Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigidsDaughter View Post
I have taken lessons for piano and clarinet. I played in marching band. I can also play flute and sax.
I played clarinet in marching and symphonic band from 7th to 12th grade - enjoyed every minute of it and my fellow band members are more like family than schoolmates.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychronopolous View Post
I've played the guitar and a few other instruments for quite a few years now. I've been in a few bands here and there, but always quit because I don't want to make a profession out of music (long story, I guess). My music tastes are quite varied, from death/grindcore to classical, singer/songwriter, indie, etc. I don't have anything of my own to share because I have yet to record anything, heh. I am trying to develop my sound/style right now, and I hope I am close to putting something down. We shall see... =)
Don't need to make a profession out of it to play it. =P I often split from bands because someone in the band always has something come up that takes down their time or money. With my last band, that guy was me. =P Now I'm planning on just solo projects and studio bands, rather than the gigging aspects. Will give me some good experience with recording too. =D

If you do get anything down, please share it with us. =]
=]
Old 01-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
Don't need to make a profession out of it to play it. =P I often split from bands because someone in the band always has something come up that takes down their time or money. With my last band, that guy was me. =P Now I'm planning on just solo projects and studio bands, rather than the gigging aspects. Will give me some good experience with recording too. =D

If you do get anything down, please share it with us. =]

That's true. But they always wanted to "go somewhere", which just isn't for me. Now I'm so fucking old, in the entertainment world, that the whole issue is moot. I want to work for money and play music for love. Well, I'd take free money and spend the rest of my time making music if it was an option =P

The sound I am currently working on developing, when perfected, should resemble an orgy with Iron&Wine, Phosphorescent, and Neutral Milk Hotel, while Ben Cooper of Radical Face sweats in the corner. Sorry, I love fucked up metaphors. LOL! If I ever achieve my goal and someone says "Hey man, you sound like (see above), I'll piss myself.

Do you use Spotify or Last.fm?

Married to: VioletLight
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychronopolous View Post
That's true. But they always wanted to "go somewhere", which just isn't for me. Now I'm so fucking old, in the entertainment world, that the whole issue is moot. I want to work for money and play music for love. Well, I'd take free money and spend the rest of my time making music if it was an option =P

The sound I am currently working on developing, when perfected, should resemble an orgy with Iron&Wine, Phosphorescent, and Neutral Milk Hotel, while Ben Cooper of Radical Face sweats in the corner. Sorry, I love fucked up metaphors. LOL! If I ever achieve my goal and someone says "Hey man, you sound like (see above), I'll piss myself.

Do you use Spotify or Last.fm?
I know where you're coming from. I'm happy just playing for the money it costs me to get to a gig really. With my last band, I never really paid for much of anything, which was great. Meant earning no money didn't bother me at all.

I have Spotify. Don't really use it all that much though. I find youtube to be much better usually if I want to listen to a song casually. Most the music I listen to is on a huge hard drive instead. =P

Brings me to an interesting question. Songs or albums?
I'm very much an album kinda guy. What really annoys me are people who can't even listen to a full song. They change to the next one before the last one is finished. =P I love full albums, start to finish.
=]
Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 PM

I like Spotify because I couldnt otherwise afford the amount of music I listen to without considerable expentiture. I have about 1200 albums on Spotify, and about that many on cd at home.

I am with you on albums vs. songs. I tend to like an artist as more of a package deal. If they only have one song I might like, they won't hold my interest.

Married to: VioletLight
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
Brings me to an interesting question. Songs or albums?
I'm very much an album kinda guy. What really annoys me are people who can't even listen to a full song. They change to the next one before the last one is finished. =P I love full albums, start to finish.
I tend to listen to albums, too . . . though I'm certain my collection is quite different from yours!

When I'm driving somewhere, though, I sometimes put the iPod on shuffle . . . which, in my case, is a little like riding in a malfunctioning time machine, zipping back and forth through three or four centuries of music.

(For example: Caravan Palace (recent "electro-swing"), followed by Lambert, Hendricks and Ross (jazz vocalise), followed by Hesperus (18th-century American dance music), followed by Crooked Still (alt bluegrass), followed by Django Reinhardt (original gypsy jazz), followed by Laurie Anderson (??) . . . you get the idea . . . and that doesn't even tough on Bach or Monteverdi!)

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by hyperskeptic; 01-24-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperskeptic View Post
I tend to listen to albums, too . . . though I'm certain my collection is quite different from yours!

When I'm driving somewhere, though, I sometimes put the iPod on shuffle . . . which, in my case, is a little like riding in a malfunctioning time machine, zipping back and forth through three or four centuries of music.

(For example: Caravan Palace (recent "electro-swing"), followed by Lambert, Hendricks and Ross (jazz vocalise), followed by Hesperus (18th-century American dance music), followed by Crooked Still (alt bluegrass), followed by Django Reinhardt (original gypsy jazz), followed by Laurie Anderson (??) . . . you get the idea . . . and that doesn't even tough on Bach or Monteverdi!)
I once went back and forth through 4 centuries. One hell of a headache after. =P

You'll be lucky if you see me listening to anything older than the 80s. Even then, the 80s is pushing it for me. =P I do love old Jazz and such from way back in the 20s and 30s, but i don't listening to it often at all. I'm very much a 90s guy. =P Doesn't mean I can't appareciate even older stuff though.
=]
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 AM

Somehow I missed this thread. I am yet another violinist on the site. Hmm we could have a poly string ensemble at this rate!!! I also sing, play piano and write music. I am getting ready to take the plunge and learn viola I think. I am also a wannabe fiddle player. My husband plays guitar and we try to do the contra-dance thing as well.

I guess this is a dream of mine but it would be to find a musician partner to play with us. Kind of makes me sad right now to think about it (just cuz I want it right now) but also happy because it seems like such a nice thing.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM

I have two jobs, one is as a church pianist. I've been playing at church for a little over a year and a-half. This is my first professional gig. When I took the job I hadn't practiced like I should for about 6 years, but thankfully playing piano is like falling off of a log for me.

I really love playing. I'd play even if I didn't have the job, but I do, so I play more : )

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.--EAP
Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 PM

I was a church pianist for 8 years. I loved it but my church closed. A new church tried me out as their pianist but they were part of the reason the other church closed their doors. The old church had sold me the piano as part of my service to them and I think the other church was trying to get me to let them have the piano. That Baldwin sure does look nice in my livingroom.

Tags
music, musicians, performance, recording, studio