Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Not a message, but I just had to share that my OKC profile was visited today by someone residing in Funafuti, Tuvalu. Freakin' Tuvalu!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Well, my first experience with a really unpleasant person on okc. I know those one sentence + misspelling persons of course, but there was one, who got on my nerves. I was in a reasonable good mood, therefore I asked him politely to stop spamming, that his behaviour doesn't encourage an answer at all. He asked me about some musicians, who I didn't know. Here is his reply:

Quote:
Okay, if you dont know any of those persons, you are not worth writing to

And please spare me for your hypocrisy.

You are living with two men and gets offended because I am talking about getting you wet and giving you orgasmes?

Come down to earth. I will not waste my time with you

Goodbye
How ... not surprising, I guess.

My Blog
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 PM

I just got a very simple message from a man who complimented my physical features (positively - like my smile and hair, not my boobs), commented on some reading interests we share, and then told me he was interested in pursuing me and that he hoped to hear from me soon.

At first I was amused by some of the word choices (and the fact that he signed it Regards, HisName which I have always found an odd way to close a personal message), but then I realized that this was one of the most straightforward messages I've gotten on there and that he technically did everything right (showed he read my profile by commenting on things said, paid me a personal compliment, and included some information about himself) even if it was in a way that struck me as kind of awkward. Then again, almost everything about attempting online dating feels awkward to me.

I did respond. We'll see what happens.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
...the fact that he signed it Regards, HisName which I have always found an odd way to close a personal message)...
Really? What is odd about that? I'm really curious. When I message people on OKC, I usually sign it:

Regards,
nycindie

or

Cheers!
nycindie

How would you expect it to be signed?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM

"Regards" always seemed rather formal and impersonal to me.

Cheers is a good one. A lot of people seem to say "Hope to hear from you soon," which I usually like as long as the rest of the message wasn't needy or insecure-sounding (the whole "you probably won't be interested in me, but...." type stuff).
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 AM

I certainly think the only thing that's odd about it is that it sounds too polite from OKC. Usually I get a "'Sup!"

In North Carolina? Check out: facebook.com/ncPoly
In Raleigh/Durham? Check out www.meetup.com/TrianglePolyamory
Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RfromRMC View Post
I certainly think the only thing that's odd about it is that it sounds too polite from OKC. Usually I get a "'Sup!"
I get a few "hey"s myself. That's the message: hey.

I've been tempted to respond back with what I always tell my nephew when he's flitting around trying to get everyone's attention by saying hey - Hay is for horses, now what do you really want?

One reason I love that kid is that he finds all of my lame comments funny. lol
Old 05-23-2012, 07:26 PM

It wasn't on OKC but I recently got a message on another site where this chick tells me (us) that we are "Just what she's looking for" but, "I can't move until August."

Ok, freak me out a little! I'm thinking, "Dude we haven't even talked on the phone and you are planning on moving?? Slow the F down!"

She wrote several times. I finally told her that she's not what we are looking for.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:48 AM

I heard back from Mr. Regards and he seems much less formal in SECOND messages. We are having a nice conversation now.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 AM

Talking

^Awesome.

So I recently got one on a gay personals site: "So what's this polygamy thing you're into? You want seven husbands or something?? I can be down with that! So when do we start? How many you got so far??"

Uhh....

In North Carolina? Check out: facebook.com/ncPoly
In Raleigh/Durham? Check out www.meetup.com/TrianglePolyamory

Tags
communication, online dating