Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Spiritual or Scientific?
Male, and I believe in endless love (Spiritual) 1 5.00%
Female, and I believe in boundless love (Spiritual) 6 30.00%
Male, and it all makes sense (Scientific) 10 50.00%
Female, just fuck me already, idiot! (Scientific) 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZed View Post
No, it is because your "categories" are stupid.
this.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl View Post
So the researchers re-designed the experiment.... The idea behind this approach, is that when a person's brain is preoccupied with another mental task, it will interfere with other thought processes like considering social norms or drawing inferences, and the "truth" will come out.
Seems a little more complicated, but I guess it was a cheaper alternative to getting everybody drunk.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 PM

I agree that this poly is confusing and somewhat useless. Try reading some books on statistics and doing survey research. If you don't have good questions, your data will be meaningless.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalExile View Post
Seems a little more complicated, but I guess it was a cheaper alternative to getting everybody drunk.
What? Nobody stocks sodium pentathol any more?

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openman View Post
The questions are silly, frankly. The cultural assumption that science and spirituality are separate realms has been breaking down for the last decade or two.
This is interesting. Are you referring to any of the Copenhagen multidimensional theories of a transferrable consciousness or perhaps to the sort-of-spiritual aspects of Singularitarianism?

I assumed the survey was asking me if I was more scientifically-minded or spiritually-minded.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruza View Post
I assumed the survey was asking me if I was more scientifically-minded or spiritually-minded.
If it was, I think I could happily answer that question. But, as a female, I have two options:

I can say that I "believe in boundless love" (whatever that means). I can't answer that I do, because... what the hell is boundless love and why would I "believe" in it?

Or I can say that I am scientific, and that as a corollary to that, I am impatient to be fucked and think my partners are idiots. I can't honestly answer that this is true, either.

I assume that in this survey, the scientifically-minded females don't boundlessly love their idiot sex partners? But this is not clear.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 PM

Oh, and I forgot to point out that the choice is even harder for males!

For the man answering this survey, he must endlessly love all of his partners to count as a spiritually-minded partner. Endlessly. If he has ever fallen out of love, for instance, he is obviously not spiritual in this survey.

So he must be scientific! This also means that "it all makes sense" to him. By "it all", we're not informed whether that means all of polyamory makes sense, or everything in the entire world makes sense.

I am rather shocked that any man answered that they were scientific. Since science thrives on experimentation and the unknown, it is very unlikely that a truly scientifically-minded man would claim that everything makes sense to him. But miraculously, this survey has managed to find nine men who know everything and never experience doubt or confusion.

Tags
opinion, research