Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 AM

It is easy enough to feel constantly under attack.
I have to be careful not to mention the lovely evening Shannon and I shared with Jamie, Morgan and Sascha. It was a great evening, a joy I wish to share with others, but imparting such information to some people is frowned upon, and may even result in lost friendships. At the very least - what did you do on the weekend is a question filled with potential "danger", in case I should accidentally mention to the wrong work colleague just what I did.
I have to be careful not to mention the tentative relationship Shannon is pursuing with Sascha to certain people. And that hurts me, because I am so excited.

The "Im not changing" may not be directed to family, but rather to others. In my case, this would be a couple of dear friends I have had since primary school, who are wonderfully supportive and kind - but simply would NOT cope with the whole poly thing.

Although, she is out, which is more than what I can say for Shannon and I! (Many of our friends have come out lately, we have an advantage of having no family living nearby, so we haven't had to explain our at times odd living relationships, as our family is not likely to show up unannounced. We shall possibly come out in our own time, once we are working in different industries, where we won't potentially lose our jobs).
Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSara View Post
Also... if this is a new thing for her... she might still be defining what it means to her . . . Sometimes it's hard to explain yourself when you are still learning about yourself.
We don't know that it is new. The OP says that her sis did start to distance herself from family several years ago. She only recently came out, but the defensiveness could be related to having been in the closet for years.

So, FeyLady, have you spoken to her yet?

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 PM

Default Curious

Wondering how this turned out, hope all went well!

Cuddling is good for your soul.

Tags
coming out to family, understanding