Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
For me, sexual attraction is a subset of emotional attraction, which is a subset of... friendly attraction? To put it another way, I'm only romantically attracted to people with whom I can be friends, and I'm only sexually attracted to people with whom I can be romantically involved.
I'm exactly the same way, if you define "sexual attraction" as "desire to have sex with someone". When I said in my last post that I can feel sexual attraction at the early stage, I meant "wow, he's so cute", not "I can't wait to see him naked".
Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I rarely, if ever, feel sexually attracted to anyone I don't know.

I cannot recall a single instance where I have seen an attractive person and thought about having sex with them. Seriously, not even once.
This makes me feel better! I never understood when people would see some one and then immediately fantasize about them sexually or even movie stars. I've never felt comfortable/wanted to fantasize about a movie star, since I don't know them. Finally I realized that there are just lots of ways attraction plays out and neither scenario is wrong, just different.

Sometimes, although rarely, I fantasize about some one I don't know terribly well. Like #SexyProfessor I'll probably mention him in a blog soon. He's one of my professors this semester and I cannot stop fantasizing about/feeling incredibly sexually drawn to him. This is kind of a new experience for me. Definitely fun though

Quote:
I'm exactly the same way, if you define "sexual attraction" as "desire to have sex with someone".
Yeah, sorry I didn't clarify that. Being drawn to some one sexually, perhaps might be a better way to phrase it.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:44 AM

I'm a man, but, it seems, I'm not a typical man. I'm very comfortable with my emotions. In general, in serious relationships, I have to be attracted to a woman's personality. If that isn't there, I don't get as much out of the sex part. And sometimes I'm not attracted to her at all sexually.

However there are times when I just want a spontaneous adventure, not a serious relationship, and her personality doesn't matter. So the attraction would be mainly physical.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eponine View Post
I'm exactly the same way, if you define "sexual attraction" as "desire to have sex with someone". When I said in my last post that I can feel sexual attraction at the early stage, I meant "wow, he's so cute", not "I can't wait to see him naked".
Clarification noted. I would probably think of "wow he's cute" as "physical attraction"... yeah yeah, semantics... I love semantics :>

So here's what these terms mean to me, and not necessarily proposing them as a generality, just what I mean when I say them:
Physical attraction: "he's cute!" or "wow I love her dreadlocks!"
Sexual attraction: "I want to have sexual relations with that girl"
Emotional attraction: "I can imagine having a romantic relationship with this person"

With regards to friendship, I don't know if I feel any type of "attraction" per se... I get along with almost everyone I know, and while I'm closer to some people than others, I usually refer to most people as "friends" to some extent. Or else I refer to them by relationship: "Some guy in my class" "One of the people in my student group" "This lady from yoga" etc...

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 11-16-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
I can also be deeply emotionally attracted to people, though I don't open up easily, so my relationships generally develop slowly. It can take years before I open up to a co-worker.

I watch people. I watch their actions, reactions, communication style. I examine what makes them smile, laugh, touch. I measure their trustworthiness. From this process, all my relationships develop.
^^ These parts are the same for me. I would add in that I need to respect the person. If I lose respect for them, my libido recoils as well.

Though I can say I am 50/50 on sexual vs. emotional attraction. I love a pretty face, and can be a sucker for one. Of course, in this manner, it`s rare that a long-lasting love develops. Can be fun none-the-less

Emotionally, I tend to fall in love with friends. Usually a puppy-love and if it stands the test of time, then it deepens from experiences.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
@RP - I'm curious to know more about having a non-sexual boyfriend. Without sounding silly, how does that work? I'd like to know more about relationships of that kind. It sounds like something I might be interested in doing some day if the situation were right.
I decided to not have a sexual relationship with him after a long slew of casual relationships that were brief and included sex or at least a lot of sexual innuendos and over sexualized discussion and flirting. I was sick of it. I felt cheap, dirty, used and that I was worthless in any other way than sexually. I didn't believe for one second that a man would want me for any other reason than to fuck me. I thought I would lose him because I was not available to have sex with. It turned out that he stuck around for three years now.

Mono was struggling with me creating a sexual relationship with him so it was convenient to say no. At the time I used Mono's fear and monogamous nature as a stepping stone to the non-sexual relationship we have now. I was addicted to the attitude/lifestyle/persona (whatever one wants to call it) and Mono helped pull me back from that kicking and screaming. I am much happier now for it. It wasn't working for me the way it was set up. I wasn't empowered as some women seem to be from being a "slut." I just felt like a "slut" in the bad sense.

I would be ready to move on from non-sexual now. We shall see where that goes if anywhere.... its complicated.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
@RP - I'm curious to know more about having a non-sexual boyfriend. Without sounding silly, how does that work? I'd like to know more about relationships of that kind. It sounds like something I might be interested in doing some day if the situation were right.
I also have a friend in this situation. One of her girlfriends is asexual. i.e. nonexistent sex-drive. They cuddle, they have an emotionally intimate relationship, conversation, etc. Just no sexual relations. I haven't pried and she didn't mention whether that includes kissing and if so, to what extent. I'm personally not big into kissing-sessions, so I don't really see kisses as "sexual" for me. More like hugs, only with lips :P

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Tags
attraction, sexual interest