Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 AM

Default Favourite movies thread

I hope it's ok to make a thread where poly people can post a link to a preview of a favourite movie of theirs and maybe talk about it a bit? I know there are threads about poly movies, or movies that would have been better with a poly ending, but just wanted a thread for poly people's favourite movies; may or may not have poly in it or been better with a poly ending type thing.. well, assuming it's ok, here goes one of my favourite movies that I just watched:

Inception

God I loved this movie. The idea of sharing dreams, just wow. I guess this could be considered somewhat poly.. it's certainly pretty intimate. I've been a fan of Christopher Nolan, who likes to both write and direct his films, ever since he did Memento; Memento became my favourite melancholy movie. But I like Inception even more. And the music, man the music. I've been listening to some of the pieces ever since I saw the movie about a week ago.. really one of those films I don't think I'll ever forget.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Hey Scott,

I wasn't such a fan of Inception but I did watch Waking Life: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/ a while ago which is about dream states too and I thought was pretty good.

I also really really like the Pirates of the Caribbean films (esp. the first one). I love them for the whole being open to life and possibility vibe that there is throughout. I always find them uplifting.

IP
Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 PM

My favourite movie of all time is The Princess Bride. The book is even better.

I even bought the t-shirt...

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 01-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitePossibility View Post
Hey Scott,

I wasn't such a fan of Inception but I did watch Waking Life: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/ a while ago which is about dream states too and I thought was pretty good.
I just saw the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2DeTet98o), looked pretty trippy, heh :-). I liked this clip of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=IzrImMmrAW0

The idea of unconscious telepathy, extending to the dreamworld, is something that I've believed in for a long time. May be seeing more of it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitePossibility View Post
I also really really like the Pirates of the Caribbean films (esp. the first one). I love them for the whole being open to life and possibility vibe that there is throughout. I always find them uplifting.
Cool :-). I liked them too, but don't think I'd put them in my favourite category. I'm wondering if maybe they might be a bit more appealing to women.. been thinking of some aspects of it, I think this might be the case. Seriously, it seems that everyone of importance is after that blonde woman in the films, laugh :-).

What did you think of the Matrix series?

Last edited by Scott; 01-31-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
My favourite movie of all time is The Princess Bride.
I certainly agree that that was an awesome movie. It's been a long time since I've seen it but thinking back on it, yeah, that was a really cool movie.

Quote:
The book is even better.
Never read the book. I've found that if I see the movie first, I'm not so interested in the book; well, that's the way I felt after I saw "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" (good movie) and then started reading the book; I kept thinking, "I'm not interested in these details, just get on with the story already", laugh :-p. I read The Lord of The Rings trilogy (plus the hobbit) and then I saw the films; loved the films. Went back to read one of the books and it just couldn't hold my attention that long anymore. That being said, atleast in this case (maybe because I read all the books first), I feel like having read the books added to the experience. I actually read more then just "The Lord of the Rings" from J.R.R. Tolkien. Actually, my favourite one of his books was The Silmarillion, which is actually a compilation of stories set in the early Middle Earth Universe, when Sauron was but a powerful servant of Morgoth. Specifically, I loved the story of Beren and Luthien.

Quote:
I even bought the t-shirt...
I see. That bit about Inigo repeating the same line over and over despite his increasing severe injuries was a bit funny, heh :-). Metaphorically, I guess you could compare it to V for Vendetta's injuries near the end of that film, but, ofcourse, V doesn't live long after that.

Last edited by Scott; 01-31-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 AM

in regards to Pirates of the Caribbean:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Cool :-). I liked them too, but don't think I'd put them in my favourite category. I'm wondering if maybe they might be a bit more appealing to women.. been thinking of some aspects of it, I think this might be the case. Seriously, it seems that everyone of importance is after that blonde woman in the films, laugh :-).
I'm more fond of Johnny Depp than the woman; although I'm known to answer to 'why is the rum gone?' with: 'Because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels' (and that because the rum is often gone around here!)

Quote:
Dunno if you were asking generally or IP specifically...
But I loved The Matrix series. I have a fondness for Keanu, in spite of the fact that he is rather cardboard like.

I also have a fondness for messiah stories of every kind. Also, I never met a cinderella version that I didn't like; and I'm awfully fond of King Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere too. I was 13ish when I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and it was SO the rage. I read it and thought 'what's the deal? It's just story of jesus told with seagulls.'

I have a gorgeous long dark raincoat, and I love to pretend I'm Trinity, and packing lots of guns, when I wear it.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 AM

I have many favorites, and I love stories. Couldn't get enough fairy tales when I was a kid. One way I judge what's a favorite is do I want to spend the money on it and drag it through my life with me.

