I have LOTS of experience with having to keep that area as dry and happy as possible to avoid cracked nipples and infections while nursing my two kids!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM

I have 12 piercings, 4 tats, and a brand.

The piercings are: 3 in each ear, right eyebrow, labret, both nipples, navel, and below the belt.

As for care of the nipple piercings: salt water is your friend as is antimicrobial soap. You also /really/ want to wear a tight tee, tank, or sports bra to sleep in for about three weeks. It literally takes MONTHS for them to heal. Thankfully, at the time I got them I was single and celibate so I didn't have to worry about anyone wanting to play with them because that is a really, really bad idea.

The only infection problem I've ever had was the first time I had my navel pierced. It was done with a CBR. I'm pretty sure that's what caused the issues. This time (Aug 2011) I had it done with a curved barbell. It took a while to heal, but no infection.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures without first uploading them to a website I will post pics of two of my tats. One needs to be re-done. It's on the inside of my wrist, in a delicate tissue area and the stupid ink mostly fell out : ( The two I'll show off are left ball of upper arm and tear-drop muscle on right leg. There's one I got as a present to Bear; only he, my gynecologist, and our lovers will see it! LOL

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.--EAP
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM

I had one of my favourite, calming mantras tattooed on my rib cage, on my left side, close to my heart. Surprisingly, this didn't hurt as much as I thought it might; just a couple of brief moments of hold-your-breath discomfort.

"This too shall pass." Like NYCindie pointed out to me once, nothing says "Nothing's Permanent" like a tattoo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120419-00032.jpg (83.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkDragon View Post
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures without first uploading them to a website I will post pics of two of my tats.
There are two ways to do that. When you post a message, scroll down the page and select "Manage Attachments." A pop-up box comes up where you can choose "Upload File from your Computer" and find your images to upload. They show up in posts as attachments when you do it this way.

I believe you can also create an album in your profile here, let it be public and not private, upload pics there, and then link to them with the "Insert Image" button just above the editing window. Doing it that way embeds the pic in your post rather than as an attachment.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkDragon View Post
I have 12 piercings, 4 tats, and a brand.
What's a brand?

Tags
piercings, poly tattoo, poly tattoos, tattoos