Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 PM

My husband and I have one username because we do everything together, so he is gonna read every post I make and visa versa. He is unlikely to post anything simply because he will leave that to me but should he do so, I will make sure he has stated it is him who is posting so as not to confuse.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 AM

This topic has come up before and as a mod it is better for us if one account belongs to one person. If we have infractions to give out then it is better to do so for one person rather than for two when one of the two is not to blame. We have seen many couples fight on here and it is less confusing when there are two accounts. We have had couples share accounts that they fight on and its just a nightmare... I know, you guys would never fight

I respectfully ask that people do not create accounts together.... other sites forbid it on the grounds that it makes things difficult for the mods... if you insist then please at least say who is talking.

As a long time poster on here I am less likely to engage with two people on one account. It makes me uneasy that I don't know who I am talking to. I would be less likely to choose to be friends with people who share an account because I can't guarantee who I am talking too. I would be less likely to support them, give them advice or acknowledge them because I find it creepy and co-dependent. Poly to me is about individuals not creating the borg. That's just me though.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Poly to me is about individuals not creating the borg.
Resistance is futile...use more LUBE!!!

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
Resistance is futile...use more LUBE!!!
You will be assimilated and treated like a puppy dog... with lube.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
You will be assimilated and treated like a puppy dog... with lube.
Sounds like you're reading too many fortune cookies again.

Oh, and another thing....I'm not your sub.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
Oh, and another thing....I'm not your sub.
I'm not talking about you! I'm talking about unicorns...
Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about you! I'm talking about unicorns...
Where are you keeping these lubed up unicorns of yours?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
This topic has come up before and as a mod it is better for us if one account belongs to one person. If we have infractions to give out then it is better to do so for one person rather than for two when one of the two is not to blame. We have seen many couples fight on here and it is less confusing when there are two accounts. We have had couples share accounts that they fight on and its just a nightmare... I know, you guys would never fight

I respectfully ask that people do not create accounts together.... other sites forbid it on the grounds that it makes things difficult for the mods... if you insist then please at least say who is talking.

As a long time poster on here I am less likely to engage with two people on one account. It makes me uneasy that I don't know who I am talking to. I would be less likely to choose to be friends with people who share an account because I can't guarantee who I am talking too. I would be less likely to support them, give them advice or acknowledge them because I find it creepy and co-dependent. Poly to me is about individuals not creating the borg. That's just me though.
Agree!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
If we have infractions to give out then it is better to do so for one person rather than for two when one of the two is not to blame.
Yeah, well, everybody using the account is responsible for its use. If one person wants rewarded with a ban for trolling or flaming or something, all of them are responsible. They all get to share the ban.

Quote:
For those interested, it's now suggested in the guidelines to avoid sharing accounts. We are also considering whether we want to require separate accounts.

Quote:
As a long time poster on here I am less likely to engage with two people on one account. It makes me uneasy that I don't know who I am talking to. I would be less likely to choose to be friends with people who share an account because I can't guarantee who I am talking too. I would be less likely to support them, give them advice or acknowledge them because I find it creepy and co-dependent.)
I suspect there are many who share these sentiments.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:56 AM

I think requiring it could be a little touchy, but I'm not opposed to it.

I see nothing objectionable with a couple creating an account together, always sitting at the computer together when they use it, and always speaking in the first person plural. The codependency of such a relationship is another issue, but frankly none of my business.

However, I think it would be good to rule that if people are going to write any posts in the first person singular, then they must create their own account. It's up to them if they share the password, only use one account for following threads, and then just hop onto the other account to post a reply as the other partner.

It comes down to this: using the same account may be easier for the two people, but it makes it harder for everyone else. It presents a roadblock to effective communication. It wastes our time trying to figure out who's talking instead of focusing on a response. In the extreme, it can lead to people getting fed up and just ignoring these users rather than trying to help them.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Tags
forum accounts, two users one account, unicorn, unicorn hunting, unicorns