Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 AM

Default Hello

Hello Everyone!

I am Drew, 45, married and straight, and live in the northeast USA. I have recently found out the hard way that I am poly. I fell in love with my good friend. Oh boy! It was the real thing… But I did not know anything about “poly” until after the fact. Oops!!! And so because I was raised a boy scout with Cinderella-monogamy-forever stories fluttering around in my naïve dopey head, and I very much also and still loved my wife, well, I was very confused and a pitiful mess. My coping skills and behaviors became that of a 14 year old. I became the jerk-cheater. I pretty much fucked everything up.

We are healing now after I really hurt and then almost lost my wife (and kids). I did lose my friend and I miss her. I am more than humbled, amongst many other things. But it all sticks with me and nags at me, this new “knowing” of what love and relationships are and/or can be. I have been reading a whoopin’ lot of poly books, and to think I thought I knew everything! The “be open and honest” rule… that should be part of high school health class, and then revisited every time one enters into a relationship… it is a very good rule.

So I am hear for good conversation with people who I don’t have to explain myself to in regards to loving two. It was a relief the other night when I first found this site and read some of your intros and exchanges, a real breath of fresh air. I hope to learn from you all and be supportive too.

There you go!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Yeah, dumping the toxic monogamy myths from one's psyche can take a bit of doing. I wasn't ever entirely comfortable with them, and think it only the constant pounding from all sides that kept me trying to live with them. I was not only a boy scout, but reared in a fundamentalist church!

I think it safe to say that I'm quite happy to be free of those situations as an adult.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM

My husband just discovered that he is poly. I am not. We have no children and I don't want to lose him, but I don't know how to try to live with this. Is there someone I can talk to? I love him and am willing to do anything to make our relationship work.

Please help me.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone
Yeah, dumping the toxic monogamy myths from one's psyche can take a bit of doing. I wasn't ever entirely comfortable with them, and think it only the constant pounding from all sides that kept me trying to live with them.

Very well said!!

Last edited by NeonKaos; 03-22-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: quote formatting
Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysnomia View Post
My husband just discovered that he is poly. I am not. We have no children and I don't want to lose him, but I don't know how to try to live with this. Is there someone I can talk to? I love him and am willing to do anything to make our relationship work.

Please help me.
Feel free to PM me I'm no great sage but I'm not poly either so I can try to help from that perspective. If I can't I'll simply be honest and tell you it's too much for me
Take care
Mono

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 03-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Welcome to the group, Drew.