Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 PM

Vanille, I read the whole thing and found it fascinating. I agree, his message are quite bizarre. Many otherwise intelligent geeks are not great with either written word or communication in general. That feels a little beyond that though. I admire you for continuing ~ I wouldn't have.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
Vanille, I read the whole thing and found it fascinating. I agree, his message are quite bizarre. Many otherwise intelligent geeks are not great with either written word or communication in general. That feels a little beyond that though. I admire you for continuing ~ I wouldn't have.
Ain't that the truth. >.< Put me in front of a computer or musical instrument, I'll do some brilliant things. But make me write or throw me into a social situation, I feel so out of place.

I find it odd that a lot of the females are mentioning that they seem to have to do all the work to find people. I find it to be the opposite for me. In fact, I often come across profiles where their messages are so full, I can't even send one myself. I think the majority of females have an easy time finding people wanting to talk with them. Even if most of them are just terrible. =P
=]
Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
I received a message about a week ago that opened with this:

"Poly Pagan & Weird? SIGN ME UP! ...."
I'm going to use that (citing whatever adjectives apply to the recipient of such cleverness).
Yay! I just used it! Only I substituted Artsy and Agnostic for Pagan and Weird. Hey, good stuff should be recycled.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM

Yesterday I got this very generic message from someone, not on OKC but at PMM:
"Looks like we would play well while exploring the energies and synergies. Looking forward to the possibilities. [his name & phone number]"
That was it. No mention of anything in my profile. Looks like we'd play well? I assume he is using the word "play" to mean sex. My profile very specifically states I am not looking for casual sex. Explore energies and synergies? Yeeecccchhhh! And then he actually includes his phone number as if I would run right to my phone and call him up! I wrote back: "What does that mean? Is that your standard form letter you send to everyone?" His reply:
"No form. Looked like we had some compatibility. Seeking to find out if there was some interest in seeing if there was real alignment or not. Was there something off putting?"
Man, he is full of cliches, but never indicates that he even read any of my profile, such as why he thinks we'd be compatible, which bugs me to no end. I wrote back why that was indeed off-putting and then I blocked him.

Addendum: The "poly, artsy, and agnostic" guy I mentioned having contacted (in my previous post) wrote back! He thinks my gray hair is sexy and likes curvy plus-sized women! He's not into casual sex and is looking for friendships first. And he's totally hawt, from what his pictures reveal. Hopefully there will be more to tell, eventually...

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 01-02-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Addendum: The "poly, artsy, and agnostic" guy I mentioned having contacted (in my previous post) wrote back! He thinks my gray hair is sexy and likes curvy plus-sized women! He's not into casual sex and is looking for friendships first. And he's totally hawt, from what his pictures reveal. Hopefully there will be more to tell, eventually...
Is he in your city?
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Is he in your city?
No, not exactly, but he's very close by, and is in the city frequently. I have hopes for this one!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM

*fairy dust luck sprinkles*
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

miss pixi, 37
Old 01-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Just got this one

Quote:
hi im 24m looking for an older bi woman to strapon me. i have done this before
No profile, no pic. What a moron.

miss pixi, 37
Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Hey there Sabariel

I read your profile and found it interesting. I'm hoping to find another four or five women just like yourself to form a family together with. I think from your description of yourself, that would be an environment you would thrive in. I'd like to by you a coffee or soda sometime. When are you usually free for meeting people?
Apparently "polyamorous" actually means I want to belong to a harem...

I replied:

Quote:
Wow, really?

Ok, first. "My self-summary should be filled in with time." How about you start with that and then start messaging random women who happen to be poly, once we have the vaguest idea who you are, what your interests are (aside from houses full of vagina), and whether you're a real person with real interests and thoughts and feelings, or just some creepy rapist guy.

Second. So you get your own personal harem... What's in it for me? I assume you would expect me to stop dating the other people I'm currently seeing in order to join your household?

Third. Suppose I joined your "family" and then you meet a new woman and you'd like her to join, but when we meet, I absolutely hate her. Do you just drop her? Or do you expect me to suck it up and get over it, and move her in despite the tensions and anxiety that will create in the "family."

Lastly, how do you have any clue what kind of environment I would "thrive" in? Nothing in my profile implied that I'm seeking a poly household or even so much as a roommate, never mind a house full of estrogen and probably babies too. Would you expect me to make babies? I don't particularly like babies, and I'm pretty sure I would be unable to live in a house full of babies and small children. Actually, scratch "pretty sure." I would go absolutely bat-shit crazy living in a house full of babies and small children. Possibly to the extent that the authorities would need to be involved.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 PM

His reply:

Quote:
Haha! "... houses full of vagina..." that was awesome!!!

And the "bat-shit" crazy comment was pure gold too... hey, you pick the girls you want in our "harem" ok. The baby thing is only when you feel the absolute need to reproduce right? No need to force that kind of thing.

And no dropping of girls right... this isn't survivor island where you vote off the most unpopular member of the cast or something. Said another way... don't you think it's sensible to expect some estrogen conflict in a poly lifestyle? I think that's just part of the lifestyle and nothing to be afraid of or worry about. It all works itself out.

I like your questions and you are VERY humorous. Sexy and smart is the way I'm going to describe you right now ... is that something you'll let me do for now? ;-)
Well, I am smart and sexy, so at least he got that part right I'm enjoying playing with this guy. I guess that makes me cruel and manipulative, but somehow I don't feel bad about that.

I responded:

Quote:
Well survivor is where you throw 12 strangers in together, and let them battle it out to decide who stays. If you were to throw 6 female strangers into a house, I think it would be far messier and more dramatic than any episode of reality tv. And you would be caught in the middle of it, and no matter what you did, you'd be "wrong" (with 6 women, you'd have absolutely no chance of ever being "right," somebody would always be mad at you).

But you're talking about building a family. And in any family that I'd ever want to be part of, I would expect a fair and equal say in who else is going to join the family. It's not as simple as "estrogen conflict." Some people just aren't compatible, especially for cohabiting. There are people I work with (as there are for anyone) with whom I don't get along. I tolerate them at work, I'm polite and courteous because I'm grown-up like that, but I would never join them for drinks or invite them to a dinner party, because I don't enjoy their company and I have no desire to become friends.

Just because two women are compatible with the same man does not mean those two women are compatible with each other.

I have to say, I find your entire proposition somewhat selfish and sexist. Do you expect all these women to be monogamous with you? Or would they be free to explore other relationships outside the family? The whole reason I'm poly is that I realized, years ago, that I could not be happy being restricted from exploring my desires. For me, polyfidelity is as limiting as monogamy.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 01-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Tags
communication, online dating