Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 AM

I sing. Mostly for joy, and not entirely well, but I sing just the same. (the lord said make a joyful noise, and he didn't say anything about on-key)

And First bf bought me a ukelele for christmas. I'm not entirely sure why, but it's green and has silver sparkles on it. It's quite fun.

Had piano lessons as a kid. Group lessons at school, from an old man who spit on us when he talked. Horrible system, with numbers above the notes, so I learned that '5' was my pinky finger, rather than it was a 'g note.'

I sing along with the radio a lot, but left to my own, I sing folk songs, girl scout songs, and christmas carols.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
And First bf bought me a ukelele for christmas. I'm not entirely sure why, but it's green and has silver sparkles on it. It's quite fun.
A friend of ours in the contra dance world is a singer and musician by profession; she plays a mean swing guitar, and has recorded CDs of funky children's songs. She introduced my daughters to the ukulele . . . and now one of them has a sparkly green one and the other has a sparkly blue one. (Mahalo is the brand, right?)

What a great little instrument for learning to play chords to accompany singing!

(My daughters are also taking piano lessons with another dance friend, and one of them now wants to learn fiddle, as well.)

My wife - who has a degree in vocal performance, and used to play viola da gamba - got a green ukulele (without sparkles) and is learning along with the girls. She may move up (or is that down?) to a tenor ukulele, though, since her hands are bigger.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM

I went out and bought a small (10W) amp for my electric fiddle; it has a built-in overdrive (distortion) but that's about it.

Still, what a kick!

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-17-2012, 02:12 AM

I play guitar, badly, and have done so for 20 years.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperskeptic View Post
I went out and bought a small (10W) amp for my electric fiddle; it has a built-in overdrive (distortion) but that's about it.

Still, what a kick!
Blergh, built in effects on 10w amps. =P I suppose if it's only something you play in your own time, but if you perform, you could really do a lot better with at least 30w or more for a violin, and probably a separate overdrive/distortion pedal. You can get some 30w that start to get good effects built in though. The Roland Cube amps are really good for small venues and practising. They come built in with a few effects, and a lot of good tone changing stuff. But also fairly expensive for the size. >.<

When I'm playing bass, I don't really use effects live. My amp can really start to grind if I push it hard, which adds a fair bit of oomph, but for proper effects pedals and stuff, I just find them way too fiddly. =P I do enjoy the way it sounds just through the amp though, so that helps. =] When recording, I love trying out all sorts of different effects plugins. Just to see how they make it sound. Reverb is always an effect that can be great to use especially. As most rooms aren't all that great to record in, so you can add the sound of an actual good room to your instruments and transform it as if you actually recorded there.

NovemberRain, I see what you mean about the vocals, but I'm a huge fan of the "out of tune". =P In fact, I don't even much like the 12-tone scales we use. The whole major/minor thing we have to have going on. I often write music using all the notes, but I'd really love to get into using other scales completely.
For some really good twelve-tone stuff, - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-tone_technique - that is a really fantastic read.
=]
Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 AM

Yep, hyperskeptic, it's Mahalo. With the funky dvd for learning. I didn't realize they come in different sizes. I can reach an octave plus two on a keyboard ~ I have huge hands.

My mom loved to sing and she wanted me to sing with her. Trouble was, I was a beginner, and she tried to sing harmony before I had the tunes down, so I was matching pitch to her harmonies.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
Yep, hyperskeptic, it's Mahalo. With the funky dvd for learning. I didn't realize they come in different sizes. I can reach an octave plus two on a keyboard ~ I have huge hands.

My mom loved to sing and she wanted me to sing with her. Trouble was, I was a beginner, and she tried to sing harmony before I had the tunes down, so I was matching pitch to her harmonies.
I must have big hands too then. =P Just checked on mine.

Shame about teaching you that way. I'd love to have any vocal training I could get now though. Such a useful instrument to have. Equally beautiful at times too.
=]
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
Blergh, built in effects on 10w amps. =P I suppose if it's only something you play in your own time, but if you perform, you could really do a lot better with at least 30w or more for a violin, and probably a separate overdrive/distortion pedal. You can get some 30w that start to get good effects built in though. The Roland Cube amps are really good for small venues and practising. They come built in with a few effects, and a lot of good tone changing stuff. But also fairly expensive for the size. >.<
Yeah, it's just for my own practice, in the small room at home I use as office and practice room. The amp just has the overdrive, no other effects; it's really a very simple little thing. It's a Fender, so at least it has its reputation to trade on.

If I ever want to play around with effects, I'll borrow pedals from friends who have them.

I justified the purchase to myself on the grounds my wife is a dance caller, and may be able to use the amp for small gigs (at schools, for example, or private dance parties); other dance callers around here have this particular model, so I've at least seen it in action before.

If I ever upgrade to a real electric violin - the one I have is a bottom-of-the-line model, more toy than serious instrument - I might consider playing it in public . . . but, then, usually in a venue where the sound system is provided and I'd need, at most, my own individual monitor.

Until then, for public performance I generally make do with my acoustic fiddle and a clip-on condenser mic.

Last edited by hyperskeptic; 01-17-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
I play guitar, badly, and have done so for 20 years.
I've always wanted to play guitar in the worst way . . . and there you are, living the dream.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 PM

I've played the guitar and a few other instruments for quite a few years now. I've been in a few bands here and there, but always quit because I don't want to make a profession out of music (long story, I guess). My music tastes are quite varied, from death/grindcore to classical, singer/songwriter, indie, etc. I don't have anything of my own to share because I have yet to record anything, heh. I am trying to develop my sound/style right now, and I hope I am close to putting something down. We shall see... =)

Married to: VioletLight

Tags
music, musicians, performance, recording, studio