Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Default Resources for Quakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueRiver View Post
Nowadays my YM recognises five core Quaker Testimonies, of equal importance in our spritual lives. ...
When I see polyamory's focus on integrity and honesty and the keeping of committments made, I am sure these rest firmly on the foundation that my faith group calls Truth.
trueRiver, this was interesting to read. Along the same lines, there's an essay discussing polyamory in terms of the principles of the Unitarian Universalists. It's available here:
http://uupa.org/Literature/polyprinciples.html

There's a Yahoo Group you might find interesting.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QuakerSexuality/

Jasmine
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM

hi Jasmine,
thanks for the links; yes I can see strong overlaps between what the UUPA say in that webpage and my own ideas.

I did not know about the QuakerSexuality group, and it reminds me it is also perhaps worth mentioning there is also a Yahoo group specifically for poly quakers - tho there is not much activity there:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/polyquakers/

There are two Rivers here now: which one is this?

see
quaker poly experiences and poly: a quaker perspective

I hope other British Quakers who are poly (or wonder if they are) will contact me here, thanks, Friends.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 PM

I have become increasingly interested in joining my local Quaker meetings recently. The reason being that I can see how it will help me to achieve my aims in life. I feel polyamory promotes the same. For me, they are very interlinked. I certainly do not identify as Christian though, and wouldn't anticipate adopting the label of Quaker; I don't identify as anything really - I like to live by my own rules, which just happen to fit in with many religions & philosophies!

TrueRiver, I totally hear what you're saying about british women and hugs. Whilst I know women who don't fit this mold, I certainly have done for a long time. Bizarre really since I don't think any of my previous partners have ever found it an issue - it was more of a weird internal battle. It is a part of me that I am moving on from. It may be our cultural norm, but it feels a bit bonkers to me!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskies View Post
I certainly do not identify as Christian though, and wouldn't anticipate adopting the label of Quaker;
as you might know, in the liberal quaker meetings (including all British meetings) many Friends would not call themselves Christian. If you attend worship often enough to be known by name then Friends will officially call you an 'attender'.

Quote:
I don't identify as anything really - I like to live by my own rules
We'd say you are following 'the Inner Light', and welcome you for it.

There are two Rivers here now: which one is this?

see
quaker poly experiences and poly: a quaker perspective

I hope other British Quakers who are poly (or wonder if they are) will contact me here, thanks, Friends.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks trueRiver. I did know this, which is one of the reasons it appeals so much I think. Just need to actually go...I'm a fantastic procrastinator!

Tags
british, poly, polyaffectionate, polyquaker, quaker