Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
The well-known fantasy/sci-fi author Ursula K. Le Guin deals with polygamy or other forms of non-monoamory in many of her tales, I could for example suggest her great collection of short stories The Birthday of the World.

The best sci-fi there is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birthday_of_the_World
Didn't read that one. The only one I've read of hers was The Lathe of Heaven, which didn't seem to have any poly in it, but I still thought it was an awesome book :-). My personal favourite poly author is Robert Heinlein. Apparently he wasn't actually poly in real life (or so the official story goes), but I found his book Stranger in a Strange Land to be truly inspirational. I was told about it by someone who's a member of HAI (Human Awareness Institute), which is an international organization who are supportive of poly people. I also really liked his book Glory Road, which does have a bit of poly in it. Heinlein isn't perfect; I think that he was a product of his time, which seems to be predominantly in the 60s. That being said, I really think he had some very good ideas concerning how sexual relations between people should be like.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I also really liked his book Glory Road, which does have a bit of poly in it. Heinlein isn't perfect; I think that he was a product of his time, which seems to be predominantly in the 60s. That being said, I really think he had some very good ideas concerning how sexual relations between people should be like.
Glory Road is one of my husband's and my favorite books ever! The first Heinlein I ever red. I don't think it was really poly in the book, it was more just open sexuality. Although, I believe the theme of loving one person not diminishing your love for another was represented even if it wasn't in a strictly romantic sense.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
Glory Road is one of my husband's and my favorite books ever! The first Heinlein I ever red. I don't think it was really poly in the book, it was more just open sexuality.
I guess.. that family where the main character was a guest of honor seemed pretty loving though, laugh :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by km34 View Post
Although, I believe the theme of loving one person not diminishing your love for another was represented even if it wasn't in a strictly romantic sense.
Yeah. Thinking of poly books, there was actually one other book that certainly had a poly element in it. It's another work of fiction, I've tended to generally just read fiction (with a few exceptions). It's called Ysabel, and details the story of 2 men who've loved the same woman for centuries and have fought countless battles for her hand. The story of mankind to some extent; the woman loves them both but, because sharing isn't an option, the battles ensue. It's finally ended by someone who ends up getting close to both of the men as well as the woman. I really liked it anyway, laugh :-).

It's from Guy Gavriel Kay, who just happens to be a Toronto, Canada author, where I've lived most of my life (though currently a bit further north).

Tags
books