Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 AM

Question Bisexual, Pansexual, Polysexual...is it all semantics?

Recently, I have been doing a lot of soul searching and self-reflection on my sexual identity. I identified as a polyamorous bisexual several years ago. Since I have not actually had sex with a woman yet, some would say I can only call myself "bi-curious" which I find kind of funny. Do virgins have to say they are only "hetero-curious" until they do it?

I think I have found the best definition for how I feel about my sexual attraction to others in the term "pansexual" which, according to Wiki is synonymous with being gender-blind. I have the most actual experience with men who are both biologically male and who self-identify as heterosexual males. But as for individuals that I have felt attraction for they are varied, including ftm trans. The point is, my attraction to someone is not based on their gender. So to me, pansexual fits - if the gender-blind definition is accurate. But I have found some resources that claim pansexual is a derogatory term.

I am curious what others think about this.

I know, I know - labels suck. But sometimes you need to use words to explain, you know? When I first read about the idea of pansexuality it was like I finally had a word for what I have been feeling my entire adult life. It was freeing.

Tags
bisexual, pansexual, polysexual