Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 03:46 AM

Default Like philosophy

Shit, how did I miss this thread before!? I been writing papers.

YES to human beings being at a turning point in evolution. I only have to look at my own life as a woman as opposed to the blink of an eye of 100 years ago to see the compounded miasma of technology and culture has accelerated our potential wisdom as a species. Potential, I say.

I have seen some parallels between the less prejudicial, less male dominated, less roman catholic ideals that are held by people today and, with the debate hot over what marriage really is, polyamory for me personally is the next step in MY evolution anyway.

Gosh, i like this forum.
-R

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Thank you, Rarechild, you said it well.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:20 PM

I agree. Thanks for your input! This is a topic that interests me a lot.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:57 PM

i think that the difference between the lizard-theory and the evolution of mind is the pure bulk of it. what the skeptics of the posted hypothesis argue is that if they post something about lizard peopel then there is evidence that humans believe this. while true, i would have to point out the sheer VOLUME of things that support the hypothesis.

it is argued that a few links to movies in the works are hardly evidence to support this theory. but i argue this :would those movies have gotten backing ten years ago? twenty? thirty? although they did not have movies like we do, would a book on these topics a century ago have gotten published? two centuries ago?

it is theorized in the pagan community that the current age is comming to a close and that the following age shall have within it a large time of major chaotic shifts. shifts of power, shifts of thought, shifts of theology and philosophy... all of it. not dissimilar to what happened in europe after the fall of the roman empire.

just my thoughts.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:47 PM

...and change can come quickly
Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Custodian

Quote:
it is argued that a few links to movies in the works are hardly evidence to support this theory. but i argue this :would those movies have gotten backing ten years ago? twenty? thirty? although they did not have movies like we do,
There were/are movies like that, and they DID get "backing". They are called "science fiction". And there was only ONE link to a movie mentioned in this thread. The other two were to a forum and to someone's blog, which do not require "backing", only an internet connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageTheif View Post
it is theorized in the pagan community that the current age is comming to a close and that the following age shall have within it a large time of major chaotic shifts. shifts of power, shifts of thought, shifts of theology and philosophy... all of it. not dissimilar to what happened in europe after the fall of the roman empire.
Yea yea. The whole "Age of Aquarius" thing.

I might point out that after the Roman Empire fell, there was a period known as the "Dark Ages", where information, goods, and services became localized and scarce. This lasted for a good 400 years or more.

The end result was widespread Christianity, and domination by the Catholic Corporation in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolypoly View Post
...and change can come quickly
I can believe that things can quickly change for the worse before they get better.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 11-10-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 AM

I think we are in an interesting in human devopment. We have widespread knowledge through the Internet. We have a strong lessing of power in fundamentalist religions. And we have a strong advance of science and technology.

I think "Intelligent Design" will be a better model to understand the future of humanity rather than evolution. (At least I hope.) Evolution has gotten us here, but we are changing faster than evolution works. We will start modifying our genetics - get rid of genetic diseases and gradually accept enchancements. We will become more cybornetic as we accept nanomachines and cell phones integrated into our bodies. We will change our base biological behavior. Why use evolution's solution when we can decide for ourselves what we should feel. Maybe lower our aggression? Maybe increase our desires?

Now I see this happening over hundreds of years. I can also see many ways this could all fail and we enter another dark age. However, I have a lot of optimism that we can keep advancing.

For me, polyamory is part of this change. One step on the path.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 AM

i think, ygirl, that you are getting caught up in the nit-picky details of it. fact is that many things considered taboo are no longer (homosexuality, polyamory), whereas many things often ignored (if not condoned) are now condemed for the better (child labor, slavery, pedophilia)

all the details you and rolypoly mentioned as proofs are just that; details. the overall is no different, and i think supports what rolypoly originally posted
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Custodian

I wasn't trying to "prove" ANYthing.

Details are important. No good can come by ignoring details.

We're talking about a "global transformation", and that would include China, Africa, etc. where the population are still struggling with things like basic hygiene, human rights, and having enough to eat.

We really do need to think first of the LOWEST common denominator before cavalierly tossing around expressions like "global transformation". The fact of a small segment of the population having access to the latest technologies does not a "global transformation" make. Declaring such a thing to be so does not in fact make it so.

I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry and all that, but sorry, I can't jump on this "cusp of human evolution" bandwagon just quite yet.

Besides, I never could stand the smell of Patchouli.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 11-11-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post

We really do need to think first of the LOWEST common denominator before cavalierly tossing around expressions like "global transformation". The fact of a small segment of the population having access to the latest technologies does not a "global transformation" make. Declaring such a thing to be so does not in fact make it so.

I'm with you Ygirl. I've been to Chine, Japan, Thailand, the Phillipines, Korea, and many countries in the Middle East and cities in the US. These broad statements of world shift do not come from a place of walking the streets of these places. If there's any major shift it's mostly internal to modern western civilization and primarily in small groups or online where many people seem to live thier lives....which makes me look in the mirror....hmmm.

Now those reptilians..they're fucking real!

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over