Moonstruck is one of my very favorites. I love stories about big families just living lives out loud (not of quiet desperation). I love the breakfast scene. 'whatcha doin'?' 'Waiting for Johnny Cammereri' 'oh' and they all keep eating.

Stitch is a favorite. I saw it in theatres at least seven times, and I have it on DVD, VHS, and the second movie on DVD, and a dvd my dad made by recording all the stitch shows on disn3y channel. "This is my fam-i-ly. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yah, still good." Although, it's the scene where he says "I'm lost." that I think is what bound me to it. He obsessed with The Ugly Duckling story.

When I first played my Stitch DVD, somehow French language was turned on. And it was absolutely impossible to be frightened of Captain Gantu. The music is all scary, and his voice is deep, but the French is just to pretty to sound scary.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
in regards to Pirates of the Caribbean:
Quote:
I'm more fond of Johnny Depp than the woman;
You are a woman yourself, are you not ;-)? Just like men sometimes like movies where a guy has more then one woman to choose from, I suspect that women tend to like movies where the woman has more then one guy to choose from, heh :-)

Quote:
although I'm known to answer to 'why is the rum gone?' with: 'Because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels' (and that because the rum is often gone around here!)
Lol :-)

Quote:
Quote:
Dunno if you were asking generally or IP specifically...
Don't worry, I'm not one of those types of people that does that "butt out of this, this is between me and X" types of responses, laugh :-). If I had wanted a private conversation, I would have PMed IP.

Quote:
But I loved The Matrix series. I have a fondness for Keanu, in spite of the fact that he is rather cardboard like.
A lot of people say that about him, laugh :-). Sometimes I think I have a bit of this trait of his, which might be seen as not being able to connect to his emotions too easily. This being said, I've always thought that the characters he plays tend to have a heroic quality to them, which I've always admired.

Quote:
I also have a fondness for messiah stories of every kind.
I do as well, as long as they're not overly pretentious :-p

Quote:
Also, I never met a cinderella version that I didn't like; and I'm awfully fond of King Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere too.
Same here. I want to see First Knight one day, which definitely plays on the King Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere triangle and has Richard Gere playing Lancelot, an actor I've always liked.

Quote:
I was 13ish when I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and it was SO the rage. I read it and thought 'what's the deal? It's just story of jesus told with seagulls.'
I read the plot over at wikipedia, and it sounds much better then Jesus' alleged story to me, laugh :-). Personally, if we're talking about stories regarding Jesus, I think that my favourite one is encapsulated in The Da Vinci Code (I found both the book and the movie to be good). Aside from the obviously fictitious elements in the novel and film, even one of the (non fiction) books that it was based on (The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail) apparently had serious flaws to it . That being said, the story line is -so- much more interesting then the "official story" regarding the life of Jesus that I'd heard until that point that I can forgive them their innacuracies. It's not like the "official story" as told by christian religions has been shown to be any less fictitious; I'd say that it's even more so. I was also quite impressed with the first Zeitgeist documentary, which deals with religions and christianity especially, in the first part of the movie (the second and third parts deal with 9/11 and the international banking cartels, which I also found to be quite interesting).

Quote:
I have a gorgeous long dark raincoat, and I love to pretend I'm Trinity, and packing lots of guns, when I wear it.
Woot, lol :-)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I have many favorites, and I love stories. Couldn't get enough fairy tales when I was a kid.
I like stories a fair amount too; but the I get tired of the simplicity of the disney set of them sometimes :-p.

Quote:
One way I judge what's a favorite is do I want to spend the money on it and drag it through my life with me.
Lol, good way to judge :-).

Quote:
Moonstruck is one of my very favorites. I love stories about big families just living lives out loud (not of quiet desperation).
I'd heard of this movie before; just saw a trailer of it, looks pretty good :-).

Quote:
I love the breakfast scene. 'whatcha doin'?' 'Waiting for Johnny Cammereri' 'oh' and they all keep eating.
That her paramour? I'll probably have to see the movie, laugh :-)

Quote:
Stitch is a favorite. I saw it in theatres at least seven times, and I have it on DVD, VHS, and the second movie on DVD, and a dvd my dad made by recording all the stitch shows on disn3y channel. "This is my fam-i-ly. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yah, still good."
Lol :-). I loved stitch too.

Quote:
Although, it's the scene where he says "I'm lost." that I think is what bound me to it. He obsessed with The Ugly Duckling story.
Heh heh :-)

Quote:
When I first played my Stitch DVD, somehow French language was turned on. And it was absolutely impossible to be frightened of Captain Gantu. The music is all scary, and his voice is deep, but the French is just to pretty to sound scary.
Laugh :-)