Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 AM

I definitely agree with Castalia. That was my immediate thought when I started reading this thread.
I'd probably have to say one or two different points in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series. Mainly when Oz leaves again after discovering Willow was with Tara. I think that would have been a wonderful poly relationship.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Reality Bites - Lanie, Troy, and Michael.

St. Elmo's Fire - Leslie, Alec, and Kevin.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 AM

Forces of Nature (Ben Affleck and Sandra Bullock).

Definitely The Notebook. It was crap that she had to choose between two people she both obviously loved.

The Kids are Alright sounds like a disappointing movie. I was going to rent it because got rave reviews. But it sounds narrow minded and full of unnecessary drama. The film industry better hurry up and pick up their game, and stop hashing out tired themes that no longer work at this new level of consciousness and communication.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castalia View Post
the first couple of x-men movies would have been much better with a poly relationship, wolverine, cyclops and jean. i'm not a fan of cyclops personally but jean could have had the boy next door type and a bad boy

mind you that the movies could have been a lot better in general, the characters were so underdeveloped.
I too think that this would've had a great relationship going IF you could remove the ego! Two alpha male types would tear her apart. Unless she used mind control on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioningperson View Post
A movie that could have seriously had polyamory was unfaithful with Richard Gere, Oliver martinez and Diane lane they both had such a fiery passion for her and also at the same time they brought out different sides in her. It would have been way better then how it actually ended with Richard Gere killing Oliver Martinez worst ending ever.
All I can say about this movie is... My wife LOVES IT!
I at first didn't like the movie because it was too much of a mirror for me. Sometimes things can go a certain way, and in a blink of an eye, everything changes. I also think different people and situations can bring out another side of you that sometimes you didn't know was there.

Now for my contribution: Harry Potter

I think Harry, Harmonie, and Ron where perfect for triad vee. It's obvious Harmonie can love them equally but different. Her interactions with Harry is sweet and affectionate, which is really different with Ron. They have almost a love hate thing going on.

At the end of just about each movie she is hugging both, holding hands with both, or in between them both. The last ending of the series showed it best.

There was no Jennie or anyone else. Just a closeup of the three that should always be together.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post

I think Harry, Harmonie, and Ron where perfect for triad vee. It's obvious Harmonie can love them equally but different. Her interactions with Harry is sweet and affectionate, which is really different with Ron. They have almost a love hate thing going on.

At the end of just about each movie she is hugging both, holding hands with both, or in between them both. The last ending of the series showed it best.

There was no Jennie or anyone else. Just a closeup of the three that should always be together.
How interesting I was just thinking the same thing and was gonna post it here today when I saw this post. They would have made a perfect triad. We finally got to see the last episode last night.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post

Lol I also was going to say Harry Potter! Hermione obviously loves them both throughout the series and the boys already care about each other. I think Jean Grey is powerful enough to handle both of her X-men. I mostly watch anime (and read lots of manga) though, and there are actually many poly-type shows/books. It's not just love triangles. I will say that they are mostly harem. For instance, Tenchi Muyo...even his parents have a triad or Sekirei! There are reverse harem but unfortunately, most reverse harem anime don't have poly endings. So far all the ones I've watched, if it's a girl she has to choose or chooses no one...although I'm not done with Vampire Knight (love triangle) yet, so who knows?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:31 AM

I thought this movie would of been listed,....

Hancock.

She loves both her husband from her 'old life' and her new husband. They both love her, and do their part trying to save each other.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Pearl Harbor

It would have been perfect if they stayed together, the men were already about to overcome their differences, but noooo one has to die for the perfect mono family with the child carrying the name of the deceased. *sigh* Would really been a great ending with all three of them.

My Blog
Old 09-18-2011, 01:53 AM

Wink Timer

Such a great romantic movie with spiritual overtones!! If only she could've had both of the guys.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
I thought one of the stories in "Love Actually" could have used a lil' Poly, but I can't be troubled to look into who the actors are. The guy who gets married, the girl, and his friend...the photographer. Them.
You're talking about Peter (Chiwetel Ejiofor) who marries Juliet (Keira Knightley) while Mark (Andrew Lincoln) is best man.

Love Actually - the first feature film directed [as well as scripted] by the screenwriter of 4 Weddings And A Funeral and Notting Hill - was pretty much savaged by the critics. Call me a soppy old romantic, but I thought - despite some sequences which are embarrassingly awful - it MUCH better than either of those 2.

I can't understand your statement:
Quote:
I thought one of the stories in "Love Actually" could have used a lil' Poly
at all! This story is dripping in polyamory!

(For those of who who haven't seen the film: it's made up of shuffled-together stories, so that it jumps from story A to story B to story C... comes back at some point to story A, then story D, then... comes back at some point to story A again, etc. with all stories having an epilogue at the same time at Heathrow Airport [London]. Bit players in story B turn up as major characters in their own story, F, vice versa, and so on.)

But somebody has taken the trouble to unshuffle the pack and pick out the bits of the story that Nexus refers to, which has been uploaded here. [Don't click on that YET!] Only they left out the epilogue which is included - along with everybody else' epilogue - here. [Don't click on that one either, yet!]

Nexus: Pay attention (in the first clip) to the points at 07:32 [when Juliet first starts to suspect], at 07:53 [when it's pretty obvious], and from 12:27 to the end of that clip [when she runs out of the house, kisses Mark for his open declaration and he ends up saying (to HIMSELF!): "Enough... enough now..."]

The fact that Mark says this proves that he isn't willing to cheat on his best friend. The fact that Juliet kisses him (like that) proves that she is attracted... (and not just sexually).

And then the epilogue ("1 month later"). Pay attention (in the 2nd clip) to the scene that starts at 0:42. Peter, Juliet, AND Mark show up together to meet Jamie and Aurelia off the 'plane. And they all seem happy... or at least relatively so. Mark mumbles: "Thought I'd tag along." And Juliet is ecstatic.

Open to interpretation:
a) Mark and Juliet have both admitted to an attraction / love for each other, but in order not to wound Peter, they've decided to put it behind them and be "just good friends". At least Mark's agonising of earlier has come to an end.
b) Mark and Juliet are having an affair, about which Peter knows nothing. I don't buy this, frankly. It's discounted as far as I'm concerned.
c) It's all open (polyamory) between the 3 of them, but they haven't come out of the closet as far as other friends are concerned.

I actually like the fact that it isn't spelled out for us. This may be pure marketing: if the ending had been rub-your-nose-in-it polyamory, they might have scared some of the die-hard romcom fans off. But there's certainly a hint that this is a possibility.

... And I can choose to believe the ending I prefer.

OK, you can go back and click on those links now.

p.s. The real ending to the film (included in that 2nd clip, after the camera has left off pointing towards the stars and shows unknowns hugging and kissing each other in the airport - to the sound of The Beach Boys singing "God Only Knows") is possibly my favourite closing sequence of any film.

p.p.s. Certainly not polyamory, but (in part because twice in my life I've started to learn a foreign language because of Love and I can empathise with declaring love in a foreign language for the first time), this is my favourite scene in the film (and it leads straight into the 2nd clip, linked above).
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson

Tags
fantasies, movies