Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 PM

Default Jealousy as a social construct

This question has hosted a wrestling match between me and my mind for some time now.

When I first ventured into polyamory (without knowing that there was a word for it), I felt pangs of emotional discomfort whenever one of my partners spent time with another guy, sexually or otherwise. Over time, those pangs sizzled up. I grew more confident that we're all unique and that interests ebb and flow.

So that got me thinking: This confidence... I feel like I was born with that confidence, with the understanding. Not that I had to develop it. I was developed out of it.

My wavering conclusion is that in our purest of forms, jealousy (edit: in the context of intimate relationships) is non-existent. There is no shortage of love or resources because 'possession' isn't a part of our natural lexicon.

What do you think?

Last edited by polyFM; 02-12-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 PM

Jealousy is observed in infants 6 months old. It's not a social construct in it's basic form. Social conditioning can shape the manifestation and expected reactions to it, but it exists as a documented emotional response.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/communicati...t-jealousy.php

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Jealousy is observed in infants 6 months old. It's not a social construct in it's basic form. Social conditioning can shape the manifestation and expected reactions to it, but it exists as a documented emotional response.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/communicati...t-jealousy.php
Competing for a mother's milk isn't exactly the same as being jealous. That sounds like a little projection there. Besides, even infants imitate what they observe around them at a very early age. Studies have shown that infants begin imitating facial movements of those around them as early as one hour after birth. They develop the same facial expressions of the people they see all the time; when a baby learns to walk, they adopt the gait and armswing of the parents they see most often; and when they begin to vocalize, they imitate the tone and cadence of their caregivers. Jealousy is quite possibly something else that is observed and imitated. By the time a kid is about seven years old, the cake is baked and they have already made choices unconsciously about strategies for living. I learned this when I was studying bodywork and have seen these things firsthand when I used to take care of my friends' babies.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 02-12-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
That sounds like a little projection there. .
Not sure if you are referring to me projecting or the article? Not here to argue the brain mapping science my friend..there are other references but who needs to beat a dead horse. Just adding my perspective and opinion based on science that I didn't create or project. Even animals exhibit traits of jealousy...it's a survival mechanism to ensure needs get met...obviously not an issue within the poly environment where love is considered infinite, but hey just my addition.

Poly Events All Over

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 02-12-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 AM

I like some of your thinking polyFM...

By being a part of the greater consciousness of humanity I think we inherit some of humanities dysfunctions, and perhaps one could argue that jealousy is one of those things that we inherit to a degree.

But I also believe that mostly we learn it, even as an infant.

I believe that our very core nature is not a jealous one, and so yes, perhaps the journey into poly is a form of shedding learned and inherited social constructs into something more in line with our true nature...

I just wish there was a pill I could take to help me shed the jealous nature - LOL!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 AM

Cool. Mono - I should clarify - in the context of intimate relationships, I'm beginning to think that jealousy had no place up until recently. That once agriculture kicked in, a shortage of intimacy was introduced, leading to the jealousy that serves as a background noise to so many relationships today.

polyexplorer - You just typed up my own convictions more eloquently than I ever could .

Last edited by polyFM; 02-12-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you are referring to me projecting or the article?
No, not you, Mono, I meant that I think the scientists who saw competition and interpreted it as jealousy might have been projecting their own take on what they observed a little bit.

And my feedback was based on other scientific findings. So... we could go round and round.

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 02-12-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:

And my feedback was based on other scientific findings. So... we could go round and round.
Let's not NYC, we suck at that I'll just leave my comments at that and carry on.

Poly Events All Over
Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Let's not NYC, we suck at that I'll just leave my comments at that and carry on.
Let's go round and round on the dance floor instead.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Let's go round and round on the dance floor instead.
I like your attitude! I often wonder how people could relate in person..I bet we'd make great dance partners...once I had a few drinks...not that I dance better - I just think I can

Poly Events All Over

Tags
communication, compassion, compersion, emotions, envy, feelings, jealous, jealousy, monogamy, poly, polyamory, possessiveness, relationship dynamics, relationship structures, relationships, respect, self esteem, unconscious