Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Spiritual or Scientific?
Male, and I believe in endless love (Spiritual) 1 5.00%
Female, and I believe in boundless love (Spiritual) 6 30.00%
Male, and it all makes sense (Scientific) 10 50.00%
Female, just fuck me already, idiot! (Scientific) 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 AM

Default Poll: If polyamorous, are you spiritual or scientific?

Just doing some self-discovery and some research. This is a question for EVERYONE to whom polyamory is intuitive, practitioners or philosophers.

I believe that people drift to what feels most natural to them. But I also believe that including in-between poll options would be silly, because those votes would cancel themselves out.

I don't believe that gender is black-and-white, easily defined. But I do believe in keeping things simple. This is the only reason for why there are no options for the transgendered, asexual, etc.

If you don't feel comfortable voting without more details, ask away!

I have a feeling about the direction the answers will take, but the only way to test this theory is with a poll.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 AM

Can you explain better what it is you're looking for with this poll? Are you trying to find out if people here view poly as an either or thing? Sex vs. love? How are you defining "endless love" and "boundless love" (and how do you see those two things as different from each other?) for "Spiritual," and what is the "all of it" that makes sense to the "Scientific" male? And what do you mean by "polyamory is intuitive?" This is confusing. Neither the poll nor your post make any sense to me, I'm sorry to say.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 11-04-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 AM

nycindie,

I'm going to guess you're a little bit empathetic to both sides. I can send you a private message if you'd like, letting you know what my suspicions are. I'm only slightly concerned that by posting here what I'm trying to get at will influence the answer of people.

It's not a perfect process anyway, but closer is still better than far away.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 AM

Don't categorize me as anything. I'm not empathetic to either side -- I don't understand what these sides are! I have no clue what you mean by scientific vs. spiritual and how that relates to poly... in what? Attitude? Approach? Philosophy? How do you define "spiritual" and "scientific" in the first place? Do you want to know what we think polyamory is? Are you seeing poly as an orientation or a structure for relationships? Really, this poll and your wording are both about as clear as mud to me, so I can't answer. Sorry.

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 11-04-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:44 AM

I'm female, but I don't think love is boundless, nor is my way of poly a "just fuck me already" way. It's not about the sex at all to me. *shrugs*

I dunno where I fall on your poll because although I am female the "it all makes sense" male option is what suits me best.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:47 AM

This poll is very silly. Whether someone is science-positive or not has nothing to do with how much sex they want to have, for example, or whether they fall in love easily or not.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:04 AM

nycindie, (female)

Your roar has been duly noted. I think you're fluid in the sense that you can discuss things logically, and feel them in a more spiritual sense (if you have to choose either of the two words to describe).

By the way, I love your signature: If you expect your relationships to bring you happiness, you will be disappointed. Bring your own happiness to your relationships and everyone will thrive.

If I had to paraphrase, I'd say "Love doesn't give happiness, but the happy give love."

SilentPain, (female)

I'm making no this-is-how-it-is remarks. But for my own records, I'm putting you more in the spiritual category. Thank you for your contribution.

MichelleZed, (female? just double-checking. Michelle sounds female to me)

Bold statement, but only a scientific approach would be able to prove or disprove that. I'm going to note that you're leaning towards the scientific. Again, purely for my own purposes. Don't mind me.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 AM

Oh, I wasn't roaring. I was just asking for clarification. I suspect tomorrow you will have some more comments and questions. I hope the poll gives you what you want.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:10 AM

Oh, but it already has.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM

The questions are silly, frankly. The cultural assumption that science and spirituality are separate realms has been breaking down for the last decade or two. Time and again, people have been shown to be far more complex than simply falling into such an either/or category---we do not fit easily into mass media friendly categories. The kind of questions in this poll look like something that should be on a TV entertainment show. Maybe the results will be fun to look at, but from the perspective of understanding anything about the poly community or humans, nothing important (apart from you satisfying a curiosity) will be learned.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, it's just how I feel.

Tags
opinion, research