Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I just have two questions re terminology used in this thread: what do "dtf" and "10&4's" mean?
Works out of town on 14 day cycles, 10 days on, 4 days off.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 AM

Default I've thought of this but never asked

When I read the title of this post, I thought it was rather interesting. My husband seldom wears his and I usually do. I feel like I should wear it because it would feel like lying not to have it on. This is just my preference, but I also feel that its very inhibiting to meeting any one new. I know that being honest and up front is important. I suppose I will continue to wear it and I guess be pleasantly surprised if I do meet anyone. Maybe we need to go to some poly gatherings. I think it would help if I ventured outside of my little world.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
I know men like to chase,
Seriously, you may want to check the sexism at the door. I don't care to chase and never have. So much for the notion that liking to chase is part of being a man.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
Works out of town on 14 day cycles, 10 days on, 4 days off.
Well, there ya go. I'm wrong again.
(anyone see that tylenol commercial where the girl says 'I like a man who can admit when he's wrong.' and he says, 'oh...I'm wrong a lot.'?)

Learn something new every day. In this forum, sometimes many somethings.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM

Not married, not looking like I ever will be, but I did notice an interesting phenomenon with the married, poly fellow I was involved with about four years ago.

When we started, wedding ring was on. I remember being in bed with him and thinking, "Yep, that's a first....(head explodes)"

Then, as things progressed, ring came off. Stayed off even though he told me his wife would yell at him to put it on before he went out places with me.

That's also how I knew things were more or less ending. Ring back on.

As for me, the dent is long-gone from where that engagement ring once sat. I miss something sparkly there, don't miss that relationship. I've got my grandmother's wedding right on my right hand given to me by my grandfather after she died. If it's the last ring of such sort I'll ever have, I'm OK with that.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzels View Post
When we started, wedding ring was on. I remember being in bed with him and thinking, "Yep, that's a first....(head explodes)"
When I was briefly dating a married poly guy last summer, I remember a moment in bed with him when I looked down at his hand on my breast and got incredibly turned on by the fact that he was wearing a wedding ring. Normally, wedding rings aren't even something I register - I have to remind myself to look for one when I meet someone new - so I was really surprised by my reaction.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM

SW noticed my wedding ring while we were in bed; I don't know if his head exploded :-). It was kinda hot to wear it while having sex with someone not my spouse - tinge of the forbidden I guess! I always wore my ring but given that I was socializing with mostly poly/alt types it was not a big deal.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:24 AM

All I can remember thinking at the moment was, "Huh, I didn't put that there" (as in the ring on the finger).

I don't think we ever even talked about it being there or not being there when it went away.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
Seriously, you may want to check the sexism at the door. I don't care to chase and never have. So much for the notion that liking to chase is part of being a man.
I think there's a difference between "sexism" and observing different tendencies between the sexes.

I think of sexism as things like: Men can't raise kids; Women can't work in business; Men can't cook; Women can't build houses.

But there are many "generalizations" about men and women that are true more often than not. Of the emotionally high-maintenance people I've met, more tend to be women. Of the people I've met who enjoy ongoing casual sex without developing emotional attachments, more tend to be men.

Men and women do, without question, have different DNA. That DNA causes huge hormonal changes during puberty, unless you take medications to suppress them. Testosterone and estrogen make people behave differently. So it's not "sexist" to point out that men generally behave differently than women.

Now that being said, I wouldn't agree that "wanting to chase" is an innate "male trait." I think it's another one of those societal pressures. Men fear rejection just as much as women, and "chasing" essentially means repeated rejection from the same person until you wear them down. I can't imagine why anyone would like that! Men who chase do so because women force them to.

Or to put it another way... wanting to chase women is about as innate as wanting to be captured, thrown over some strong man's shoulder, and dragged into his cave. Now, from what I understand, the modern feminist movement generally opposes this type of behaviour...

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 02-13-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 AM

Its up to you. What you have choosen must be good one.

Last edited by petersemoll; 04-03-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Tags
dating, marriage, ring, rings