Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone for responding. There is no treatment for the high risk HPV strains except for supporting the immune system to handle the virus. So I'm trying to do things that support health overall. I have abnormal cells on my cervix - the abnormalities are caused by the virus. Those abnormalities are not cancerous and I am being monitored to catch it if they do become cancerous. There are treatments for cervical cancer.

I also read that earlier thread that NYCindie found. Thanks Cindie! You are the Goddess of Search! Lots of useful stuff in that thread.

I am inclined to tell people about my exposure to high risk HPV. Not everyone I know or interact with has good health care, or may have good health care in the future. I want people to know so they can judge their risk level. And I tend to be more on the open disclosure side of things generally. Generally, the more open I've been, the better my life has been. So I will go the disclosure route for now and see how that goes. I'm a little worried that no one will have sex with me again (I know I'm exagerating but still, it's a worry).

I'm also going to continue to find information. I'm also going to tell my doctor she has to do better on education herself and her patients about this disease. After all, if stats hold true, most of her patients have it. And I'm thinking about some sort of support group somewhere. I heard on Polyamory weekly about a HSV group that had conventions, parties, and education events as well as support. I thought this was awesome. Going to look into something like that.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
There is no treatment for the high risk HPV strains except for supporting the immune system to handle the virus. So I'm trying to do things that support health overall.
I take a great supplement that I am so happy I found at my health food store. It is made specifically to support the immune system. It's called SuperLysine+ by Quantum Health. It's got Lysine, Vit. C, echinacea, licorice, propolis, and odorless garlic. It's supposedly especially good for people with herpes, but I noticed that since I have taken it, I haven't even gotten a cold! You're supposed to take 3 a day and I only take 2 and still feel the benefit.

Quote:
I also read that earlier thread that NYCindie found. Thanks Cindie! You are the Goddess of Search!
My pleasure! Heh, I should put "Goddess of Search" on my résumé.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 04-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I am inclined to tell people about my exposure to high risk HPV. Not everyone I know or interact with has good health care, or may have good health care in the future. I want people to know so they can judge their risk level. And I tend to be more on the open disclosure side of things generally. Generally, the more open I've been, the better my life has been. So I will go the disclosure route for now and see how that goes. I'm a little worried that no one will have sex with me again (I know I'm exagerating but still, it's a worry).

I'm also going to continue to find information. I'm also going to tell my doctor she has to do better on education herself and her patients about this disease. After all, if stats hold true, most of her patients have it. And I'm thinking about some sort of support group somewhere. I heard on Polyamory weekly about a HSV group that had conventions, parties, and education events as well as support. I thought this was awesome. Going to look into something like that.
You can always network with others who also have HPV. If most people have it, you should be having more sex, not less!

j/k
Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyunicorn View Post
You can always network with others who also have HPV. If most people have it, you should be having more sex, not less!

j/k
I love this sentiment!!

The (or rather - another) problem with HPV is that there is no test for men on the market. So while you can pretty much assume most people have been exposed, there's no way of knowing if they are carrying it unless they've had problems caused by it (abnormal pap or warts in women, cancer or warts in men). They CAN test men, but it hasn't proven to be reliable enough to be approved by the FDA (therefore becoming readily available) since it involved swabbing the area and there is no way of knowing where exactly the virus will end up hiding out. All of this is US based, I have no knowledge of what is available or common practice in other countries.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
I love this sentiment!!

The (or rather - another) problem with HPV is that there is no test for men on the market. So while you can pretty much assume most people have been exposed, there's no way of knowing if they are carrying it unless they've had problems caused by it (abnormal pap or warts in women, cancer or warts in men). They CAN test men, but it hasn't proven to be reliable enough to be approved by the FDA (therefore becoming readily available) since it involved swabbing the area and there is no way of knowing where exactly the virus will end up hiding out. All of this is US based, I have no knowledge of what is available or common practice in other countries.
Oh, noes.

So, my doctor was right. He swabbed (it`s more like a brush) the actual wart to determine that it was HPV. But, after it was removed, he told me there`s no way to tell for certain whether or not you still have it.

Hence, the waiting period, after which you`re for all intents and purposes considered cured or inactive.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I heard on Polyamory weekly about a HSV group that had conventions, parties, and education events as well as support. I thought this was awesome. Going to look into something like that.
Sweet, when in doubt, use LATEX! And educate folks about the issue. Take it as a gift. You can become the Neighbourhood Goddess of HPV Awareness!

I'm infected, Vanilla's infected, we've both had abnormalities that have since disappeared. I'm told approx. 80% of the population round these parts has it. So yeah, social networking might get you laid MORE OFTEN! Talk about a silver-lining.

If you have a freak-outing new partner, I would use gloves, dams and condoms with a relish and avoid touching mouth, hand, anus or genitals with any of the previously mentioned parts of the partner without a barrier or a really good wash. Note that vigourous brushing is not a good idea. And maintain strict separation of gloved vs. bare hand, reserving bare hand only for yourself, for example, and use the gloved hand only on your partner. Looking up tips on having safer anal sex should apply in most cases.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM

I just learned to put a condom on with my mouth, it's actually very easy!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM

So... Last night, I told a woman I've been talking to (we met on OkCupid) that I have HPV. This made Keith wonder whether or not he should tell women he may potentially date that he is probably a carrier.

On one hand, he doesn't KNOW, and there is no definitive way for him to find out.

On the other, the likelihood is pretty darn high since it's obviously been active in my system and we have unprotected sex.

What are everyone's feelings on this? Once again, I'm conflicted... The woman I told took it very well, as has everyone I've told in the past, but it's so hard for him to find women who are poly or open to it in the first place that it seems harsh to have to throw another thing out there that would make him seem undesirable.

I know doctors say it isn't really necessary to tell CASUAL partners, but what about potential long term lovers? When does a guy bring it up? Or should he?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM

km34,

I go by what I would like to know. He is almost certainly a carrier, even if it can't be 'confirmed'. So if I was a potential partner of your husband's, even casually and with condom use expected, I would want to know. That way I can make a full decision. However, other people lean differently.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:12 PM

When would you expect to be told?

I told a woman I am meeting next week before we even met because I didn't want to have her freak out about it and have essentially wasted the money/time spent on our first meet. It came up pretty naturally in conversation, though, so I didn't have to go out of my way to make it known. Turns out she was really cool about it.

Most people these days seem to be pretty educated about it (more than I expected), but is it going to be a point against him from the get go if he tells people early on? Yet if he waits is it going to seem like he was purposefully hiding it?

Personally, I don't expect to ever hear from guys that they are HPV carriers. They have no way of knowing when/if it's active or even if it's in their systems. I know it's a risk I take with every sexual partner I have, and it's a risk I'm willing to take. I also don't see myself telling anyone after it's been inactive for 6 months to a year.

Tags
awareness, sexual health, std, std's, sti, sti's