Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM

TGIG - I think that's a great way to put it! Forums generally center the conversation; social networks feel a bit more fluid in nature. Thanks for the input .

nycindie - thanks for those links. I just took a run through them and got a good idea of what people are looking for (or NOT looking for).

Quote:
I am sure researching other networking sites and seeing what works and what doesn't could be helpful. Are you familiar with polymatchmaker.com?
Yeah, I spent a good amount of time on PMM before moving forward with poly.fm. I had a couple major problems with it:
  • They're trying to monetize polyamory. I don't like that. I think this should be free for all. There is a cost to incur, but I believe that should be covered by either the owners of the site, donations, or non-intrusive ads (a la facebook).
  • The UX makes me cringe. The layout, registration process, forced field entry... *shudder*.

The team does seem active (their last update was a few days ago), but I don't see that site changing as much as I feel like it needs to any time soon.

BrigidsDaughter - I appreciate the feedback
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM

I like this idea a lot. A forum and a social networking site are two very different things. Both good. Just different. I like the logo that you have so far. A lot of the sites that cater to alternative lifestyles suffer from crappy design and all that. If you can make a site that is sleek, that will go a very long way!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM

This site is as much poly-saturation as I can handle, but I don`t see any harm in trying a networking site. It`ll rise or flop, on it`s own merits.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
I like this idea a lot. A forum and a social networking site are two very different things. Both good. Just different. I like the logo that you have so far. A lot of the sites that cater to alternative lifestyles suffer from crappy design and all that. If you can make a site that is sleek, that will go a very long way!
You should see user registration up towards the middle of this week. We can hone in on a "good enough" design in these beginning stages and then throw some serious design work at the end result. Updates to come!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Yes, very nice logo. What kinds of sites does the .fm domain designation usually stand for? I think of FM radio. Is it being used for other things now?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM

I think the archetype for its use is last.fm - a music streaming service. Other non-music sites have used it too - check this out: tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.fm

I chose that domain because it's short, simple, relevant, and memorable. "polymatchmaker" or "polysocialnetwork" etc just feel clumsy to me, you know?

Thanks for the logo props
Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Default Registration: Done

Hey guys -

User registration is up and ready for your feedback. The way we're rolling this out is in two stages - http://beta.poly.fm for beta testing as everything is developed in stages, and then www.poly.fm for the final product.

If you go to www.poly.fm now, you'll see only the logo.

If you go to beta.poly.fm, you'll see a log in page. In order to register, use the code rpoly.

This will give you access to registration and your basic user settings page.

Next up - user profile creation.

As always - feedback is welcome and desired .
Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Interesting. What's the backend platform? Are you looking for more help than feedback?

As much as I dislike certain parts of Fetlife's functionality, their visual design is much easier to read and use than the phpBB template used here. I also think strong mobile support would be a good thing.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM

We started with CodeIgniter but decided to just go with raw PHP on a LAMP stack, in the name of speed. Hosted on a VPS over at Rimuhosting for now. We might upgrade to Cassandra and dedicated servers if this ends up gaining traction but that's far down the road.

Mobile support is absolutely in scope. I think we'll start with just a m.poly variant and, given enough demand, offer free apps for various platforms.

Right now we're a two-man team but we're sailing smoothly - let me send you a PM with some more details .
Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyFM View Post
Hey guys -

User registration is up and ready for your feedback.

If you go to beta.poly.fm, you'll see a log in page. In order to register, use the code rpoly.
That was quick and painless. Large, easy-to-read buttons and so forth. Cool.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.

Tags
online dating, social networking