Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 AM

My gf's husband had a problem with self-control in sexual situations for a good long while. This eventually almost led to the dissolution of their marriage, which is when he finally woke up and committed to changing.

He let her set the rules and pace going forward. They withdrew from outside encounters completely for a while, then went back in with guidelines (no bdsm activities with other women without getting an explicit ok from her, for example) just for him since he was the one with the problem. He still occasionally messed up, in which case she would yank back on the leash, so to speak, and revoke his outside contact privileges for a period of time to show him what his lack of control would get him.

It all sounds a little messed up, like she was "training" him, but it was coming from a place of love, desire to figure out a way forward, and acknowledgment of difficult to fix but impossible to live with issues on his end. Things have since gotten MUCH better now, to the point that he still checks in with her but she trusts him to do pretty much whatever because he's proven himself and really reformed.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arondela View Post
To update a bit...I reached out to K, and she is pretty horrified/mortified by the situation. ... We're talking it out and I feel better, and I still want to pursue at least friendship before she leaves. ... He is very remorseful, he feels terrible about it...
So, you're letting them both get away with it?

That shit just wouldn't fly with me. Your sister was there, having a conversation, on the same couch - my goodness. You sound a bit desperate, I hate to say, to be putting up with that shit. I would rather choose to have self-respect and people with integrity in my life over potential sex partners. Why so forgiving?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry

Last edited by nycindie; 01-06-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM

To be fair to K, she likely knew that other kinky people were there and may not have had any inkling that sister and BIL were the exceptions. I think she showed poor judgement in initiating contact, for several reasons, and hopefully she's learned from this, but it was hubs who KNEW this was not ok and yet went along with it, so I can see how she'd assume from that that nothing was amiss. He's the one who seriously bounded across a line here.

I've known a couple of people who were into getting away with sex in public and I just don't know how to resolve the fact that I find them to be caring, respectful folks and yet they're willing to potentially put other people in extremely awkward positions because they find it hot. What the heck? This is one kink I just can't get behind.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Annabel,
Why assume what K knew...Ask.

Just a coincidence she had the orgasm as the door shut. I'm guessing he didn't jump up and shake brother in laws hand and thank him for coming ... What is etiquette in this situation. I guess it wouldn't be noticeable if he was left handed. Is he left handed.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Seemed like a reasonable assumption and I figured the OP could correct me if I was wrong.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore
To be fair to K, she likely knew that other kinky people were there and may not have had any inkling that sister and BIL were the exceptions.
Annabel is correct, K didn't quite understand that my sis and her BF weren't into kink. I didn't exactly stand up and announce it at the party, which actually, maybe I should have done. K is new to the community, and new to experiences like this in general as well. It's really hard for me to place any blame on her given her inexperience.

She also didn't orgasm as the door was closing behind them (although that would be an impressive feat of timing). He continued playing with her for maybe 5-8 minutes or so after they left. It's hard to capture all the minute details of a situation in a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie
So, you're letting them both get away with it?

That shit just wouldn't fly with me. Your sister was there, having a conversation, on the same couch - my goodness. You sound a bit desperate, I hate to say, to be putting up with that shit. I would rather choose to have self-respect and people with integrity in my life over potential sex partners. Why so forgiving?
I'm perhaps letting him get away with it, but only if you frame it that way. The way I see it I have 2 options:

1. I can choose to consciously not forgive him, dole out some sort of punishment, and demand we never see her again. Out of that I gain "self-respect" but I also lose out on an opportunity I wanted too, which is in essence punishing myself as well. (Pursuing her alone doesn't hold the same appeal.)

2. My other option is to forgive and let go of things, chalking it up to a very stupid mistake on his part vs. actual lack of integrity or respect. Then both move forward slowly and cautiously together with clearer boundaries. Out of that option is the potential for something really great, which is what I wanted this whole time.

I suppose that could seem like desperation...but let's face it, amazing, attractive, intelligent women who you and your SO are attracted to *and* is attracted to both of you aren't exactly common. Also, I've been very thankful in the past for the times I've made mistakes and been forgiven for them.

It's something I remain excited about, the challenge is overcoming the hurt feelings & personal insecurities stirred, which I'm well on the road to doing.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 PM

Hey, I didn't see anything you did as letting him or them off the hook. Forgive, work past and eventually forget. Only you can judge the sincerity of the apology and the depth of the remorse. Good for you on option 2.

I know this is a little related but is it common to have kink parties with family and relatives involved?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post

I know this is a little related but is it common to have kink parties with family and relatives involved?
Eww in my books.
However some people seem very 'open' with their families. My husband and his family openly joke about sex and such, where as I really don`t want to have a visual of anyone related to me, boning anyone. Kink seems to have that same ability. Some families don`t have a 'private intimacy' about it.

To each their own.