Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
In reading all the games mentioned in this thread, I feel like I'm looking at a foreign language!
LOL. Looking back over this thread I can see how someone could become confused if they were not gamers.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 AM

I started out playing games on Sega Genesis and PC. The first two games I ever became obsessed with were 3D Pinball Space Cadet and Sonic the Hedgehog. My favorite game of all time is still Guardian Heroes from Sega Saturn. I loved the multiple endings and variations in the game- plus having a bunny to fight through Earth, Heaven, and Hell with me was pretty cool.
I later switched to card games briefly- Pokemon and Magic mostly. I tried playing Yugi-Oh but cards like Injection Fairy sort of put me off. I also played, and still play, D&D. I still prefer 2nd ed. because it's what I learned to play originally.
I've done LARP in the past- but not in the last two years.
I used to play EQ and EQ2 along with FF11 and Runes of Magic. Currently I play World of Warcraft and Perfect World. My character's name on WoW is Moonchime on the Silver Hand server. I have a giant collection of Magic cards (still) and am looking for a group to do campaigns with (if not 2nd then 3rd ed). In addition I have two separate Chaos armies and some Space Marines painted with some terrain for Warhammer 40k.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setxfamily View Post
LOL. Looking back over this thread I can see how someone could become confused if they were not gamers.
When I'm having conversations with close gamer friends, most people around us are much the same way. =P But I think the classic board games and tabletop stuff can often make me feel the same way. I think I'd love to try some stuff like Warhammer and D&D, but never really had the chance.

I was a little into the Pokemon stuff when I was really young, but never got fully into it. I do still have a good deck of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards though. Haven't played in a long time. If I am going to play with cards these days, I much prefer a good game of mahjong or something.
=]
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
If I am going to play with cards these days, I much prefer a good game of mahjong or something.
Where I do enjoy a good game every now and then I have noticed that as I age (gracefully mind you) my choice in games has changed as well. I'm not sure if it is a patience thing or what. I still enjoy some of my older games but I do not have the same passion I use to have for them as I did when I was younger.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setxfamily View Post
Where I do enjoy a good game every now and then I have noticed that as I age (gracefully mind you) my choice in games has changed as well. I'm not sure if it is a patience thing or what. I still enjoy some of my older games but I do not have the same passion I use to have for them as I did when I was younger.
I've noticed this as well. Games like Warhammer used to hold my attention for the whole 4-6 hours they'd take to play. Now I prefer much shorter games with a higher strategy/combo element to them. Playing Warmachine is akin to playing speed chess mixed with Magic. You only have so long to do your turn, models play off each other, and you've got to be on the ball thinking not only of your turn two turns from now, but what your opponent will probably do. I think it's because I'm better thinking and acting off the cuff now then I was in my early twenties.

Of course, when it comes to video games, I never was much of a shooter player, and today's shorter games bug the crap out of me. What happened to the Final Fantasy style games that would take 60+ hours to beat and focused on story rather then pretty cut scenes?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicWolf View Post
I've noticed this as well. Games like Warhammer used to hold my attention for the whole 4-6 hours they'd take to play. Now I prefer much shorter games with a higher strategy/combo element to them. Playing Warmachine is akin to playing speed chess mixed with Magic. You only have so long to do your turn, models play off each other, and you've got to be on the ball thinking not only of your turn two turns from now, but what your opponent will probably do. I think it's because I'm better thinking and acting off the cuff now then I was in my early twenties.

Of course, when it comes to video games, I never was much of a shooter player, and today's shorter games bug the crap out of me. What happened to the Final Fantasy style games that would take 60+ hours to beat and focused on story rather then pretty cut scenes?
Same here. Though an amazing exception are Metal gear Solid games. Great story AND pretty cutscenes. But there are so many companies now just trying to spread stories over so many games, that each one can be completed in a day. Assassin's Creed, I'm looking your way. ¬_¬
I think Skyrim is really one of the best games I've played in such a long time. My quest log isn't even nearly complete. My map still hasn't been fully explored. I still haven't unlocked all my powers and 'shouts'... and most of all, I'm moving so slowly to level 81, I feel like it could be weeks in real time before I ever get there. These guys really know how to make a game.
=]
Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
I think Skyrim is really one of the best games I've played in such a long time. My quest log isn't even nearly complete. My map still hasn't been fully explored. I still haven't unlocked all my powers and 'shouts'... and most of all, I'm moving so slowly to level 81, I feel like it could be weeks in real time before I ever get there. These guys really know how to make a game.
Dude, it's an Elder Scrolls game. I played Daggerfall for years and never saw it all or got bored. They've perfected that style of game over the years. The only company that can match them, in story, imho s BioWare. Although I'll admit I'm a whore for them. The only game series by them I haven't touched is Bioshock. BrigidsDaughter just beat Dragon Age, and I've played through Mass Effect 2 probably 3-4 times already, with another in the works before 3 drops. I'm also working on The Old Republic. Haven't touched Bioshock simply because I don't want to get addicted. >.>
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Bioshock is pretty. Current bf stayed up for what felt like a week, until he completed it. He loves to explain the games to me. I'm good for watching a round or two at a time.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 01-12-2012, 02:32 AM

I have Bioshock, but still never properly played it. I find that being alone, late at night, in a dark room, whilst playing on a game, where I'm alone... in the dark, just makes me shit scared. =P

But I would love to get in and complete it. There's always so many games about these days though. So much choice. there are still games from 2010 I've been wanting to play, but not had the time or money.
=]
Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInBlack View Post
Magic Missile. Always Magic Missile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
"I shoot the darkness!!"

(Yes, real quote from a real gaming session. Wasn't me.)
SHHHH!! Don't wake the Gazebo!!!

Between GURPS and Munchkin TGIB and TGIG just became my new favorite peoples.

BridgetsDaughter get's honourable mention for rockin the Atari. ... I think I missed the opportunity to dig that out, the kids will never give up their Wii for that at this point.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?

Tags
computer, console, entertainment, gamer, gaming