Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Personally I would love to see a chat section or IMM, but if a new person asks a 'redundant' question and is made to feel unwelcome for it, it would serve no purpose.

Being sent to search the archives isn't feasable for most people with todays busy lifestyles. To be greeted with such a response only turns people away before you even know if they have something to contribute. Having more than one chat/IMM forum may be better where new people can ask questions and hopefully receive valuable info, as well as the 'experienced' chat/IMM.

If someone finds a question to 'redundant' don't respond, but don't make a newbie feel unwelcome for not knowing what you may have been asked a year previous!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Um, could we work on our other forum for us old timers too???? what's the news on that?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Olivier hasn't logged on in a while, and hasn't said a word in the Moderator's Forum. I'm merely a moderator, and have no independent decision-making powers. Also, I'm busier now with my life outside the forum that I used to be. There's only so much I can do here.

Olivier is the site owner, and things progress here at his pace and by his decision. I recommend that folks desirous of new features or forums write to Olivier directly at olivier@polyamory.com . Remember, three letters is more persuasive than one. So don't be bashful, folks!

River's Blog
Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 PM

I'm all for the live chat feature just as long as you can easily turn it on or off.

The chatroom for seasoned members... (hahaha)......may be a slippery slope. (HAHAHA)

Would I be allowed in? I have enough posts for "senior"status but have never been in a polyamourous relationship per se. I just wonder how that would work. Also, how could the chatroom benefit the community? I'm sure with a bunch of us on there some awesome trains of thought would develop. Just thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
If someone finds a question to 'redundant' don't respond, but don't make a newbie feel unwelcome for not knowing what you may have been asked a year previous!
What is the solution to this? It seems to be a big issue and I can see the point of both sides. Just so you all know, this "place" is very important to me. I do see it as a community. My inclination is to feel maternal toward terrified and clumsy polywogs (I love that fucking word), and to either not answer or give a short answer saying "welcome, read lots". But there has to be a better way to get people up to speed. Some barrier between cruising the internet and the sign-up process that educates the newbies.

My suggestion: When someone becomes a member, a welcome e-mail or private message is sent to their inbox. It has links to definition post,rules, other stickies, and information on using the search feature. ("If you have a question, you can also use the search feature which is located...")
Maybe even language such as, "Once you've settled in, feel free to introduce yourself to the group" or similar. Really clear and encouraging.

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:15 AM

Great ideas rarechild! I will be sad at the thought that there may be no history. I look back all the time at stuff I've said and what others say. I fear it will all be lost and unattainable.
Just emailed Oliver about a new forum and IM. Thanks for giving us the info river.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarechild View Post
My suggestion: When someone becomes a member, a welcome e-mail or private message is sent to their inbox. It has links to definition post,rules, other stickies, and information on using the search feature. ("If you have a question, you can also use the search feature which is located...")
Maybe even language such as, "Once you've settled in, feel free to introduce yourself to the group" or similar. Really clear and encouraging.
This is a great idea. I'm all for accessibility and open welcoming communication. An auto-generated e-mail seems to be a great solution for all of that. And I really like the spirit behind the idea
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarechild View Post
Would I be allowed in? I have enough posts for "senior" status but have never been in a polyamourous relationship per se.
"Seasoned" poly folk are those who either have had lots of "hands on" experience with Multiple Simultanious Loverly Relationships (MSLRs) ... [wink, wink] or persons with much experience working with and through the many issues and psychological/emotional "stuff" involved -- and who also have a poly agreement or understanding with their existing partner (if now in a dyad).

You and I are quite qualified, RC.

River's Blog
Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
"Seasoned" poly folk are those who either have had lots of "hands on" experience with Multiple Simultanious Loverly Relationships (MSLRs) ... [wink, wink] or persons with much experience working with and through the many issues and psychological/emotional "stuff" involved -- and who also have a poly agreement or understanding with their existing partner (if now in a dyad).

You and I are quite qualified, RC.
*ahem*

:P
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 AM

We're getting shit done. Look at that nice definition.

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
*ahem*

:P
Um... Translation, please?

Must I mention the names of all who are qualified ... or what?

River's Blog