Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
Could I possibly venture a modification to this that may achieve the same result, but not dismiss monogamy as a viable relationship model? To my mind, we don't need to have poly as a preferred relationship model, but we do need it to have parity with monogamy. I get a bit leery when we talk about poly using words like "superior" or "more evolved", which I have seen in other places, and struggle with that, because I really do respect those that have made monogamy work for them, and don't want to denigrate them or their relationships.
Sure. I wasn't trying to say that one way is better than the other. I didn't say poly is superior or more evolved. I am just saying without a massive shift in people's views on relationship models (so that monogamously isn't the only way to live without drawing attention and/or criticism), I don't see a shift in the views of love happening.

I'm guessing the word preferred gave you the negative vibe? Preferred, to me, doesn't mean superior. Some people prefer chocolate milkshakes whereas I'll take a strawberry one any day. Doesn't make me superior to them, I just prefer a different flavor. I definitely see where you're coming from, though.

Tags
definition, description, love and sex, relationship, theory