Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 04:43 PM

Post Hiya!

Hey,

I'm Morrigan and I'm poly for 8 years now. Even though ever since I started dating, I never quite understood why you can only love one person at a time. I'm Single right now, however, I do have a few lovers.
I moved country last year in order to take up my studies and as much as I enjoy them, I can't wait to move back.
I'm involved in a few online poly communities and since I've been reading the forum here too for quite some time, I finally decided to sign up
Old 10-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I'm Single right now, however, I do have a few lovers.
What do you mean by "single" then, if you have a few lovers? Do you just mean unmarried? Or that none of your lovers is more than casual? Maybe it means something different in Germany than it does in the states (are you German?). Tristan Taormino has a term for unpartnered poly people: solo poly. I think the word "solo" fits certain poly situations better than "single."

There's a thread for solo poly peeps here, where you can talk about and what you dream and hope for in your ideal poly situations. Feel free to contribute: Solo poly people - what's your ideal?

Welcome!

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
What do you mean by "single" then, if you have a few lovers? Do you just mean unmarried? Or that none of your lovers is more than casual? Tristan Taormino has a term for unpartnered poly people: solo poly. I think "solo" fits certain poly situations better than "single."
Very true, 'solo' fits a lot better indeed. There's more to my lovers than just casual, but I'm having a hard time putting a name on what we have.

Cheers for the link, I'll make sure to check it out!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 AM

If you have people you love in your life who are more than just friends, but actual intimate relationships [whether sex is involved or not doesn't make a difference], then you are not really single. =P

But welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy yourself here. =]
=]
Old 10-08-2011, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

I don't really consider myself single, however, the term does indeed mean something slightly different in the region where I live right now (as nycindie has suggested). Here, ppl referring to being single mean that they don't have a primary partner. Confusion complete =)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I don't really consider myself single, however, the term does indeed mean something slightly different in the region where I live right now (as nycindie has suggested). Here, ppl referring to being single mean that they don't have a primary partner. Confusion complete =)
In actual meaning and not to confuse regular English speakers, single means no partner at all. =P

In poly, I don't think it's ever good to have a "primary". But many still do and that's their choice.
=]