Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 07:38 PM

I'm willing to give someone a second chance if they have the potential to change their bad habits. If they refuse to change, there is no second chance.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 PM

I have given second and third chances to people. Actually, my ex girlfriend is looking for another chance. Or at least is showing signs of gearing up for another chance. I have been down that road many times. Many times I have flown across country even... I'm done now. It will be interesting to see what happens when I say no. I have a sense of humour about it all now actually. I am hoping she does too. After so many chances where I got hurt, got angry, got confused, got sad, got used, got the run around.... what else can I do but laugh. This woman comes into my life over and over again. There are a few people who I play out the same stories with... each time it changes slightly.

My deal breakers usually all come down to "I don't like who I am when I'm with you." The times I have given second and third chances are when I see that the person is willing to work on things with me. If they are engaged in that process I find it hard to deny them that... or myself. There have been times when I am just tired of it or it just falls back to the same old cycle again regardless. Sometimes I find its best just to leave it alone and see what time does... or leave it for good. Some stuff just needs to be sorted out elsewhere as it isn't working to sort it out with the person.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 AM

I have given second chances to two people in my life.

The first, a girl I was crazy in love, head over heals for, broke up with me because she was interested in another girl. When it didn't work out with her, she came back to me. I, ignorantly, thought she really wanted to make things work with me so I took her back. Things went on like that until I was on the fourth chance and I couldn't take it anymore.

The second time was my most recent ex-girlfriend. (Recent being over 3 years ago. lol) She cheated on me with a girl who is now my best friend, funny enough. Up to that point I had told myself that if anyone cheated on me it would be a deal breaker. But, I loved her. So when she asked for a second chance I gave it to her. We broke up less than a month later because I found out she was still cheating, this time with multiple people.

Despite my bad experiences, I would still give someone a second chance. It's just not in me to not try to make things work. I also feel that every relationship is a learning experience. So even though things ended badly in both cases, I don't regret the decisions I made because I learned a lot of things from both.

Tags
chances, relationships, second chance, skeptical