Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
Maybe non-monogamous would be a better term for you. It doesn't imply the relationship-focus of poly or the sex-focus of swinging.
I identify with the description, yet I`m bummed out I have to ascribe a negative term to myself.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelyunicorn View Post
I identify with the description, yet I`m bummed out I have to ascribe a negative term to myself.
Hmm... maybe just "open"?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
Hmm... maybe just "open"?
Yes, I`ve used that term. Also "free", although I think it sounds a bit utopian.

A friend of mine used the term "free" to describe bisexuality, which is cool in my case because I am bicurious. But, lately I`ve been using both poly and bi. I avoid the -amorous part sometimes, sometimes not. I am both polyamourous and polysexual. And the amorous part in my case has everything to do with friendship and nothing to do with marriage, children, or cohabitation.

Labels!

Last edited by feelyunicorn; 03-03-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Oddly enough, a simple term might help. Friends-with-benefits. I don't see it used in terms of established relationships and poly very often, but I can see how it fits what you're looking for. It's something my wife and I have dealt with.

A friend you can connect to, hang out, go to movies, play video games, see your kids play together, chat about life, anything everything etc. And yeah, at times, when sex happens, it happens and is a good, non-weird thing.

FwB can give you that long-term sincere connection (if they are/become a close friend) without the restrictions of a relationship (expectations).

This is used so casually typically that it may not be the best idea. I don't see it as the same as a booty-call.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polywaw View Post
Oddly enough, a simple term might help. Friends-with-benefits. I don't see it used in terms of established relationships and poly very often, but I can see how it fits what you're looking for. It's something my wife and I have dealt with.

A friend you can connect to, hang out, go to movies, play video games, see your kids play together, chat about life, anything everything etc. And yeah, at times, when sex happens, it happens and is a good, non-weird thing.
I don't really like the term "Friends with Benefits" that much, simply because it has come to be used mostly as someone you call just for sex. SourGirl had once suggested the term "Lover-Friend," which I really like.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 05-01-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Smile

Lover-friend.

I like that! I think it's a very good term.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM

I've always liked "intimate friend" as it indicates something deeper than a fuck buddy who happens to be a friend. To me "benefits" indicates something different than sex. Then again I am not into sport sex sooooo ya, friends with benefits doesn't fit.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM

Sport sex?

The whole casual aspect of sex for me doesn't really exist. No emotional connection = little reason for sex.

However, recreational/enjoyment/non-procreational, yeah, absolutely, I just need emotions.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polywaw View Post
Sport sex?
I like this term because it denotes that sex is like a sport for some rather than casual. Sex just isn't casual I don't think... regardless of who its with... besides, people take their sport very seriously and I have noticed that people who indulge in casual sex also take it very seriously. So therefore, "sport sex" seems to fit better for me. I tend to respect the idea more as a result too. Just my own personal way of seeing it all.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM

That makes a lot of sense and describes someone i know very well. Thanks!

Tags
ex-swingers, from swinging to poly