Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 05:58 PM

I made baked quince with cloves, port wine, honey and lemon juice last night for my parents and thought of Wales. My grandmother had a quince bush. I wish I could find one for my own garden. I love quince jelly. Its such a treat! Thankfully I live in a climate that is similar to Wales so I could get one.... I just haven't found one yet.

Mono makes a great cup of tea... as does PN, tea is not the same as my youth now in Britain me thinks. When I visit there I get a mug of tea... not like back in the day with a tea pot and a cup and saucer. Mono goes all out every evening during the work week at 3.30pm (tea time). He makes a tray with a tea towel and a tea jug of milk with two cups and saucers... even the milk we get is in a bottle like the ones that were delivered to my grandmothers house. He takes the bags out just at the right time too. *joy*

I'm turning into my mother

Its funny because I feel so at home there my body aches to be there... yet when I lived there I missed the great Canadian wild. Having grown up in a small town with a Native population bigger than the white one I spent much time around hunting, fishing, pow wows... this land is my home, but Britain is my blood. One can't help their genes I think. Our family goes back much to far all over that island for that to not have some kind of draw...

back to the thread... ya, not sure where we are going here, but... carry on
Old 10-23-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I made baked quince with cloves, port wine, honey and lemon juice last night for my parents and thought of Wales.
That doesn't sound like Wales at all. Cheese on toast is their national dish. That describes the Welsh all over. ^_^

The only places that you'll ever really get a cup and saucer with a scone on the side now, has to be old tea shops in the middle of nowhere. They have a lot of them down Devon and Cornwall too. Besides, coffee is much better. =P

Maybe we're not leaving track really. This could perhaps be a thread for talking about the UK. =D Tea and scones for everyone! [note: bring your own tea and scones].
=]
Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
That doesn't sound like Wales at all. Cheese on toast is their national dish. That describes the Welsh all over. ^_^
the recipe isn't Welsh no. The quince? No idea. Maybe it was just my Nana?

For the record- melted English Cheddar, Welsh ale, bit of Keens powdered mustard; on toast. Yum!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
For the record- melted English Cheddar, Welsh ale, bit of Keens powdered mustard; on toast. Yum!
Oh, why did I click on this thread? Now I'm hungry!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
the recipe isn't Welsh no. The quince? No idea. Maybe it was just my Nana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Oh, why did I click on this thread? Now I'm hungry!
That does sound delicious! Never seen powdered mustard, but I'm sure you could substitute for some regular English mustard. =]
=]
Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
That does sound delicious! Never seen powdered mustard, but I'm sure you could substitute for some regular English mustard. =]
Its the closest thing we have to English mustard.... Apparently.. according to my mum. Its a good way to use up beer that got opened the night before and didn't get drank! Yum,,,, I think I will make cheese toast now.

Of course then there is Marmite. I will add marmite to the cheese toast. Nothing divides the world like the like/dislike debate around marmite. *poke* Its like the mono vs. poly debate! Ha! not really

Last edited by redpepper; 10-31-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Of course then there is Marmite. I will add marmite to the cheese toast. Nothing divides the world like the like/dislike debate around marmite. *poke* Its like the mono vs. poly debate! Ha! not really
Heh! At least there is debate about mono vs. poly. There's no debate about Marmite vs. no Marmite -- just love or hate
Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Its the closest thing we have to English mustard.... Apparently.. according to my mum. Its a good way to use up beer that got opened the night before and didn't get drank! Yum,,,, I think I will make cheese toast now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderMind View Post
Heh! At least there is debate about mono vs. poly. There's no debate about Marmite vs. no Marmite -- just love or hate
I disagree, I think Marmite is just ok... =P You don't just love or hate anything. There will always be someone who doesn't mind either way. I haven't had it since I was a kid though. Might have to pick some up again at some point.

and redpepper, as far as I know, English mustard is just a style of mustard. I'm sure you can find some in a shop somewhere. Probably not the original Colman's though. Pure English, English mustard. =P Or you could even try make your own?
=]

Last edited by redpepper; 10-31-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
and redpepper, as far as I know, English mustard is just a style of mustard. I'm sure you can find some in a shop somewhere. Probably not the original Colman's though. Pure English, English mustard. =P Or you could even try make your own?
Yes, I can get it in a few shops around the city I live in now, but when I was growing up in Northern Canada in a small town with a population of two Brit's (my parents) there was only Keen's and they decided it was the closest they could get. It actually tastes quite different to Colman's, but they are so used to it now, and as a result so am I, that this is what we use.

I would give my right arm for a proper curry and chips some nights coming home from the bar. Just sayin'. We have a Montreal poutine shop down the street from us though and that works just fine.

I can't wait to bring my family over to visit Britain in a few years when LB is about 11-12 and feed them curry and chips... amongst other things. We have been saving so we can all go. We will have some rounds to do by then as I have met some amazing poly people on line that I would LOVE to meet in person... who knows, maybe some of you will visit us? That way we can compare poly notes in person!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, I can get it in a few shops around the city I live in now, but when I was growing up in Northern Canada in a small town with a population of two Brit's (my parents) there was only Keen's and they decided it was the closest they could get. It actually tastes quite different to Colman's, but they are so used to it now, and as a result so am I, that this is what we use.

I would give my right arm for a proper curry and chips some nights coming home from the bar. Just sayin'. We have a Montreal poutine shop down the street from us though and that works just fine.

I can't wait to bring my family over to visit Britain in a few years when LB is about 11-12 and feed them curry and chips... amongst other things. We have been saving so we can all go. We will have some rounds to do by then as I have met some amazing poly people on line that I would LOVE to meet in person... who knows, maybe some of you will visit us? That way we can compare poly notes in person!
Oooh curry and chips. Yum. I fancy that now. In fact, tomorrow, I might just have to have fish and chips with curry sauce. Ooooh! ^_^
If you're ever round near Leeds, I'd love to meet you and the family... and definitely I shall return the visit if ever I'm round your area of Canada. =] My mum and her partner are moving to Canada as soon as they can anyways. So that already gives me a reason to go there. Not sure where abouts they are going yet though. I think Alberta?
=]

Tags
uk corner