Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
"I would imagine that the polyamorous lifestyle would be a tad easier to pull off with deeper pockets."

Definitely, in the sort of the scenario you described above where one man provides for multiple women who shop all day. But in most real-life scenarios where multiple polys live together, everyone provides for the solvency of the whole whether with jobs or with childcare (which is *expensive* if you have to pay an outside person to do it) and it seems to me like it'd actually be cheaper to maintain a household that way.
I'm not sure if when you mean 'deeper pockets' that the ladies wouldn't be working? Not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly.

My experience has been similar to what AnnabelMore is talking about. In my group of loves, we all work, and we all contribute monetarily to our activities, so everything is actually a lot more affordable. Say we have a dinner planned, we all purchase a piece of said dinner, so no one else has to shoulder all the expense. When we live together in the near future, we'll be able to afford something much larger and nicer than we would as individuals or couples because we'll all be contributing.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Shopping all day long is boring as hell.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 09-27-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Shopping all day long is boring as hell.
I agree!!!!! 100%
Old 09-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGirl View Post
There was a user here by the name of 'Happiestmanalive' . I think he could mentor you. He was ( I think) the only male here, who was in relationships, with a house full of women. He could explain the headaches and the hard-ons.

Good luck !
See the thing about HMA is that he only dates strippers, and THEY support HIM. That's the ticket.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
See the thing about HMA is that he only dates strippers, and THEY support HIM. That's the ticket.
I didn't realize that! No wonder there's always so much drama in his house!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
The thing is, i don't leave it to other people to determine who adds "value" to my life. I prefer to decide that for myself.
Me either! But I do delegate tasks, like, when I go to Mc Donalds and buy a Mc Double, pay to have my clothes washed or have volunteers run a website.

Quote:
And this bit about women " monitoring" each other for your benefit... Just too ridiculous for words.
No, they'd be monitoring me for their benefit. Monitoring me for my own benefit sounds ridiculous!

Quote:
So now that i know you're not joking i'll make sure i'm not either.
I'm sorry. Much of what I write is a joke and much is serious. I've gotten used to that being on the internet (because so much of it is a joke). I will, below, try to more seriously explain the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGirl View Post
There was a user here by the name of 'Happiestmanalive' . I think he could mentor you. He was ( I think) the only male here, who was in relationships, with a house full of women. He could explain the headaches and the hard-ons.

Good luck !
To be honest I've been the "happiest man alive" for a long time now, but I'm certain I could learn something from someone being the "happiest man alive" in that fashion! Here's a more serious explanation.

---

:| <--- Serious face.

So I'm in a monogamous relationship right now. And it's awesome for where I currently am in life. I need to be focused on the (many) projects and startups I'm working on. Although if I sit back and look out a few month/years and see myself being as successful as I'd like to be I might want a different situation.

I have no problem finding AWESOME people to be monogamous with, the problem is when you have like lets say 5 awesome people and you can only really have meaningful relationships with one of them. That sucks to me.

I'd rather construct a situation where I could have those 5 meaningful relationships in a way that "added value" (sorry about being a mathematical nerd about it) to everyone involved.

People's lives are constantly in flux. For example, a monogamous relationship is currently the best model for me and my goals. There may come another time in my life when I travel regularly (seminars and whatnot) and I'd like to enjoy the company of people I meet while traveling. Perhaps there would be a partner that traveled with me and I shared the experience with them.

THEN, there may come a time when I settle (in my house on a lake) and live like a monk when no one wants to be there and live like a... rockstar? when the timing and situation encourages 5 people to be there.

There are how many billion people in the world? I'm certain there would always be some spiritual bodies that would like to hang out at my place, do tai chi and play go, do art and play video games. SHIT! Do you guys know of a chick offering a similar situation to guys?! I'll fucking move! lol *clear throat* :|

I think the sex thing is what throws so many people off. The situation isn't about the sex. It's about community. If I had different energies about me dudes would be welcome too! It's just that, I'm not paying for a place on the lake and having a dude live there! lol Wait wait... serious face... :|

I'd probably be OK with dudes staying there too. As long as everything is kept drama free and I get to focus on "my work."

I'm saying 5 but, looking at the state of things in the world today, I wouldn't be surprised if I had to buy the houses next door so I could increase capacity. :|

[/seriousness]

Anyhow, it was just a dream for fun. I wouldn't even attempt something like that until my pockets are REALLY deep otherwise I don't think it would be worth the time/effort.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I didn't realize that! No wonder there's always so much drama in his house!
Yeah. F THAT! You're ESPECIALLY paying for it when you're not paying for it (whatever "it" is).
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Custodian

Dude, i'm glad you dont take yourself 100%seriously. I like to pick things apart just for the hell of it. Ordinarily, the things you've said would come across as troll-ish, but you seem to be able to rock this Alpha-male persona so more power to you.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltownkid View Post
SHIT! Do you guys know of a chick offering a similar situation to guys?! I'll fucking move! lol *clear throat* :|
No,..I personally don`t know anyone that masochistic.

Quote:
I think the sex thing is what throws so many people off. The situation isn't about the sex. It's about community. If I had different energies about me dudes would be welcome too! It's just that, I'm not paying for a place on the lake and having a dude live there! lol Wait wait... serious face... :|
No,..I don`t think it`s 'the sex'. Not everyone is a poly-purist. People like to fuck too.

Maybe the 'dudes' would be paying for the place too ? Maybe how to go about getting the dream-villa, is to start with three dudes. Now you got the bankroll needed.

Bring on da bitches ! Err, I mean wonderful feminine souls, who like to shop.

Quote:
Anyhow, it was just a dream for fun. I wouldn't even attempt something like that until my pockets are REALLY deep otherwise I don't think it would be worth the time/effort.

It`s been fun playing. Happy dreaming. As for deep pockets, see my former boy-band statement.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Dude, i'm glad you dont take yourself 100%seriously. I like to pick things apart just for the hell of it. Ordinarily, the things you've said would come across as troll-ish, but you seem to be able to rock this Alpha-male persona so more power to you.
My forum style is to be a little troll-ish. Hope that's OK. I do my best to spark debate and having the "trolling" "add value." Let me know if I ever cross any lines, I don't have a problem "throttling back."

I've actually never really looked into the historical situations behind harems and oriental "Concubines of Ancient China". That's going to make for some interesting research!

From the article on concubines:
Quote:
There’s a popular Chinese explanation why Chinese men need multiple women but women are expected to make do with just one man: ‘One teapot is usually accompanied by four cups. But have you ever seen one cup with four teapots?’
lol (Note: A sizable chunk of me is culturally Chinese/Taiwanese having spent my young adulthood there.)

Here's a nugget from my past to add to my perhaps some would see as "mixed up" world view. After being totally distressed about cheating on my wife (at the time) and having a couple girlfriends I asked my father how I should handle the situation (while briefly visiting the US). His response "Sometimes a guy needs 2 or 3 girlfriends, hell 5 or 6 even." lol That wasn't the advice I was looking for!

Tags
configurations, relationship, relationship dynamics, relationship structures