Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Site Usage > User Guidelines & Forum Features

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Default Inserting an image in a post

Calling all geeks,

I tried to insert an image (photo) into a post as the icon suggests in the post composing box. It didn't work. It asked for a URL, really odd, since most images are uploaded from one's own hard drive. But, since it asked for it, I posted my image on my profile album. Then I opened the image and copied and pasted the URL. Still didn't work.

Is this a function that just happens to be on the page, but just doesn't happen.

Thanks, Frank
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Using the image icon above the text box needs an image that is online somewhere. However, you can upload an image from your hard drive another way. Scroll down the page when posting and you will see a box called "Additional Options." Where it says "Attach Files" click on the "Manage Atachments" button. A pop-up window will appear and you can upload from there.

Images uploaded this way show in a post as an attachment that needs to be clicked on to view. They don't get embedded in the message.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 03-11-2012, 01:01 AM

Default Flying Solo

Well, here's an attempt to follow Cindie's directions. (Yeah, I know now it's NYC indie.... why'd you have to spoil it
It still would be really cool to insert an image right into the text in a post. Any images I use by the way... are mine.
So, here it is, how it feels flying solo when everyone else around here, it appears is flying in a Vee... so to speak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hatteras 2 Thm.jpg (39.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:04 AM

Default Cool!

That sort of worked... Thanks Ms Indie!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 AM

noice boid!

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 AM

There are several different ways to accomplish what you want. If you're looking to embed your pictures like so, then it's different from adding an attachment.

If you want to upload directly from your PC, go to User CP (top left) and click on "Pictures & Albums" under the "Networking" section on the left. Start an album, upload a picture, viola. It'll give you both the BBCode version and the Picture URL version. Use the BBCode version and just inject it into the thread where you want it. You don't need to click on the image button.

The Picture URL version is more for when you want to link somewhere that's not a forum. I would advise against this as it uses polyamory.com's bandwidth for every hit and they can't control traffic outside of their own forum but they can break links/delete pictures that are eating too much bandwidth.

Alternatively, you can use a site like photobucket or imageshack and host your pictures there. They are dedicated to picture storage and generally allow much higher resolution images. You can link from them by obtaining their BBCode (they'll provide it for you, just gotta copy the right one) or by using the image button and giving the direct link.

Either way you choose, be mindful of what you're doing. The picture I used is pretty obtrusive. For people with lower resolutions you may break the layout of the website which is extremely frustrating. I use a TV for my monitor (1080p, yay!), so it doesn't affect me, but someone with 1024x768 resolution (common in the US) may have to side-scroll just to read text because of a picture you link.

Source: 10 years forum administrator, 2 years as a global forum moderator for an independent gaming company

Photo: Sample image from Windows 7. Fair use applies.

Kyle: 27 year old male
Katie (rymmare): 25 year old female
Kids: girl: 5 years old, boy: 3 years old
Old 03-13-2012, 04:23 PM

Default That's what I wanted

Kyle, that's pretty impressive. The only thing more I could ask for would be to wrap the text around the image, but that's probably asking too much. Anyway, thanks for your instructions, and I will study them, though I don't really know the distinction between the BBCode version and the Picture URL version. I have no idea what BBCode is.

That picture of the desert is a pretty good, high definition photo for a file size of only 40.8 KB. I get a photo down to that size in Photoshop and it loses all its resolution. And, you got your photo to exactly 600 pixels wide, which is the widest that Polyamory.com allows. Good work. And the fact that you got it way under the Polyamory size limit of about 90 KB.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLee View Post
Kyle, that's pretty impressive. The only thing more I could ask for would be to wrap the text around the image, but that's probably asking too much. Anyway, thanks for your instructions, and I will study them, though I don't really know the distinction between the BBCode version and the Picture URL version. I have no idea what BBCode is.

That picture of the desert is a pretty good, high definition photo for a file size of only 40.8 KB. I get a photo down to that size in Photoshop and it loses all its resolution. And, you got your photo to exactly 600 pixels wide, which is the widest that Polyamory.com allows. Good work. And the fact that you got it way under the Polyamory size limit of about 90 KB.
BBCode is Bulletin Board Code. Made especially for use on Internet Forums. It's just a simple way to code things, without giving anyone power to attack the site, such as HTML would.

Picture URL is literally the URL of the image, which you can find by right clicking and selecting "copy image location" or something similar. I'm using Firefox, but other web browsers will differ slightly. Once copied, you can then paste it, much as you would with anything.
=]
Old 04-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Inserting an image in a post

You could insert the image as a background image of a table and position the text by table cells and margins of the text paragraphs. But you would have to make sure that nothing changes the font size, because that would move the text away from its position.