Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 AM

Default Soundproofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Soundproofing rooms is a science that, when done correctly, really does work.
This came up in another thread and I thought I'd make it its own thread since I have this issue (but unrelated to poly) in that my bedroom is directly above my grown daughter's room.

Neither of us want to hear the other getting intimate, but apparently its much louder on her end than it is on mine (sound travels downstream?)

At any rate - does anyone have any soundproofing ideas for a house with no ducting, without necessarily ripping apart the ceiling?

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM

There could be a long list of reason she hears more in her room...start with the her floor and supporting structure sit on a foundation and your room/floor sit on the wall structure.. ...walls you both share, etc, etc...

1) what is she hearing ....voices ...talk level or screaming? Furniture noises?

2) what type of structure is it? Age

3) What type of floors do you have ..tile /carpet hardwood.

4) What type of doors ...hollow core, etc.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 PM

Egg cartons? There's probably a half baked youtube video by a conspiracy theorist out there that says so.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:42 PM

You can't properly soundproof without taking down all the walls. =P But some acoustic foam might help you out a little. But it's more for specific frequencies when you get into that kinda thing, and all about the right place to put them. =P Good luck with that.
=]
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM

MBG, I think you should google it. There are tons of websites about soundproofing, some very technical. I was looking into it because I live in a small apartment and live next to and below very noisy neighbors. The best thing to do is get a professional to look at your space and make recommendations. It doesn't always necessitate ripping up floorboards, but from what I recall, wood is a big conductor of sound. Sometimes sound will still travel along beams even when soundproofing is applied to walls. And there needs to be air space in between and sound baffling material used. You may want to add specially made ceiling tiles to her room and make sure you have carpet in yours. Google around and you will find lots of info on it.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM

My friend just put sound proofing in her floor boards to cut down the sound between her and her tenant in an upstairs downstairs situation. It was basically a wire that attached from one end of the supporting beams to another. The sound travels along the wire and defuses it. Works like a charm although I am not sure of the science behind it.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM

cindie,

You may not believe this but I'm the guy people call to correct these type of problems. In highrise building steel studs and concrete (fire codes) are the the enemy for sound transmission not wood. Air gaps do nothing to slow down sound...they provide a break from one surface or material to another. Frequency and the decibels of the problem sound or sounds is the starting points. A sub woofer from a home theater is way different from voices or a barking Shih Tzu and would be treated differently.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
cindie,

You may not believe this but I'm the guy people call to correct these type of problems. In highrise building steel studs and concrete (fire codes) are the the enemy for sound transmission not wood. Air gaps do nothing to slow down sound...they provide a break from one surface or material to another. Frequency and the decibels of the problem sound or sounds is the starting points. A sub woofer from a home theater is way different from voices or a barking Shih Tzu and would be treated differently.
So, someone would have to invite you over and recreate the noise and have you listen to determine how to fix them? I think I would just benefit from some duct tape -- over my neighbor's big fucking mouth.

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
So, someone would have to invite you over and recreate the noise and have you listen to determine how to fix them? I think I would just benefit from some duct tape -- over my neighbor's big fucking mouth.
This sounds extremely snarky. The answer would be, YES! You take your car to get fixed and the mechanic has to "re-create" the problem or they can't fix it (hense why intermittent issues really suck). Same goes for any service person. You tell them the problem, they investigate, do tests and come up with solution.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
This sounds extremely snarky. The answer would be, YES! You take your car to get fixed and the mechanic has to "re-create" the problem or they can't fix it (hense why intermittent issues really suck). Same goes for any service person. You tell them the problem, they investigate, do tests and come up with solution.
Snarky? Why? I was injecting some humor, I thought. The OP started this thread regarding sex sounds. So, I was imagining someone calling a pro and saying, "hang on, you stay there and listen," while they run into the next room and fuck someone so the pro can hear it.

Never owned a car so thanks for enlightening me on what a mechanic does. Geez, is everyone cranky today?

Last edited by nycindie; 11-22-2011 at 10:22 PM.