Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 AM

I like the table analogy loads.

For me, commitment is something separate from relationship structure. I have several platonic relationships that are committed and loving. With those people, work is done to maintain the relationships, to think of each other and to be there for each other.

IP
Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTeddy View Post
To me, commitment is about loyalty and dedication. It's about saying "I'll stand by you and work hard to make this relationship work". I think that can apply to all relationships, poly or mono, and has nothing to do with "control".
I agree, although I always believe that commitment to one's principles should always come before commitment to people. I don't know anyone (including myself) who always practices this, but it's the ideal I strive for.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKat View Post
See, but even that is a problem for me. Being exclusive doesn't mean being controlling. I still let my wife be free to do what she wanted when we were mono. I trusted her not to cheat on me.

They are all separate. People need to be more trusting. Mono or poly. Be more trusting.
Ack! I'd posted this before I realized I'd missed the point of the OP (reading backwards, I was). So I deleted my response, but not before you replied...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM

Hello again all! Remember me?
RE Redpepper's OP, I always thought of the anology of a relationship was a small boat or even a bed; something that you voluntarily "got inside" to share with someone else. The table idea doesn't work for me , it smacks too much of a barrier.
But hey RP , it got your point across and made the guy think, so it worked anyway.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtalon View Post
Ack! I'd posted this before I realized I'd missed the point of the OP (reading backwards, I was). So I deleted my response, but not before you replied...
You still had a point. People do confuse. It bothers me. Even if I were mono I would never control my wife. She can talk to who she wants she can hang out with who she wants she can do what she wants.

One of my ex girlfriends cheated on me once with an ex of hers. I think she was more upset than I was about it.

Kyle: 27 year old male
Katie (rymmare): 25 year old female
Kids: girl: 5 years old, boy: 3 years old

Tags
autonomy, co-dependence, co-dependency, commitment, love, marriage, relationships