Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 AM

AC,

Sorry, I should have fleshed that out a bit more! I really did not mean to be so foreboding.

I just meant the NRE-ness is based on newness, steeped in happy brain chemicals, with a side of unreality. It goes away on its own sooner or later.

However, insecurity does not go away on its own usually. (I do believe one can grow out of insecurities - I know I did.) If his ideas about your awesomeness are connected to a corresponding lack of his own worth, well that's not going away when the happy chemical brainbath and newness erode. Perhpas, his placing you on a pedestal may be more about "You are so far above me, I worship you' dynamic than the stereotypical NRE.

I have no way of knowing if this is accurate - just something that struck me. Hence the 'something to think about'. I'm certainly not saying run screaming away from C. (50 year old geek with G spot skills? Why yes, please!) Just that you may be on that pedestal and adored for longer than you think. There are way worse things of course!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Trust that he knows what is best for him. Trust that he is taking responsibility for his own choice to be with you, accept the terms of your arrangement, and love you wholeheartedly.
Most of the time I manage this. I think, "He's really crazy for being willing to get involved with me in this limited, restrained way," but I know he is making his own decisions based on full disclosure of what he can and can't expect from this. Sometimes though I hear this nagging voice in the back of my head that says he doesn't believe he truly deserves the relationship he really wants. He says I'm helping him build the skills to have a successful partnership someday, and I hope he's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
If his ideas about your awesomeness are connected to a corresponding lack of his own worth, well that's not going away when the happy chemical brainbath and newness erode.
Oh I see. There might be an element of this, but maybe not. I don't hear him say things often about me being better than he is, although he has said he finds it amazing that I would choose to be with him when I could (he believes!) be with anyone I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
(50 year old geek with G spot skills? Why yes, please!)
Right? He's got some serious talent! And brains, and he made his fortune early so he's retired and spends all his time involved in fascinating hobbies and travel, he's a fit outdoorsman, a gentleman, and great at communication... seems like quite a catch to me, but inside he still believes he's the socially awkward nerd from his teenage years, so he says when he meets a woman who interests him he gets shy and clams up (except with me, apparently the only woman he ever simultaneously adored and felt at ease with).

Ok, I'll just sit tight and bask in the attention, and when we get past this stage I'll enjoy the steadiness of ORE.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 AM

I actually thought of you, AC, while I was out tonight. It occurred to me that what you perceive as him putting you on a pedestal is simply appreciation for who you are and what you give him. You may not be used to his openness and frankness in being able to express his feelings about you. And so you think he gets carried away.

The other thing is, what you said reminded me of some feedback I've often gotten over the years. Men have always told me, "You're not like anyone I've ever known," "You're so different," etc. Before I was married, they often wondered why no one had "snatched me up," and told me I was so much more of this, that, and every other thing than anyone else they'd ever been in relationship with.

Now, I don't think I'm all that. Sure, I'm cool, but the thing I think that throws 'em is that I've always strived to be as honest and straightforward as I could, to the best of my ability at any given time (I wasn't so great at it in my 20s, but I tried). I never was a game player.

And I think that there are so many women out there who were taught to play games, strategize, and manipulate, that guys don't know what to do with those of us who won't. And we don't quite get why we're so different because this is the only way we can be ourselves.

So, you may not be on a pedestal, but you are like a breath of fresh air. And he appreciates that, so don't worry. It simply sounds like his eyes are open, he revels in who you are, and probably says these things more than you are used to. Relax, and soak it up.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I think that there are so many women out there who were taught to play games, strategize, and manipulate, that guys don't know what to do with those of us who won't. And we don't quite get why we're so different because this is the only way we can be ourselves.
Oh, we must be cut from the same fabric! I have been accused of being even too honest at times. C says he appreciates that I don't punish him for being honest. I have in fact gotten upset with him for times he has glossed over his true thoughts and given me what he thought was a friendlier answer. He also learned very early on not to try to "read between the lines" to try to discern what I'm thinking, because with me, everything is all spelled out. If I didn't come out and say it, it's not what I'm thinking.

