Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Deviant's Avatar
Deviant Deviant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5
Default Queer Feminist Seeking Friends~

Hello,
I am a 42 year old happily married mother of four. I am a queer feminist, a photographer, an activist and an advocate. I am spiritual, but not religious. I am an ex-smoker and a social drinker. I am interested in making friends who are poly and are open to talking about what this lifestyle means to them and to share experiences. Currently it is just my husband and I. For now, I'm focusing on just making some friends.
Please feel free to message me if you want to chat.
Peace~

Last edited by Deviant; 04-26-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 PM
kdt26417's Avatar
kdt26417 kdt26417 is offline
Official Greeter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Olympia, Washington
Posts: 4,414
Default

Hi Deviant,
Welcome to our forum.

There's sure no shortage of posting and threads here, so feel free to join (or start, if you desire) a conversation, and you will probably soon find yourself in a dialog with various different folks, including many who may turn out to be the online friends you're looking for.

I just want to welcome you and say that I'm glad you could be here.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.
__________________
Love means never having to say, "Put down that meat cleaver!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 PM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 7,109
Default

Hi and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
...we have talked quite a bit about bringing someone into our relationship if we found the right person.
I recommend doing a search for topics you are interested in (the words must be longer than 3 letters for search function to work), and also use the Tag Search for keywords such as "new to polyamory," "unicorn," "triad," etc. And feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

I also think you might benefit from reading the following threads which cover the concept of "bringing someone into a relationship" that you might find informative:

Added to, Joining In

Inclusion in poly

In the process of forming a triad.....so much love and fear. so many questions

Relationship structures, triads, unicorns and all that

__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Vivien Vivien is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Default

Hi, and welcome! Queer mom here, 38. Our family is me, my co-mom, my other partner, a young child, and co-mom's girlfriend (who doesn't live with us yet). I'd be happy to chat if you want to PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Deviant's Avatar
Deviant Deviant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
Hi Deviant,
Welcome to our forum.

There's sure no shortage of posting and threads here, so feel free to join (or start, if you desire) a conversation, and you will probably soon find yourself in a dialog with various different folks, including many who may turn out to be the online friends you're looking for.

I just want to welcome you and say that I'm glad you could be here.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Thank you for the welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Deviant's Avatar
Deviant Deviant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Hi and welcome!



I recommend doing a search for topics you are interested in (the words must be longer than 3 letters for search function to work), and also use the Tag Search for keywords such as "new to polyamory," "unicorn," "triad," etc. And feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

I also think you might benefit from reading the following threads which cover the concept of "bringing someone into a relationship" that you might find informative:

Added to, Joining In

Inclusion in poly

In the process of forming a triad.....so much love and fear. so many questions

Relationship structures, triads, unicorns and all that

Thank you for all the great suggestions. BTW, what exactly is a "unicorn"? I mean in this context?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Deviant's Avatar
Deviant Deviant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5
Default

Thank you all for the welcome
__________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr.Suess
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Deviant's Avatar
Deviant Deviant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Hi and welcome!



I recommend doing a search for topics you are interested in (the words must be longer than 3 letters for search function to work), and also use the Tag Search for keywords such as "new to polyamory," "unicorn," "triad," etc. And feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

I also think you might benefit from reading the following threads which cover the concept of "bringing someone into a relationship" that you might find informative:


[/B]
So, I have been reading through the threads you linked me to, among others. I figured out what a "unicorn" is. I must say, after reading through those threads I feel very intimidated to be here. It doesn't seem like a newbie friendly place. I think I may just have to stick to lurking and learn what I can that way.
__________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr.Suess
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM
km34 km34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
So, I have been reading through the threads you linked me to, among others. I figured out what a "unicorn" is. I must say, after reading through those threads I feel very intimidated to be here. It doesn't seem like a newbie friendly place. I think I may just have to stick to lurking and learn what I can that way.
It makes me sad that you feel that way!

Most people here try to be friendly, but you are right - there are certain phrases that trigger very negative responses from a lot of people. Usually we're all really understanding, though, and understand that sometimes it's hard to express yourself clearly to people who don't know you from Adam. In a way that's good because you get unbiased advice/opinions, but it's also limiting since we can't really help if you forget to mention something small or seemingly unrelated that in reality impacts the situation you want to discuss.

My only advice is to just jump in. We're all anonymous strangers. Best case scenario you learn some awesome stuff and share your unique perspective. Worst case scenario you decide we're all horrible and leave.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 AM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 7,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
I must say, after reading through those threads I feel very intimidated to be here. It doesn't seem like a newbie friendly place. I think I may just have to stick to lurking and learn what I can that way.
We're very newbie-friendly. I think some of us even have cookies to share. Sorry if those links scared you!

It was just a suggestion to give you an idea of the issues, so that you can figure out a direction for yourselves. Poly is much harder than people think, and it's best to move ahead with eyes open to see the pitfalls in the beginning rather than after people get hurt.

But if you want to read about poly successes, we do share our happy moments in this thread: Poly Vignettes: Sharing Success & Happiness

Also check out the Life Stories and Blogs section for personal perspectives. The blogs are protected here, no debates allowed, so they are more like journals.
__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 AM.