I am happy to soak up those compliments -about our connection, about my character, even about the way I dance. But when he thinks my medium length plain light brown eyelashes are "a microcosm of beauty" then I think he's just punch drunk on love. I can enjoy it most of the time, but I'm ready to be a flawed human in his eyes. I should just be patient?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Isn't it ironic:

there's him, thinking "she is such an incredible magical creature, I don't get what she sees in me, she deserves somebody better than I am"

and there's you, thinking "he is a wonderful person, he deserves something better than what I can offer, a monogamous relationship with somebody who will be able to only be with him, I am not good enough for him to adore/stay with since I can't provide that".

What if you both just tried to let the person whose responsibility it is to make sure they are not selling themselves short, i.e. themself, worry about their own needs, and trust the other person to take care of themself? That way you can both truly enjoy what you have as long as it feels good, without worrying about the future time when it may no longer feel satisfying.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM

When you say C is mono do you mean him not seeing other while in a primary relationship and or him requiring the same from primary partner?

Is your husband aware that C is mono in terms of how he(C) would structure a primary relationship.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherConfused View Post
But when he thinks my medium length plain light brown eyelashes are "a microcosm of beauty" then I think he's just punch drunk on love. I can enjoy it most of the time, but I'm ready to be a flawed human in his eyes. I should just be patient?
Or maybe you should look in the mirror and accept just how beautiful your lashes really are.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-22-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory View Post
What if you both just tried to let the person whose responsibility it is to make sure they are not selling themselves short, i.e. themself, worry about their own needs, and trust the other person to take care of themself? That way you can both truly enjoy what you have as long as it feels good, without worrying about the future time when it may no longer feel satisfying.
Yes, thank you. We do. It doesn't stop us from having the occasional conversation about, "Are you sure I'm good for your life?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
When you say C is mono do you mean him not seeing other while in a primary relationship and or him requiring the same from primary partner?

Is your husband aware that C is mono in terms of how he(C) would structure a primary relationship.
C doesn't think he'd be able to share his attention between more than one partner in his life at a time so he will likely not date me when he finds someone who can participate more fully in his life. He does say he still loves all his ex girlfriends though, so I don't feel like he'll need to push away from me when that happens. I don't know if he would "require" the same from a mono partner... he doesn't seem to have jealousy issues when it comes to sharing me. I don't know if my husband knows or cares what C's future relationships would look like, but I've made it clear to both of them that if my marriage fell apart for any reason, I would not pursue a monogamous relationship with C (or anyone else).

Quote:
Or maybe you should look in the mirror and accept just how beautiful your lashes really are.
Oh, I know. We are all beautiful, aren't we? Someone said something about it being the polishing that makes a stone beautiful, and anyone who gets "polished" with enough love is going to be beautiful. At the same time, lashes are lashes. Hardly a reason to feel emotion for someone!

L gave me a nice compliment recently. I've been bedridden a lot with health problems this past year and was bemoaning the loss of my figure and the difficulty I'm having in getting it back, since I keep having relapses, getting stuck in bed and gaining weight again. He said, "You're a beautiful woman who needs to lose some weight. You could be an ugly woman with a fit body and there'd be nothing you could do to fix that." Ha ha -I felt so much better!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:39 PM

The reason I asked was because it was put to me that that type of attitude would be insulting to the husband. Having no frame of reference from personal experience because the guy that dated my wife was married. However his wife did not date other people. Never had any conversations with her so I don't know if that was her choice or his. But now I will have to inquire just out of curiosity.

As for sharing ... I do know entering as a secondary has a completely different mindset attached ...right or wrong it different.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
The reason I asked was because it was put to me that that type of attitude would be insulting to the husband.
Which attitude? C being mono?

Tags
expectations, nre